Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SSH without wifi using WinSCP?

Default SSH without wifi using WinSCP?
    Hey, I've been searching all over the internet trying to find how to SSH to my iphone without wifi but everything I've tried isn't working. Most things I've tried are old and I don't think they work with the iphone 3gs with 3.1.3. Can anyone help me with this problem? I want to SSH using WinSCP into my iphone 3gs without using wifi.

I've tried iTunnel and it didn't work. If it helps here's what it shows when I try to use iTunnel:

Did I do something wrong to make it do this or is iTunnel just outdated?
    It says the same thing when it tries to reconnect that's why it says the same thing twice.

If anyone could help that would be great.

Also, I'm not sure if this is in the right forum so sorry in advance if it's not.
    Last edited by robertr1; 06-10-2010 at 09:37 PM.

Thanks

Download "afc2add" from Cydia, it will auto install to allow full file system access through iPhoneBrowser through the iPhones USB sync cable.

iPhoneBrowser: Downloads - iphonebrowser - Project Hosting on Google Code

Thanks but I already have iphonebrowser (sorry for not mentioning that). I just don't like iphonebrowser because all I can do is change files in the iphone. I can't easily move files from my computer to my iphone using iphonebrowser that's why I use WinSCP. In other words, I really want to stick with WinSCP because I've gotten used to using it and it's very simple.

Thanks

You can drag & drop files/folders into IPB... not easy enough? Well, you can also try iPhone Explorer for your liking. If that doesn't meet your desire, then hopefully someone else has an idea?

iPhone Explorer - A USB iPhone browser for Mac and PC

Good luck!

I think I used the wrong word when I said easy. I meant I like having everything in one window instead of opening up two windows. I guess I'm just weird but it looks too cluttered to me and I like how basic WinSCP is, I don't see the point in seeing the same folders twice on one screen. I just rather this:

Instead of this:

If there isn't a way to use WinSCP without wifi then I'll use iphoneExplorer. Thanks I actually like iphoneExplorer.

Thanks

I see what you are trying to say. You like the user interface of WinSCP, which is similar to most FTP clients. Unfortunately, you won't be able to specifically use WinSCP through USB mode. WinSCP is connecting to the iPhone through SSH/SFTP tunnel (secure file transfer protocol). The SSH protocol is only used through means of a network connection and data stream. While you are using the USB to transfer files back & forth to the iDevice, you aren't using the SSH protocol.

You can achieve the same (or similar) user interface as WinSCP by finding an iPhone USB file transfer program with that user interface design, I dunno if there's one out there as of right now..... so I guess you will be stuck with iPhone Explorer if you want to use USB mode for the mean time.

Exactly and thanks for the explanation. I guess I'll just be using iphone explorer when I don't have wifi.

Consider "iPhone Folders" instead. It installs a new drive to My Computer that you can access just like any other drive. Dragging and dropping files to copy them to and from your iPhone is exactly like you were doing it between two folders on your computer. You'd just have to have two Explorer windows open or use the clipboard to copy and paste as you flip between folders.

It's definitely worth looking into. I tried iPhoneBrowser and iPhone Explorer beforehand, but was very dissatisfied with the lack of features.

EDIT: I assume you already have afc2add installed, but you'll need it if you don't.

You could always tile windows side by side and make it all pretty that way