Results 1 to 20 of 20

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: WeatherIcon - Question mark

  1. #1
    Default WeatherIcon - Question mark
    Hey there!

    Well, I've been crawling the forums to find a solution to my problem but it seems like WeatherIcon has several issues and very certainly they're not the same to everyone so, my problem is:

    1. I've installed WeatherIcon from Icy but all I see is a question mark

    2. I've tried to install "WeatherIcon - TICK" and several other WeatherIcon "skins"... Still the same question mark...

    3. Then I've installed "WeatherIcon - Eraser" and it worked!!

    Cool it worked!!!! But hey, that's not the one I want as my live weather icon... Any clue? Thanks!

    My stuff: iPhone 3G, FW 3.0 jailbroken of course, Icy installed, Abeo Theme.
    Last edited by mklinoo; 07-02-2009 at 07:26 AM.

  2. #2
    Livin the iPhone Life Simtech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    2,387
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 304 Times in 276 Posts

    WeatherIcon is not working right now for FW 3.0.
    You need to wait for the update.

  3. #3
    Ok but why does it work with WeatherIcon - Eraser ?

  4. #4
    There has been an update to WeatherIcon. v. 2.1.10
    It just isn't in the normal repositories.
    I just loaded WeatherIcon 2.1.10. And it DOES work in 3.0!

    I turned on the Status bar image and temp, and I only see the Temp, but hey, it's working! Also, the Icon has the correct temp displayed. I'll have to wait until tonight to see if the image changes though.

    Just add David Ashman's source david.ashman.com/apt/ in Cydia and it will be there. Version 2.1.10

    One thing though, after installing, Cydia informed me I had to respring. My phone came back in Safe Mode. So I restarted the phone and everything is working fine now!

    Spydertech

    So, I guess the question is, which version of WeatherIcon are you using. I haven't checked Icy, so I don't know whhich version is there for installing.

    I installed it from the above repository in Cydia, and everything worked fine for the temp. With no WeatherIcon themes installed my icon was always sunny, but the temp was correct. I loaded the Klear theme and the icons are changing according the weather and time now.

    Spydertech
    Last edited by Spydertech; 07-02-2009 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Spydertech For This Useful Post:

    mklinoo (07-02-2009)

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Spydertech View Post
    There has been an update to WeatherIcon. v. 2.1.10
    It just isn't in the normal repositories.
    I just loaded WeatherIcon 2.1.10. And it DOES work in 3.0!

    I turned on the Status bar image and temp, and I only see the Temp, but hey, it's working! Also, the Icon has the correct temp displayed. I'll have to wait until tonight to see if the image changes though.

    Just add David Ashman's source david.ashman.com/apt/ in Cydia and it will be there. Version 2.1.10

    One thing though, after installing, Cydia informed me I had to respring. My phone came back in Safe Mode. So I restarted the phone and everything is working fine now!

    Spydertech

    So, I guess the question is, which version of WeatherIcon are you using. I haven't checked Icy, so I don't know whhich version is there for installing.

    I installed it from the above repository in Cydia, and everything worked fine for the temp. With no WeatherIcon themes installed my icon was always sunny, but the temp was correct. I loaded the Klear theme and the icons are changing according the weather and time now.

    Spydertech
    Thanks man, I'm gonna try right away!

    WARNING: Oh yeah it has nothing to do with WeatherIcon but, people, stay away from "chigaco live weather" winterboard theme, I installed it through cydia and it crashed, then cydia wouldn't load and now I have to start the jailbreaking thing from scratch... Arf... Just be careful!

    Exactly the same safe mode problem and then restarted and it works perfectly! Awesome!
    Last edited by mklinoo; 07-02-2009 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  7. #6
    Glad to help. Amazingly, I found the answer with a regular web google search, then a page jump or two. I'm surprised that David hasn't made an announcement here yet.

    Maybe he is still working on the problem of the safe mode issue, or the fact the icons don't change unless you load a weather theme seperately. The other bug I noticed is that I have to respring from the settings page for any changes to stick. Aah well, I'm just glad to have WeatherIcon working again!

    Spydertech

  8. #7
    My iPhone is a Part of Me iTJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    North Augusta, SC
    Posts
    527
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 287 Times in 196 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Spydertech View Post
    Glad to help. Amazingly, I found the answer with a regular web google search, then a page jump or two. I'm surprised that David hasn't made an announcement here yet.

    Maybe he is still working on the problem of the safe mode issue, or the fact the icons don't change unless you load a weather theme seperately. The other bug I noticed is that I have to respring from the settings page for any changes to stick. Aah well, I'm just glad to have WeatherIcon working again!

    Spydertech
    Yeah David is working on solving the issues with OS 3.0. The crashes don't happen as often as before. A few versions back I couldn't even get out Safe Mode and just had to uninstall it. The respring may never be fixed due to the fact that WeatherIcon (and others like WinterBoard, FCSB, etc.) are MobileSubstrate plugins which alter the springboard and require a respring if any changes are made. In one of the previous versions of WeatherIcon, David removed the icons, so people could create themes for it and not be stuck with the generic images.

    One thing I do want to ask is if anybody is having issues the icon temp itself. My problem is this: the stock weather icon temp. reads 73, of course when I apply WeatherIcon the temp changes like it's suppose to. The thing that bothers me is after I turn it off, the last temp. given on the icon stays there and doesn't change back even after respring and reboot. I just want to know if anybody else has noticed this as well.
    New MacBook Pro - $1199.99
    New iPhone 3Gs - $199.99
    AT&T iPhone Plan - $89.99/month

    Modding your new iPhone against Apple's wish with friends on MMi - Priceless

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by iTJ View Post
    Yeah David is working on solving the issues with OS 3.0. The crashes don't happen as often as before. A few versions back I couldn't even get out Safe Mode and just had to uninstall it. The respring may never be fixed due to the fact that WeatherIcon (and others like WinterBoard, FCSB, etc.) are MobileSubstrate plugins which alter the springboard and require a respring if any changes are made. In one of the previous versions of WeatherIcon, David removed the icons, so people could create themes for it and not be stuck with the generic images.

    One thing I do want to ask is if anybody is having issues the icon temp itself. My problem is this: the stock weather icon temp. reads 73, of course when I apply WeatherIcon the temp changes like it's suppose to. The thing that bothers me is after I turn it off, the last temp. given on the icon stays there and doesn't change back even after respring and reboot. I just want to know if anybody else has noticed this as well.

    I noticed the same thing, and it was like this when I had iPhone OS 2.2 and weather icon. What I did this time around was The Weather Channel Free for my weather, and Klear for the weathericon theme, and that problem doesn't seem to happen.

    Spydertech

  10. #9
    "Just add David Ashman's source david.ashman.com/apt/ in Cydia and it will be there. Version 2.1.10"

    Can you please explain how to do this?
    Thx,
    Rik

  11. #10
    My iPhone is a Part of Me iTJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    North Augusta, SC
    Posts
    527
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 287 Times in 196 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Spydertech View Post
    I noticed the same thing, and it was like this when I had iPhone OS 2.2 and weather icon. What I did this time around was The Weather Channel Free for my weather, and Klear for the weathericon theme, and that problem doesn't seem to happen.

    Spydertech
    That's really weird because it worked perfect on 2.2.1 for me and this only happened on 3.0. It's not a big deal for me, but it was weird.

    Quote Originally Posted by guitarinsight View Post
    "Just add David Ashman's source david.ashman.com/apt/ in Cydia and it will be there. Version 2.1.10"

    Can you please explain how to do this?
    Thx,
    Rik
    Open Cydia on your device --> Manage (bottom bar) --> Sources. On the top bar select Edit --> Add and then type in david.ashman.com/apt/ and hit Add Source. That's all there is to it.
    New MacBook Pro - $1199.99
    New iPhone 3Gs - $199.99
    AT&T iPhone Plan - $89.99/month

    Modding your new iPhone against Apple's wish with friends on MMi - Priceless

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to iTJ For This Useful Post:

    guitarinsight (07-03-2009)

  13. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by iTJ View Post
    Open Cydia on your device --> Manage (bottom bar) --> Sources. On the top bar select Edit --> Add and then type in david.ashman.com/apt/ and hit Add Source. That's all there is to it.
    And really...that was all there was to it!

