Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MobileTerminal

Default MobileTerminal
    Hi Guys

Just got given an iPhone 3G and the 1st thing I have done is jailbreak it using redsn0w. It is running iOS4.

Now I would like to get to the command line so I can run things from there (IRSII for example, I'm a linux penguin at heart ).

Unless I am missing something the only thing I can find on how to do this is with the MobileTerminal app?

So I have installed this through Cydia and rebooted. When I click on the 'Terminal' icon now though it just opens for a few seconds and then closes

Thanks for you help guys (or suggestions of an alternative?).

Shell

iPhone? More like MyPhone sgt.pepper's Avatar
    Thanks

mobile terminal isnt working yet for ios 4, and i dont think there are alternatives for it. google is your friend as alaways hahaha

HIT THANKS IF I HELPED!

13 recovery mode restores
    7 dfu mode restores
    2 custom firmware restores

iPhone? More like MyPhone shmi117's Avatar
    Thanks

Umm, there is a MobileTerminal. It was sent out as a BETA, on a google code page, but it was a .zip. Here: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service , it is packaged in a .deb. It works fine for me.

Oh yeah, just remember to have all the dependencies as the last latest version of MobileTerminal.

iPhone? More like MyPhone sgt.pepper's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shmi117 View Post
    Umm, there is a MobileTerminal. It was sent out as a BETA, on a google code page, but it was a .zip. Here: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service , it is packaged in a .deb. It works fine for me.

Oh yeah, just remember to have all the dependencies as the last latest version of MobileTerminal.
    oh cool. it works good? its in beta so idk if thats all fine and dandy

HIT THANKS IF I HELPED!

13 recovery mode restores
    7 dfu mode restores
    2 custom firmware restores

iPhone? More like MyPhone shmi117's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sgt.pepper View Post
    oh cool. it works good? its in beta so idk if thats all fine and dandy
    It works fine. The developers say it is unstable, but it is all good.

Also keep in mind you can SSH into the phone after OpenSSH is installed, and run commands that way. I've used this method to run Aptitude so I could uninstall a rogue program that was eating up all my CPU - couldn't get far enough into the menu to launch MobileTerminal.

I wouldn't recommend using MobileTerminal for anything serious like IRSSI just from a usability standpoint, especially since the iPhone keyboard doesn't have arrow keys (and swiping left 50 times to correct a typo I made is annoying). Yes it will work, but something developed specifically for the iPhone interface is much more enjoyable.