Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Getting iSwitcher/Summerboard/rSBT/Customize to play nice

Default Getting iSwitcher/Summerboard/rSBT/Customize to play nice
    Before I get into this, I figured it would be worth mentioning that I currently have SSH enabled on my iPhone and that's how I've been getting files onto my iPhone...Now on with the questions...

I cannot figure out the best way to use iSwitcher, Summerboard, rSBT, & Customizer with each other so that I can make my iPhone look the way I want it to...Some of these apps have the same capabilities as one another, and some of them have capabilities that seem to override things that have been setup in one of the other apps...

For example, setting the number of apps/icons that appear in the dock can be done using rSBT & Summerboard...Which should I use? - From doing some simple experimenting, it seems that rSBT overrides whatever the Summerboard prefs are setup for...so I would assume that I should simply use rSBT...correct?

If I want to use an iSwitcher theme, should I configure Summerboard to use it's 'iSwitcher' theme, so that it respects whatever custom GUI alterations have been applied by the particular theme I've chosen in iSwitcher?

What about the wallpaper that appears on the springboard...does whatever I have chosen in the default 'Settings' app on the iPhone in any way conflict or affect what wallpaper appears as a result of whatever theme I have applied?

What about applying custom icons, docks, or wallpaper using Summerboard...In exploring the Summerboard themes folder, I noticed that most default themes seem to have a Dock.png, MiniDock.png, Wallpaper.png files in the root folder of the theme, as well as a folder in there called "Icons" inside of which are a number of .png files that have custom icons for many of the iPhone's applications...Can I just create my own new theme folder, place any .png fill in there and name it wallpaper.png (and make sure its 480x320px), and then upon choosing that theme in the list of summerboard themes, expect that it shows up as the main wallpaper on my iPhone?

What about the custom icons...I've downloaded lots of the files from the "Homescreen Icon Sets" downloads section of this website and notice that a lot of them contain folders named according to the applications on the iPhone, and within each of these folder there's a single custom icon file named 'icon.png'...How can I use these icons? Are they specifically made to be used with the "Install .pbi" customization utility available on this website? Is there a way to use them with Summerboard or iSwitcher? The only way I have figured out how to do so is by manually renaming each icon.png file to correspond with the name of the application that I would like to use the icons with, and then placing them into an 'Icons' folder within Library>Summerboard>Themes...Is this the only way? Is there a quicker way?

Any suggestions that anyone can offer regarding any of the questions I've asked here would be sincerely appreciated...Thanks!

Very interested about the "Homescreen Icon Sets"
    part.
    couse i was downloading and than uploadingall the files one by one into my phone

Quote Originally Posted by m021478 View Post
    Before I get into this, I figured it would be worth mentioning that I currently have SSH enabled on my iPhone and that's how I've been getting files onto my iPhone...Now on with the questions...

I cannot figure out the best way to use iSwitcher, Summerboard, rSBT, & Customizer with each other so that I can make my iPhone look the way I want it to...Some of these apps have the same capabilities as one another, and some of them have capabilities that seem to override things that have been setup in one of the other apps...

For example, setting the number of apps/icons that appear in the dock can be done using rSBT & Summerboard...Which should I use? - From doing some simple experimenting, it seems that rSBT overrides whatever the Summerboard prefs are setup for...so I would assume that I should simply use rSBT...correct?

If I want to use an iSwitcher theme, should I configure Summerboard to use it's 'iSwitcher' theme, so that it respects whatever custom GUI alterations have been applied by the particular theme I've chosen in iSwitcher?

What about the wallpaper that appears on the springboard...does whatever I have chosen in the default 'Settings' app on the iPhone in any way conflict or affect what wallpaper appears as a result of whatever theme I have applied?

What about applying custom icons, docks, or wallpaper using Summerboard...In exploring the Summerboard themes folder, I noticed that most default themes seem to have a Dock.png, MiniDock.png, Wallpaper.png files in the root folder of the theme, as well as a folder in there called "Icons" inside of which are a number of .png files that have custom icons for many of the iPhone's applications...Can I just create my own new theme folder, place any .png fill in there and name it wallpaper.png (and make sure its 480x320px), and then upon choosing that theme in the list of summerboard themes, expect that it shows up as the main wallpaper on my iPhone?

What about the custom icons...I've downloaded lots of the files from the "Homescreen Icon Sets" downloads section of this website and notice that a lot of them contain folders named according to the applications on the iPhone, and within each of these folder there's a single custom icon file named 'icon.png'...How can I use these icons? Are they specifically made to be used with the "Install .pbi" customization utility available on this website? Is there a way to use them with Summerboard or iSwitcher? The only way I have figured out how to do so is by manually renaming each icon.png file to correspond with the name of the application that I would like to use the icons with, and then placing them into an 'Icons' folder within Library>Summerboard>Themes...Is this the only way? Is there a quicker way?

