+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Backup Program

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Here's a neat idea for an app: Backup all your 3rd party app's and more importantly settings. Perhaps uploads them to a site so you can copy them to your
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default iPhone Backup Program
    Here's a neat idea for an app:

Backup all your 3rd party app's and more importantly settings. Perhaps uploads them to a site so you can copy them to your mac, or even better transfers them by WiFi/Bluetooth to the computer.

It would be useful when updating your iPhone as all you would need to do is copy all the files back again after the update.

I wouldn't have a clue how to make an app like this, but I think someone should have a go!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Dude, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Because I'm sure new firmware (due soon they say) will clear out all unknown files. I think everyone has spent quite a bit of time installing apps and tweaking settings. If there was a way to back up everything to an archive file, that would be awesome.

However, looking at the file structure... it seems that data is put in different places for each app, so it might not be so simple. Or it may only work for certain apps that are specifically addressed with the backup app.

If only I could program for the iPhone in .NET, I would get to work on this. But hopefully someone with the skillset will take interest in this... it would be one of the few critical apps I think.

Well, spoke too soon. Looks like our wonderful Mod CyberGreg is on the case:

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=backup

Rock on Greg.
    Last edited by aggiejy; 09-24-2007 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

the kanye west of programming drunknbass's Avatar
    Thanks

i just restored my phone and updated firware and then used installer to reinstall all the apps i wanted and my old prefs came back, so i think itunes backs up the /preferences folder when it makes your phones backup

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drunknbass View Post
    i just restored my phone and updated firware and then used installer to reinstall all the apps i wanted and my old prefs came back, so i think itunes backs up the /preferences folder when it makes your phones backup
    YES - I noticed that too, or at least it doesn't completely trash the files system. I mean I still had iSwitcher and SummerBoard themes installed and everything. Although... it might be short lived as Apple will be clamping down very hard on unlocked and even 'unjailed' phones..
    White 3G