Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: mobilephone.app CRASH

AKA pierrechampoux Andis Jackson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default mobilephone.app CRASH
    I'm not sure if I am putting this in the right place, but I spent about an hour and half restoring after this problem happened, and I am wondering if anyone could give me some help.

I installed the newest version of the retro dialer recently, and it was working fine. I wanted to change the look to the ALT version, so I did. Then, after working perfectly for about two days, yesterday, everytime I went to use mobilephone.app, it crashed to the springboard. I couldn't get to favorites, voicemail, or even dial a single number. The only way I could call someone was directly from my contacts icon on the homescreen. After trying to reinstall the dialer for about an hour, I gave up, and restored.

I've since re-jailbroken, but I am very nervous about replacing my dialer. I LOVED the retro look, but not enough to warrant a full restore every couple of days.

Any help that anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

-Pierre

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Andis Jackson For This Useful Post:

danvicente (08-12-2008)

i have the same problem as you have, i cant open mobile phone just crashes and its after updating retro dialer, and this really s--ks, i am on 1.1.4, and i have every single app working through fixes or modifications and it would be a real huge headache to have to restore my phone,.... is there a fix for this that anyone knows of so that i do not have to restore, ... thanks to anyone who puts in their time in helping me out.

I had the same issue, however my retro dialar lasted for probably about 1.5 weeks before it started crashing. To be honest tho, I think it had to do with caterpillar's 2 day trial running out. I had to do a full restore, which worked out well for me anyways as I was still running 1.1.3. 1.1.4 seems to be quicker and more stable.

Bottom line is that I wont be messing with either app.

Thanks

The more I am reading, I think that the expiration of Caterpillar may have been the culprit. I am curious to know, however, if uninstalling that program would have solved my problem...Any takers??

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Andis Jackson For This Useful Post:

SandersOnSite (10-09-2008)

Uninstalling caterpillar is not easy. It puts files deep into your iphone, all over the place. I found a post somewhere about a guy who emailed ripdev asking for correct uninstallation procedures, but he said after he did them there was still stuff left over from caterpillar. You could also try deleting files via SSH, but that could be dangerous as well. Your best bet is probably to stick with the restore.

Thanks

Wow- I didn't know that about Caterpillar. Considering I only really wanted to try it for the font switching capabilities, I'll be happy to wait for FontSwap to return rather than try Caterpillar again. IMHO, if Caterpillar wants people to subscribe, rather than rendering the phone app useless, maybe add a pop up reminder. Just a thought...

hey guys i was just running the two day trial with caterpillar.. it was working fine for the two days and then when it wouldnt let me use their settings my phone app starting crashing. I was about to restore before I came to this. I uninstalled it and everything is working now. To uninstall it you open it up hit uninstall and switch everything to off. Then i uninstalled it on the installer. Just thought that would help.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    A similar thing happened to me guys, but with the Kate beta on installer 4.0 beta. Way too many betas there, no wonder had some problems. 8-) Yeah running 1st gen on 2.0.1 pwn'd... working perfectly till installed Kate, then phone app problems. could only call from contacts icon like previous poster. I found that uninstalling Kate from the installer 4.0 app solved everything without even restarting the phone let alone having to re-jailbreak... Maybe the same with Caterpillar. Hope this helps some of you.

just remembered Caterpillar is the same program as Kate so should fix all your problems. Hope works for u all
    Last edited by DrAIR; 08-13-2008 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DrAIR For This Useful Post:

notluf (08-24-2008), SandersOnSite (10-09-2008), SteveDave (08-15-2008), Superman497 (09-25-2008), T3K (08-14-2008)

Quote Originally Posted by DrAIR View Post
    A similar thing happened to me guys, but with the Kate beta on installer 4.0 beta. Way too many betas there, no wonder had some problems. 8-) Yeah running 1st gen on 2.0.1 pwn'd... working perfectly till installed Kate, then phone app problems. could only call from contacts icon like previous poster. I found that uninstalling Kate from the installer 4.0 app solved everything without even restarting the phone let alone having to re-jailbreak... Maybe the same with Caterpillar. Hope this helps some of you.

just remembered Caterpillar is the same program as Kate so should fix all your problems. Hope works for u all
    Worked perfectly thanks

Default iPhone 'Phone app' crashing
    Same situation just happened to me over lunchtime today - able to send receive SMS - able to make calls through the Contacts app, but the Phone app froze at the Dialler and bounced back to the springboard.

I've been using 2.0.1 for about a week with no issues and had no idea why this sudden problem appeared. I systematically removing the last few apps I had installed and it seems sure enough, as DrAIR pointed out that the *KATE Beta* was the cause of the problem.

If I've learned anything from this then it's perhaps wise to at least think about researching any new apps you'd like to install - but where's the fun in that!

EDIT: - I heard that apparently the problem is caused by a clash between KATE and the DOCK. I don't have much time to look into this atm, but perhaps there's a way to disable the standard dock. Has anyone come across this yet?
    Last edited by SteveDave; 08-19-2008 at 06:38 PM.

Ive already unnistaled Kate but PhoneApp still crashes Ive rebooted already... Ideias?

EDIT: Ok, ive arranjed myself by going into Rip Dev Prefs and disabling Kate features (All of them)... It worked, PhoneApp works again
    Last edited by bronxmad; 08-19-2008 at 09:07 AM.

Default It was Kate
    Uninstalling Kate did it for me to. Now my phone app is working.

Don't bother with the one hour or longer restore, just uninstall or disable Kate.

Keywords:
    Kate, phone.app, retrodialer, can't dial, Caterpillar, retro dialer, phone app
    Last edited by notluf; 08-25-2008 at 10:23 PM.

I am having the same problem after having jailbroken a vanilla 3G with 2.0.2 and started playing with Themes.
    I don't have Kate installed, nor used any of the Installer. The only progs I used were Cydia and Customize. I have applied complete and partial themes from Customize which I suspect might be causing this problem.

I'm looking for debugging tools for processes to help me find that problem. Any pointers on where to find truss, strace, ktrace or similar tool for iPhone OS?

After some tests with my iPhone I figured that my problem is different from what others are experiencing but it's related to a 3rd party App! BossPrefs.
    In my case, I have toggled Edge to off in BossPrefs and for some reason this was crashing mobilephone.app.

My guess is that my phone has Visual Voicemail and I guess it uses Edge to talk to the VVM switch so when I turn off Edge from BossPrefs the mobilephone.app crashes and would not load? hope this helps someone who has VVM and toggled Edge off with BossPrefs.
    Last edited by EdmondB; 08-30-2008 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

17. The Following User Says Thank You to EdmondB For This Useful Post:

adamnur (09-12-2008)

Thanks guys. After uninstalling Kate, everything worked well. I'm running Firmware 2.0.1 on my 8gb iPhone. I was wondering why I wasn't able to make any calls and my phone app kept crashing. Again, thanks a lot.

thnx uninstalling kate did it

Same here. Kate was at fault for crashing my MobilePhone.app.

Just wanted to add that I also experienced this with mobilephone.app after installing Kate.

MobilePhone.app disappears shortly after opening.
    MobilePhone.app crashes after opening.

THE GOOD NEWS IS.......

After reading this thread I uninstalled Kate - which crashed my springboard and pulled all the icons out of my "Categories" and made a huge mess......but it was easily cleaned up (go into "Categories" and remove all the icons from the folders - re-spring and then put them back in) and I can now use the mobilephone.app again without any issues.

Problem Solved.

Ok - tech stuff out of the way with.

<Rant>

Quote Originally Posted by DrAIR
    Sad to say I haven't had a lot of luck with apps from Installer 4. I never saw anything to make me assume all the software in there was all still in beta but I have had to draw that conclusion.

I always thought that Cydia being open source was a better idea - but I liked the idea of it having a competitor too.......competition breeds improvement and all that good stuff...

From my recent experiences I am starting to think the installer.app's days are numbered....

This is the 3rd time in 3 weeks I have contemplated restoring my iphone and starting again. The last 2 times I actually did restore it. But since this was the second time I had come up against the same issue (mobilephone.app not working) I thought I might try and fix it this time.

The first time I restored it I was installing something (cant even remember what it was) from installer 4 and springboard crashed and kept crashing like every minute or 2. This in itself wasn't a problem - everything still worked - but every time it crashed it re-arranged all my icons.....

Doesn't sound so bad? Every time I went to do anything at all on my phone, in my portable games machine or watch anything on my TV or listen to some music OR surf the net on my PC I would have to spend a couple of minutes trying to track down where the damn icon had gone.....spread over 4 or 5 pages this can take a while.... (I use my iphone to do all those things "most" of the time excepting perhaps the web surfing which is probably more like half the time)

It was really annoying - the sort of thing that will eventually have you hurling your phone into the toilet and taking a dump on it just for the satisfaction of knowing you have laid as much **** on it as much as it did on you.....

Anyways - to cut a long story short(er). Until I find a really compelling reason to make me believe otherwise I am going to treat all apps in installer as being in beta (as well as installer itself) and only install them if I have some time to kill fixing my phone.

Cydia FTW!

Edit** 2.0 Second Edit. People now thanked. And put in quoted bit so my post makes a little more sense and give credit where credit was due.

I also edited the tags so that hopefully others wont spend as much time trying to find a solution as I did.
    Last edited by SandersOnSite; 10-09-2008 at 05:52 PM. Reason: spelling / punctuation / credit where credit was due.

Default turned all of it off, uninstalled kate and "ripDev preferences" and still wont work!!
    can anyone help me? i have had the same problem for about a day now and i turned everything inside of the the kate settings to "off" then uninstalled it from installer along with "RipDev Preferences" and my mobilephone.app still wont work!!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

did you reboot. try a complete power down twice

Default restore...
    yeah, i tried every remedy i could find on here but none of it worked and i couldn't find a replacement for mobilephone.app, and i was in need of my phone this week because its finals week. too busy for problems, so i just did a restore.. hopefully any of you will have more luck/time than i did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast