+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New to the JB community...looking for some directions

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Greetings all, So I finally made the plunge this week to JB my phone. I have an iPhone 3G on 3.1.3. I figured out how to JB with Spirit (not
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default New to the JB community...looking for some directions
    Greetings all,

So I finally made the plunge this week to JB my phone. I have an iPhone 3G on 3.1.3.

I figured out how to JB with Spirit (not terribly difficult, I know). I have learned to navigate my way around Cydia, find apps to DL and all that.

I found this site and have registered. Now I am hoping to get some answers to some questions from the community:

1- Theme-ing: I know about Winterboard and downloading themes. My question here is regarding "complete" themes, like the various "OS"-es. I love the look of them (especially iLink) but I'm at a loss for how to install the things. I think I'm missing a step for where to manipulate the files, where they are residing initially, etc.

Take iLink for example. The post about it in the Theming forum mentions moving files and putting them in specific folders (.plist files and such into /var/folders etc). I am familiar with Linux so its not unintelligible I just don't know where to start looking for these type of config files after purchasing/DL app. Also how to move them onto the phone in the correct location.

2- Making my own themes: is there a post somewhere that has the dimensions for all the items needed to make themes? Icons, backgrounds, sliders, etc. Types of image names? (I think .png for the graphics is correct, but what else would be needed?) I have looked around but I'm so new I don't know what terms are best to search for.

3- I guess I'm really just looking for "The Basics," i.e here are some standard things I will need to know to really get my hands dirty in customizing my phone.

I'm professional tech support so I'm confident I will be able to understand the programs/directions. I just need to know what they are.

Thanks in advance for any input, hope this wasn't too "wall of text!"

-Jolly

Actually just found the wiki I think that might be all the answer I need.
    Last edited by JollyRoberts; 05-29-2010 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost