+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Enable Tethering on 3.0 (No App Required)

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Post Enable Tethering on 3.0 (No App Required)
    The non-availability of tethering and MMS features in the U.S at the time of the launch of iPhone OS 3.0 was probably the most disappointing news that was announced at the WWDC 2009 Keynote address.

However, some clever folks have figured out a way to enable tethering on iPhone OS 3.0 without the need to jailbreak their iPhone.

There are several methods floating around to enable tethering on iPhone OS 3.0 but I found the method where you can enable it via iPhone’s Safari, the easiest.

The process of tethering allows your laptop to use your iPhone’s data connection to surf the internet.

The idea behind the hack to enable tethering on the iPhone running iPhone OS 3.0 is to download a .ipcc, which is carrier specific and update your iPhone with it via iTunes. The procedure gets even simpler using iPhone’s Safari browser.

Step 1:

Folks at BenM.at have hosted several iPhone tethering configuration files for many carriers across several countries. You need to go to the following link help.BenM.at using iPhone’s Safari browser.

Step 2:

Then click on Mobileconfigs on that page:

Step 3:

Select your country from the list.

Step 4:

Once you have selected the country, you will be prompted to select the provider.

Step 5:

Tap on the Install button.

Step 6:

Then tap on the Install Now button.

Step 7:

Tap on the Done button.

Step 8:

Finally, go to Settings -> General -> Network -> Internet Tethering and tap on the toggle button to enable tethering.

That’s all, it is as easy as that and no hacking required, can you believe it and the best part is it’s free.

Guide from iphonefirmware.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Enable Tethering on 3.0 (No App Required)-download1.png   Enable Tethering on 3.0 (No App Required)-download2.png  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to str8adonis For This Useful Post:

hrag525 (07-25-2009), spam_artist (07-16-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone ugshotgun's Avatar
    Thanks

FOR AT&T USERS WITH A FAMILY TEXT MESSAGING PLAN!!

One thing I've learned so far, is that I'm an AT&T iPhone user running the 3GS and I also have the 3G. On both phones, running the "AT&T Family Text Messaging PLan" I've NOT had to use the BENM site to get my mms working.

All I did was ran the command line to get iTunes 8.2 to accept the .ipcc carrier upgrade. Shift/Update, then install the 5.0 carrier file.

I then took my sim out of the iPhone, put it in another at&t non-iphone, and made a couple of calls. I then went to: https://mymedianet.wireless.att.com/...46%253a24%2bAM

Once there, I put in my cell phone number, and hit submit, it then sent me a text message on the non-att phone with four digit code, I then entered that code on the media net site and hit submit again.

Prior to removing the sim from the non-att phone, I sent myself an mms using that phone, once I received it, I then put my sim back in the iPhone and rebooted.....WALLAH, I now have Teathering and MMS functionality.

Hope this helps the AT&T users.

Chris
    Last edited by ugshotgun; 07-16-2009 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Added AT&T
    Main Phone: HTC ONE & Note 2 - Work: iPhone 4s - Tablet: iPad 2, The best of both worlds!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ugshotgun For This Useful Post:

hrag525 (07-25-2009)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

When i tried to uninstall this, I am no longer able to connect to the AT&T data network.....is there a better way to uninstall it?