Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Guide] Duplicate Applications (advanced)

I realized I was doing something wrong with ifile but my problem now lies with my incompetence and I am not sure how to copy an app so that I may edit it.

help
    iphone folders isnt supported for windows 7 64 bit!

Thanks that makes sence now. So how do i copy the folder with the game and put it back with the rest edited? I can edit it from ifile but i dont understand how to make a copy i can fool around with.

Could someone please elaborate on the following instructions?

1. find the app you want to copy, and copy it. any name will do

Exactly how do you copy the app? Which directory is the app? I'm talking about third party game app. I see those directories under /User/Applications with long strange names. Are those the ones I should copy? If so, do I need to follow the format of the long names?
    And for the copy, it doesn't create anything when I right click and choose "paste". (I am on PC using the iphone folder tool, and I right clicked and chose "copy" already.)

Thank you very much.
    Last edited by chengen; 11-29-2011 at 10:03 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chengen View Post
    Could someone please elaborate on the following instructions?

1. find the app you want to copy, and copy it. any name will do

Exactly how do you copy the app? Which directory is the app? I'm talking about third party game app. I see those directories under /User/Applications with long strange names. Are those the ones I should copy? If so, do I need to follow the format of the long names?
    And for the copy, it doesn't create anything when I right click and choose "paste". (I am on PC using the iphone folder tool, and I right clicked and chose "copy" already.)

Thank you very much.
    Get i-FunBox, Open it up, navigate to the location of the app you want to copy. "right" click on it and click transfer to PC. A window will pop up. On the left side of the window click on desktop image. Then click okay whatever it says down there to confirm it. It will copy to your desktop and there you will be able to edit it. When done editing, open i-FunBox again and go back to where that app was and drag it to that location. It will copy to that directory correctly provided you changed the name of it.\
    Last edited by Z!G; 12-07-2011 at 10:27 PM.
    {~~iPhone-4 (CDMA)~~~~iOS 5.0.1~~~~redsn0w 0.9.10b3~~}

{~~iPod Touch-4G~~~~iOS 5.0.1~~~~redsn0w 0.9.10b3}

And yes, My jailbreak is sooooooooooooooooooo smooth and flawless. Well, almost flawless

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Z!G For This Useful Post:

chengen (12-09-2011)

My previous post is gone!
    Anyway, here is basically what I posted.
    Thanks for the i-FunBox, it's cool. However, after I copy app from /Users/Applications directory on iphone to my PC and edited the info.plist file like the original post instructed, I can not copy it back into /Users/Applications directory on iphone. That level appears to be locked, can't paste, can't create new folder.

I managed to create a new directory under the /Users/Applications directory directly from inside mobile terminal, and then I used i-FunBox to copy all the sub folders and files from the original app into this new folder (after edited info.plist file). However, the new app does not show up on my iphone. What else can I try?
    (I did respring and reboot too)
    Last edited by chengen; 12-09-2011 at 02:47 PM.

Thank you. I got i-FunBox, which is pretty cool. But I still can't do what I wanted, which is to duplicate an app to a different name, not just rename it.
    I see my apps are under "User Applications" folder. I pick one out and did "Copy to PC ..." and I did get it on my PC. I edited the names in the info.plist file as original post instructed. I also edited the folder name (that very long name with letters and numbers, I just changed the last letter). But I can not drag and drop the folder back to the "User Applications" folder on the iphone, which is where I copied the original app out. I can't create a new folder under "User Applications" folder either (if I can I will be able to drag and drop the sub folders and files back in). It seems the "User Applications" folder is locked at that level. I can drop things in the subfolders inside, but that doesn't do what I needed, which is to create another app. Also the paste option is disabled at that level.
    Am I missing something?
    What re you duplicating? A standard mobile app or a game. If it is a game then coppying to var/mobile /applications. And if you can't drag the file back to the folder you want, then copy it some where else and use iFile to copy and paste it to the place you want it. If you are trying this with a standard mobile app, like Facebook for example. It will never work. You cannot change the code names of the apps (all them characters the re the names of the app). Those have to be generated by a symlink generator. Those are not just random numbers. They are encryption...............basically. As for how games work, well I really do not know. I just know the tutorial for this only works for games, but I have no interest in duplicating a game. I tries to duplicate a couple regular mobile apps, and I technically did, bit they did not work, and just kept crashing. I messed with the code for a while and I could not figure it out. I too changed the last letter on the Symlink key so the app wouldn't automatically sync to the app,s folder which has the same name. Which is what happens if that key not changed. I did discover that each app has it'a own symlink, I am thinking this one price of code is to prevent duplication. But I am no coder. I thought id try tho. Good luck. And if u do find a way to duplicate standard mobile web app, like Facebook, please post back. I would live to know how to do it.

Thank you ZiG for your reply.
    I wanted to duplicate just a regular game. But I basically gave up now. I can not get it to work. I am on PC so I don't have iFile either. Since I want to duplicate the game obviously I have to change the name of the folder. But it doesn't work no matter what I name the folder. If the long folder name is encryption then I understand why it doesn't work. So I gave up.

Well I'm sorry to here you couldn't get to work.

However I noticed you said you don't har iFile, because you on a PC. I'm on a PC also. iFile is a package from Cydia. It,s free to use but for extra features you have to buy it. 5 bux. If you have an iPhone then you can have iFile. It is not a desktop application. It is an application you install on your phone through Cydia.

In the Cydia home page, tap on "Featured" then tap on " File managers and sharers" then you will see iFile. Install it.

iFile is an absolute "must have " for any jailbroken iPhone/iPod Touch.

ZiG,
    Thanks for your reply. I thought iFile is a MAC application.
    I will get iFile on my iphone and give this another try.

ZiG,
    I got iFile but I am still confused. I want to duplicate a game. The game is already in the /var/mobile/Applications directory (with that long coded name). If I want to make a copy and still put it under /var/mobile/Applications then I must change the name of the folder. If the folder name is some kind of encryption how can I change it and have it still work?
    Last edited by chengen; 12-30-2011 at 05:56 PM.

Thanks

ZiG,

I got iFile but I am still confused. I want to duplicate a game. The game is already in the /var/mobile/Applications directory (with that long coded name). If I want to make a copy and still put it under /var/mobile/Applications then I must change the name of the folder. If the folder name is some kind of encryption how can I change it and have it still work?
    This what I mean when I say, not all apps work.

You cannot change the name of encrypted keys and put it back. It will be there, but that's all it will do is be there. Nothing else.

You have to change the name of the actual app. For example

App.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    To
    App2.xxxxxxxxxxxx

But most of the time it the will not show up in te applications folder.

But sometimes it does.

Basically..........if you did follow this tutorial perfectly. .............
    And it did not work.

Than it's not going to.

Unless you find a different tutorial.

M I can't know for sure but I bet the real way to actually duplicate icons is nothing like this tutorial at all

Plus I think this tut is kind of old, not sure how old, but think I found this a good while ago.

So maybe the iOS updates have made this obsolete for devices above a certain firmware. I don't know.

But I can say I do not have all the answers, I can only tell ya about my experiences. And I have ne'er duplicated a game before, so definitely check to make sure you follow the directions exactly.
    Make sure.
    And like I said, if it doesn't work from. Following the directions exactly it problably never will. at least not with the particular game you are trying to duplicate. But maybe another game. Either way if that's the case, all can do is try and hope it works.
    Believe it or not, something can work well on one iPhone and not work at all on another identicle iPhone, with a perfectly identicle setup.
    Which pretty much doesn't make sense but I've seen it many times.

And I absolutely made sure the 2 devices had the exact same extensions from cydia. And the exact same settings.
    Had to check just to be sure of coarse.

Well......good luck. I hope you do find a way, or you make your own or whatever. If ya do find a way, please post back, as I would like to duplicate apps too, just not games, which made this tutorial pointless for, cuz I knew or only works on certain games before I tried it. But I had had a base to start with , but with intention to duplicate mobile app. Not a game.

I learned a couple things tho.

And the big one was...you need a symlink generator to even make the app work, run, operate,etc.

But what I think happen is the sym generator processed the actual name of the app. Turn a few letters into code. And the rest of he characters are I'd's of some kind. But I can't be for sure.

But theoretically duplicate an application an be done if you know how to symlink. (good luck with that......that sh**s hard to read up on).

I gave up on cuz so much of the info I found led to nothing but spam. So I stopped.
    l

I feel the same way. Read many pages of different instruction but either don't understand them all to follow correctly or follow them as good as I can but things don't work as described.
    I tried edit the folder name with iFile and the app still works. But when I make another copy it doesn't show up. The only thing I can think of is to copy the content of one game into the folder of another and see what happens. I will do that some other day.
    BTW, what is this symlink generator you are talking about?

Default no push notification
    Hi all

I was able to duplicate Whatsapp and Viber . I have zipped the packed and used ********** to install them . both Whatsapp's are working fine except for one thing, push notification won't work for the clone Whatsapp , only the original one shows push notifcation . I mean remote push notifcations nad not the local ones that pop up when the app is runing and connected in the background.

If any devs run across this, it would be a perfect 99c Cydia app:

Open the app, list the installed apps to duplicate, when clicked it gives two buttons: option 1 to duplicate the app entirely (and mentions the different data folders), or option 2: Create a shortcut (Same data in both icons).

This whole process is a pain, and I would gladly pay for it to work around the multiple-login issue in the current highrise app.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123