    Thx!

    How can I change the location of the weather? I work in a town 20 minutes from my home. Office is inland...home is by the coast and so the weather is usually quite a bit different. It appears that it is showing the inland weather.

    Thx again.

  14. #12
    just drag the city in first place (in the Weather app settings)

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to mklinoo For This Useful Post:

    guitarinsight (07-03-2009)

  16. #13
    That's what I used to do before I upgraded to 3.0 but now it doesn't seem to recognize that I switched locations.

  17. #14
    My iPhone is a Part of Me iTJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    North Augusta, SC
    Posts
    527
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 287 Times in 196 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by guitarinsight View Post
    And really...that was all there was to it!

    Thx!

    How can I change the location of the weather? I work in a town 20 minutes from my home. Office is inland...home is by the coast and so the weather is usually quite a bit different. It appears that it is showing the inland weather.

    Thx again.
    Quote Originally Posted by mklinoo View Post
    just drag the city in first place (in the Weather app settings)
    mklinoo is right. If that doesn't work there are two other ways. In the Settings app there should be a WeatherIcon section. Inside there select Override location and type in the ZIP code (if it is different) or SSH to /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/com.ashman.WeatherIcon.plist and edit the line that says: (the ZIP code is my area)
    Code:
    <key>Location</key>
    <string>29841</string>
    and change the ZIP code to the one you want.
    New MacBook Pro - $1199.99
    New iPhone 3Gs - $199.99
    AT&T iPhone Plan - $89.99/month

    Modding your new iPhone against Apple's wish with friends on MMi - Priceless

  18. #15
    edit*
    Last edited by guitarinsight; 07-03-2009 at 11:34 AM.

  19. #16
    My iPhone is a Part of Me iTJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    North Augusta, SC
    Posts
    527
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 287 Times in 196 Posts

    Hmm that's strange. Which version are you using? I personally haven't come across that problem. Try changing the settings back to what they were and see what happens.

    EDIT: Just tried using 2.1.13. I got the question mark only when I tried overriding as well. I'm not sure what can be done about it. When I changed back to the original setting it reverted back to displaying the temp. I guess WeatherIcon will have to be updated further to correct the change of location.
    Last edited by iTJ; 07-03-2009 at 11:42 AM.
    New MacBook Pro - $1199.99
    New iPhone 3Gs - $199.99
    AT&T iPhone Plan - $89.99/month

    Modding your new iPhone against Apple's wish with friends on MMi - Priceless

  20. #17
    What I originally did was change "override location" and rebooted..got the "?".

    So I turned off "override location" and it is back to the way it was showing temp and pic of the light clouds.

  21. #18
    My iPhone is a Part of Me iTJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    North Augusta, SC
    Posts
    527
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 287 Times in 196 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by guitarinsight View Post
    What I originally did was change "override location" and rebooted..got the "?".

    So I turned off "override location" and it is back to the way it was showing temp and pic of the light clouds.
    I guess we'll have to wait for an update.
    New MacBook Pro - $1199.99
    New iPhone 3Gs - $199.99
    AT&T iPhone Plan - $89.99/month

    Modding your new iPhone against Apple's wish with friends on MMi - Priceless

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to iTJ For This Useful Post:

    guitarinsight (07-03-2009)

  23. #19
    Trust me when I say that I am very happy it is working! I removed all but the city I wanted from the Weather app and now I have it. Thx!

  24. #20
    i finally got my status bar image to work!...weathericon got updated again to 2.1.15...and i had to download Weathericon - FLICK theme from cydia...after i installed, i had the image pop up on my status bar all of a sudden lol...and it actually updates along with the weather..

    i actually haven't had the issue of the weathericon disappearing after reboot/respring anymore since this update


    Carl

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •