Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia Beginner

Default Cydia Beginner
    Hello guys, how ya doin?

Just wanna say brilliant forum, been browsing around for the past week and found loads of useful info, as I've never owned an iPhone before.

I've just got myself an iPhone 4 a week ago and I absolutely love it to bits! But I've seen a few videos on youtube of you guys running Cydia? I am a total newbie at this so i'm guessing it's a different OS? So I just have a few questions based on that if that's okay..

What is Cydia? What are the pro's and con's of Cydia? How do I get Cydia on my iPhone? Does it void the warranty if i use Cydia? Once on Cydia can you revert back to the original OS?

any information will be greatly appreciated

thanks guys!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Jailbreak is whats it called.
    Last edited by igarys; 07-30-2010 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by igarys View Post
    TROll
    Sorry?

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

As of yet, there is no publically available jailbreak tool for an iPhone 4. So, sorry, you'll not be able to enjoy Cydia or Rock as of yet.

As for what Cydia is? It's at it's most basic an alternative app store. In Cydia is where you'll find the great, the good, the okay and the not-so-great apps that have been created outside of Apple's purview.

The way to get Cydia on your iPhone must begin with a jailbreak. This is mandatory, and there's no way around it. Most, if not all jailbreak tools that exist install Cydia by default.

And Cydia is NOT an alternate OS. It runs inside of your iOS, after jailbreaking.

Void your warranty? Well, yes. Jailbreaking voids your warranty, if they detect it. The jury is still out as to how good Apple is at detecting it. Which leads to...

...can you revert back? Yes. You can restore to factory defaults, and the jailbreak will be wiped away.

Since your phone is new, you may wish to get TinyUmbrella, and save your SHSH blobs. This will enable you to roll back, or revert to previous iOS versions. You might find this necessary if an update to the iOS removes functionality you enjoy. Please do a search on SHSH, and you should learn a lot about how they're used. With TinyUmbrella, it's very easy.

By the way, you'll only be able to save the blobs for 4.0.1. Whenever an update comes out, Apple stops signing the previous iOS version, and as such, getting SHSH blobs for the previous iOS isn't possible. You should save blobs whenever a new version is released.
    Last edited by Trooper Sam; 07-30-2010 at 12:55 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Trooper Sam For This Useful Post:

trancem (07-30-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Sam View Post
    As of yet, there is no publically available jailbreak tool for an iPhone 4. So, sorry, you'll not be able to enjoy Cydia or Rock as of yet.

As for what Cydia is? It's at it's most basic an alternative app store. In Cydia is where you'll find the great, the good, the okay and the not-so-great apps that have been created outside of Apple's purview.

The way to get Cydia on your iPhone must begin with a jailbreak. This is mandatory, and there's no way around it. Most, if not all jailbreak tools that exist install Cydia by default.

And Cydia is NOT an alternate OS. It runs inside of your iOS, after jailbreaking.

Void your warranty? Well, yes. Jailbreaking voids your warranty, if they detect it. The jury is still out as to how good Apple is at detecting it. Which leads to...

...can you revert back? Yes. You can restore to factory defaults, and the jailbreak will be wiped away.

Since your phone is new, you may wish to get TinyUmbrella, and save your SHSH blobs. This will enable you to roll back, or revert to previous iOS versions. You might find this necessary if an update to the iOS removes functionality you enjoy. Please do a search on SHSH, and you should learn a lot about how they're used. With TinyUmbrella, it's very easy.

By the way, you'll only be able to save the blobs for 4.0.1. Whenever an update comes out, Apple stops signing the previous iOS version, and as such, getting SHSH blobs for the previous iOS isn't possible. You should save blobs whenever a new version is released.
    Mate, that's the kind of reply I was waiting for.. Hats off to you buddy, that is very informative..

So there is no jailbreak tool as of yet..

What exactly is a SHSH blob?

I will do a search aswell and see what i can find

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

SHSH blobs are signatures from Apple that verify an iOS install on your device. Without such a signature, iTunes will abort installing any firmware.

SHSH blobs are generated according to a unique ECID in your device. As such, only ones generated for the specific device you have in your hand will work. They can't be shared, exchanged, nor even counterfeited, as of yet.

TinyUmbrella is very good for this task. Once you connect your device with TinyUmbrella running on your PC, it will request at your direction a SHSH blob from Apple for the OS you specify. The request generated by TinyUmbrella is identical to the request that iTunes makes of the Apple servers when you install a new firmware revision. The SHSH is then saved locally on your computer.
    Last edited by Trooper Sam; 07-30-2010 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Sam View Post
    SHSH blobs are signatures from Apple that verify an iOS install on your device. Without such a signature, iTunes will abort installing any firmware.

SHSH blobs are generated according to a unique ECID in your device. As such, only ones generated for the specific device you have in your hand will work. They can't be shared, exchanged, nor even counterfeited, as of yet.
    That's fantastic mate.. Thanks for all the help.. much appreciated!

Now I will go back to searching and poking my nose in different topics and see what more info I can find!