Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Schedule-a-reboot app

Default Schedule-a-reboot app
    I have a jailbroken iPhone 3G and the thing works great. I make sure I dont have too many un-neccessary background processes running and most apps work fine.

The thing is there are a few apps which start working a bit sluggishly if your iphone has been running for a few weeks or days without a reboot. I find this particularily with the Maps app and a few games. They work ok on a stale iphone but work very well with a freshly-rebooted iphone.

This got me thinking how nice it would be to wake-up to a freshly rebooted iphone everyday. Is there any way to schedule daily/weekly reboots of the iphone? Why is there no app for that?

Yeah, I bet someone could make an app like that pretty easily nowadays with mobilesubstrate and everything, but apparently Apple might be doing something like that already for firmware 4.0! :iPhone 4.0 OS: event based modes, intellingent and scheduled communications Unwired View
    "Spaceships don't come equipped with rear view mirrors..." -Andre Benjamin the 3000th

look into launchd. Launchd is the replacement for cron and cron is what schedules events. If you can figure out a way to tell launchd "do this every x" like you can cron then you're in business. I don't know how to use launchd and launchctl or I would have posted it here.

The only caveat is that if you tell your phone to reboot, it will. That's not a problem if you're not using it, but what if you're using it one day at 11pm (for the sake of argument) and that's the time it's set to reboot? It will...and you'd better hope what you were doing was ok to be interrupted. i.e. not installing, removing, configuring any applications, messing with system files at the time, etc.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to crashspeeder For This Useful Post:

aceslick911 (07-08-2009)

@crashspeeder..

you definetely have a point with the random reboot feature.

Although a dialog box saying "iPhone will re-boot in 30" could overcome such a risk...