Any suggestions that anyone can offer regarding any of the questions I've asked here would be sincerely appreciated...Thanks!
    well lol...let's start at the beginning, and remember, these are only suggestions and not necessarily the only way to get everything to play nicely, just the way i prefer to do things.

i believe you are correct in saying the rSBT overrides the other themes icon layouts, it's best to use this if you need to switch something around, or to hide new icons and all that good stuff.

if you want to use an iSwitcher theme, open up summerboard and turn off the theme wallpaper, theme status bar, theme icons, and theme dock. that way, all you'll have to do is switch them back on when you do want to use summerboard again for it's themes. after doing that, install your theme using iSwitcher and you should be ok there.

the wallpaper in the settings/preferences app only applies to the lock screen. the wallpaper included in the themes is for the actual home screen, so you can actually have two wallpapers set(though it looks kinda cool with just one, depending on your theme).

as far as creating your own summerboard themes, you can do exactly that, as long as you keep everything named the same as the themes currently in the /var/root/Library/SummerBoard/Themes folder on your iPhone, including the same capitalization and all that. Dock.png and Wallpaper.png are obvious, they install the dock and wallpaper to your phone, provided you have the show theme wallpaper and theme dock. the icons are also kind of obvious, though the naming convention is a bit odd in my opinion. like i said, just make sure you have your icons for your theme named the same as the ones in a different theme folder, and you should be ok.

as for the custom icons you've downloaded, they can all be used in a summerboard or an iSwitcher theme, though it takes a bit of work. you have to rename all the icons to whatever program's naming scheme you are using. so, for example, you want to make a summerboard theme out of some of those icons, and all of the icons you have are in the folders for their respective program. you have to take each one, rename it to what summerboard needs it to be named(so the MobilePhone.app icon.png needs to be renamed to Phone.png, the MobileNotes.app icon.png needs renamed to Notes.png, etc) and then placed in your new theme folder. i believe there is a tutorial up on how to create your own summerboard and iSwitcher themes, it helped me out quite a bit.

i hope that helped a little, lol ^_^

Thanks for the reply...

Out of curiosity, a number of the icons sets I've downloaded from the Homescreen Icon Sets downloads section of this website result in a folder structure of icons that are arranged in a folder structure in which the name of the folder corresponds to the application that the icon is meant to be used for, but each icon is simply named 'icon.png' - Is there any way to use these icons sets in their original downloaded format with summerboard or iSwitcher (i.e. keeping them named icon.png but also keeping them in the folder structure that they were downloaded in)?

not with iswitcher or summerboard unfortunately, not yet at least. as i said, to use those downloads with either one would involve picking all the images out and renaming them all which is a very tedious task. i don't know if they will implement support for that structure or not. that's actually .ipb format, which is what the skinner that the fine folks here at mmi came up with. it keeps the directory structure and filenames the same as the iphone, then when you run the installipb.pl script as they show in the directions it puts everything where it needs to go. downside to this? you have to have your phone connected to your computer to do it.

i was looking into seeing if you can run this awesome program from the iphone on the go, and just store .ipb formatted themes on your phone, but no luck so far. i like it because it lets you set sounds and images for everything no matter where it is on the iphone, as opposed to the programs currently available which just let you set certain items.

customize is looking rather promising though, hopefully the developers will implement some way to set up themes, so you can just click on one button(the name of your theme) and have it set everything for you instead of going through all the options one by one.

Quote Originally Posted by rianbattle View Post
    not with iswitcher or summerboard unfortunately, not yet at least. as i said, to use those downloads with either one would involve picking all the images out and renaming them all which is a very tedious task. i don't know if they will implement support for that structure or not. that's actually .ipb format, which is what the skinner that the fine folks here at mmi came up with. it keeps the directory structure and filenames the same as the iphone, then when you run the installipb.pl script as they show in the directions it puts everything where it needs to go. downside to this? you have to have your phone connected to your computer to do it.

i was looking into seeing if you can run this awesome program from the iphone on the go, and just store .ipb formatted themes on your phone, but no luck so far. i like it because it lets you set sounds and images for everything no matter where it is on the iphone, as opposed to the programs currently available which just let you set certain items.

customize is looking rather promising though, hopefully the developers will implement some way to set up themes, so you can just click on one button(the name of your theme) and have it set everything for you instead of going through all the options one by one.

Ultimately I'm hoping that the functionality of rSBT and Customize are added to Summerboard with theme support.... in other words, I'd like for each theme to not only know what icons, dock, and wallpaper to use, but also what display order, sounds, bar dialer, wifi icons, etc... to use when that theme is loaded.

I find myself wanting a 5 icon dock with the last row hidden and VNotes in the upper left location when I use the Matrix or Redskins summerboard themes, but I want a 4 icon dock with the standard icon order and no rows hidden when using a custom theme I created... or fire, or any of Loring's themes. Not to mention that I want a different wifi, carrier badge, battery, signal strength, etc... with each theme. This takes waaaaaay too long using the combination of rSBT, Customize, and Summerboard..... in fact if rSBT and Customize would let me save my current "set" of icons or display order in a preset that would make things much easier...... then at least I could load my Redskins theme in Summerboard and then fairly quickly change to my Redskins "preset" in Customize and rSBT to get the right "extra" icons and display order for that theme.