+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: FaceTime Broken...Not by JB though

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or not but here it goes....I jailbroke a fresh restore of 4.0.1 on my i4, all went well FaceTime and
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default FaceTime Broken...Not by JB though
    I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or not but here it goes....I jailbroke a fresh restore of 4.0.1 on my i4, all went well FaceTime and MMS both worked perfectly. I installed My3G Unrestrictor and a few other things, everything was still working nicely. I continued to install about 50 more cydia packages and here's where it get fuzzy, to my best recollection FaceTime was still working(or at least showing up in Contacts and active calls) Now I installed all of those packages 2 days ago and FaceTime stopped working yesterday. MMS is still all good though. Interestingly FaceTime is still showing as being enabled in Settings.app, to try to fix it I have disabled and then re-enabled FaceTime, changed the relevant permissions to 755, reset network settings, disabled My3G, disabled all of my Mobile Substrate extensions and lastly reran jailbreakme.com, all to no avail. Also I took a look at my running processes and nothing seemed out of the ordinary but just in case does anyone have a list of the default tasks that iOS 4 runs? Has anyone else experienced this problem and found a fix other than a restore?(it's just a real pain in the *** to reorganize all of my folders and get all of my cydia pkgs as PkgBackup doesn't always work quite right!)
    TIA,
    Mike
    Last edited by mvhurlburt; 08-07-2010 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Argh typo...

Green Apple
    Thanks

I installed Rock and My3g and now all my facetime calls stall and fail at exactly 1 minute into the call. This happens on 3g as well as on wifi. Me, my brother and my girlfriend are having exactly the same problem. After 1 minute the call disconnects. I tried restore networks settings after installing my3g, I even made a full restore. Nothing works...

Thanks

I ended up doing a full restore and then reloaded all of my pkgs from PkgBackup and all was well for a bit more than a day. Checked the usual suspects again; network settings, Mobile Substrate, permissions, etc to no avail. After digging a little deeper and looking at the crash reporter log I noticed "imagent" was crashing each time it was attempting to load ..../My3G.dylib, my next step was to remove both My3G and Rock(thank god...I hate Rock!!!) then rebooted and just like magic FaceTime is back!

I guess I'll be waiting for a bug-free No Rock version of My3G or perhaps a FaceTime updated version of 3G unrestrictor. While I do hope that all happens soon I guess it's not all that bad considering I don't really have all that many people to FaceTime. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by PuppyPR View Post
    I installed Rock and My3g and now all my facetime calls stall and fail at exactly 1 minute into the call. This happens on 3g as well as on wifi. Me, my brother and my girlfriend are having exactly the same problem. After 1 minute the call disconnects. I tried restore networks settings after installing my3g, I even made a full restore. Nothing works...
    If you in fact did a full iOS restore via iTunes did you JailBreak right afterwards? If you did was FaceTime working before the JB? If so you are likely looking at a permissions problem, you can either update cydia, restore from a recent backup in iTunes(right click on iPhone in iTunes and select "Restore from Backup") or if you are familiar with the terminal either ssh in or use MobileTerminal for iOS 4 and run the following commands:

Code:
    chmod 755 /private/var/mobile/Library/
    chmod 755 /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/
    Last edited by mvhurlburt; 08-09-2010 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am having a similar issue. Facetime was working then all of the sudden the facetime button disappeared despite being enabled in settings. No matter what I try, it will not come back. Any suggestions? Or should I give up and restore/rejailbreak?

Thanks

Need more info...were you jail broken for a while and then the button disappeared? If so have you tried safe mode, reset network setting, permissions fix? Basically what have you tried so far? Is My3G installed?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sorry, yes I am jailbroken and it was working for a while then all of the sudden disappeared. My3G was installed, as was 3gunrestrictor, both of which I have removed. I have tried safe mode. reset network settings, reset all settings permission fix.. nothing works.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hockey9999 View Post
    Sorry, yes I am jailbroken and it was working for a while then all of the sudden disappeared. My3G was installed, as was 3gunrestrictor, both of which I have removed. I have tried safe mode. reset network settings, reset all settings permission fix.. nothing works.
    Dude, go to Settings>Phone>Facetime>On

Never mind, I read now that you have it enable in your settings...
    Last edited by PuppyPR; 08-09-2010 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Did not read the whole thread...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thats the problem, it is on. The facetime button is not showing up when I call another iphone 4 user who has verified that their facetime is working with other users, nor can they initiate a facetime call with me.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mvhurlburt View Post
    I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or not but here it goes....I jailbroke a fresh restore of 4.0.1 on my i4, all went well FaceTime and MMS both worked perfectly. I installed My3G Unrestrictor and a few other things, everything was still working nicely. I continued to install about 50 more cydia packages and here's where it get fuzzy, to my best recollection FaceTime was still working(or at least showing up in Contacts and active calls) Now I installed all of those packages 2 days ago and FaceTime stopped working yesterday. MMS is still all good though. Interestingly FaceTime is still showing as being enabled in Settings.app, to try to fix it I have disabled and then re-enabled FaceTime, changed the relevant permissions to 755, reset network settings, disabled My3G, disabled all of my Mobile Substrate extensions and lastly reran jailbreakme.com, all to no avail. Also I took a look at my running processes and nothing seemed out of the ordinary but just in case does anyone have a list of the default tasks that iOS 4 runs? Has anyone else experienced this problem and found a fix other than a restore?(it's just a real pain in the *** to reorganize all of my folders and get all of my cydia pkgs as PkgBackup doesn't always work quite right!)
    TIA,
    Mike
    I am having the same issues with my3g... so i switched to 3g unrestrictor...testing it out now...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ckat238 View Post
    I am having the same issues with my3g... so i switched to 3g unrestrictor...testing it out now...
    Cool, let us know how it performs, I only want Facetime over 3G, nothing more...

