+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I need to free up some memory

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
I am down to 10MB memory my phone is so slow and crashes wen looking at safari with any pictures on it...I NEED HELP! I tried the instruction below, but
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default I need to free up some memory
    I am down to 10MB memory my phone is so slow and crashes wen looking at safari with any pictures on it...I NEED HELP!

I tried the instruction below, but I am on firmare 3.01 so bosstools wont install...

Quote Originally Posted by reddawg View Post
    The system folder is located on the root partition, which is only 500MB. Since the firmware for your iPhone 3G (2.x) is stored in the /root partition, it doesn't leave a lot of room for other things. For example Cydia jailbroken apps are installed in the root partition.

BigBoss has a utility called "BossTools" found in the Cydia installer that moves all your applications, system fonts and a few other things to the larger partition (/private/var).

I have a iPhone 3G running firmware 2.1 and have installed BossTools and have moved all my apps, fonts from /root to /private/var and everything works fine. After running "BossTools", I now have 165MB free on my /root partition.

For those interested in how it works, it moves the apps, fonts to the new location on /private/var and then creates symlinks (like shortcuts) in the original folder that point to the new location. If you know anything about Unix or Linux, you will understand.

Note: Another method for those who jailbreak, is to use PwnageTool and increase the size of the root partition so it is bigger than 500MB. I think BigBoss' BossTool is safe and works fine, but the choice is yours.
    Digg

Thanks

And you found the need to post two threads whyyy????
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

You could create the symlinks yourself

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by angiepangie View Post
    And you found the need to post two threads whyyy????
    A. I didnt get any useful answers

B. I figured I posted in the wrong section

really I just need help either you will or you wont

Thanks

These kind of problems are common due to residue left behind (or installed) by 3:rd party apps from e.g. Cydia.
    Just do a clean restore and I am 100% that the problem is gone - the chance is that you would still be OK after reinstalling yr current 3:rd party apps
    Do hope that helps

**uoʇʇnq sʞuɐɥʇ ǝɥʇ ʇıɥ puɐ puıʞ ǝq noʎ pǝdןǝɥ sɐɥ ǝuoǝɯos ɟı**