Green Apple
    Thanks
    did you guys get it fixed?? it just happened to me now. i had my3g they i installed 3g unrestrictor and after that facetime disappeared. I uninstalled my3g and 3g unrestrictor but still no go, anything else i should try?

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

I am having the exact same problem. And, I will through this information into the mix - If you go to Settings -> Phone and then turn off FaceTime, and then turn it back on, I constantly get the "Activation Unsuccessful" message, and I don't even have the option to place a FaceTime call anymore on any contact.

I am hoping someone discovers a fix for this. It happened once for me, and I did a full restore, re-jailbroke, etc, and all was working fine. But, within a few days, it was broken again. Now that 4.0.2 is out, I am not so anxious to try a restore.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have the same issues. tried restoring and wont work, i am really upset

"I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or not but here it goes....I jailbroke a fresh restore of 4.0.1 on my i4, all went well FaceTime and MMS both worked perfectly. I installed My3G Unrestrictor and a few other things, everything was still working nicely. I continued to install about 50 more cydia packages and here's where it get fuzzy, to my best recollection FaceTime was still working(or at least showing up in Contacts and active calls) Now I installed all of those packages 2 days ago and FaceTime stopped working yesterday. MMS is still all good though. Interestingly FaceTime is still showing as being enabled in Settings.app, to try to fix it I have disabled and then re-enabled FaceTime, changed the relevant permissions to 755, reset network settings, disabled My3G, disabled all of my Mobile Substrate extensions and lastly reran jailbreakme.com, all to no avail. Also I took a look at my running processes and nothing seemed out of the ordinary but just in case does anyone have a list of the default tasks that iOS 4 runs? Has anyone else experienced this problem and found a fix other than a restore?(it's just a real pain in the *** to reorganize all of my folders and get all of my cydia pkgs as PkgBackup doesn't always work quite right!)
    TIA,
    Mike"

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well people, to me it is the ROCK app. I installed MY3G and bought it. The problem of the Facetime disconnecting after 1 minute is there. We (My brother and me) then proceed to uninstall MY3G, and use WIFI, it disconnected after one minute, even with the system reboot. When we uninstalled Rock and performed a reboot to our iphones 4 Facetime over WIFI came back to normal.
    We then decided to buy 3G Unrestrictor, both of us were using FaceTime without any problems for more than 45 minutes over 3G. I then decided to try MYWI (installed it and the ROCK app) and the 1 minute cutoff issue came back. Only when ROCK was uninstalled everything worked OK over 3G with 3G unrestrictor. Everything was replicable with my fiancée iPhone 4. So, this was confirmed on 3 different phones.

I love MYWI, and I have recommended this app to all my friends. But MY3G under ROCK is buggy as we have all seen. I bought an APP that was and is advertised to make Facetime work over 3G and it does, but for over 1 minute.

To the developer, plase verify what makes 3G Unrestrictor works and what makes MY3G unreliable under ROCK. Right now I had to uninstall MYWI and MY3G because of this issue.

I know that during app developing you may encounter some bugs or stones on the way, but this have been going around for some time and you have received enough feedback from your costumers to see that this issue is real and that a “try rebooting your phone and see if it helps” is not enough for us.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I just found out I'm having this problem. Facetime was working fine and some time it stopped working. I just noticed today. Uninstalling Rock did not work.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Solution to this problem. No reinstall required
    Guys,

I had this problem myself. I tried installing the rock version of My3g. It did not work properly so I uninstalled it. Right after this is when the problem started. My facetime button disappeared. My toggle was set to "On" in the setting but still nothing. I searched online and found nothing of help.

So I started poking around in the file system with iFile. That's when I found the solution. I noticed that the IMAGENT.app program was crashing every time I logged on. So I took a look at the launch daemon for the app. Viola there was the solution.

Here are the steps I used to resolve this issue.

First make sure iFile is installed on your phone then you can follow these steps.

1. Using Cyberduck or any SSH program of your liking log into your iphone.

2. change your directory to /System/Library/Launchdaemons/

3. In this directory you will find com.apple.imagent.plist. Copy this file from your iphone onto your computer.

4. Now rename the file so it reads com.apple.imagent.plist.old

5. Now drag the com.apple.imagent.plist from your computer back into your iphone. This will re-upload the file. You should now have two copies of the file. One the original and the other .old.

6. Now using iFile installed on your iphone change the directory to /System/Library/Lauchdaemon

7. Click the com.apple.imagent.plist file. iFile will open it in the text viewer.

8. Click edit in the top left corner.

9. remove the following entry in the plist

"<dict>
    <key>DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES</key>
    <string>/Library/MobileSubstrate/MobileSubstrate.dylib:/Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/My3G.dylib</string>
    <key>NSRunningFromLaunchd</key>
    <string>1</string>
    </dict> "

10. Now click save. This will save the com.apple.imagent.plist.

11. Reboot your phone.

Viola your crashing problem should be gone and Facetime should be working again.

I hope this helps. I know it did for me.

Regards

Homersd1