Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Printing from iPhone

Default Printing from iPhone
    Has anyone thought about what it would take to add printing capability to the iPhone?

I could be wrong but say your printing from a powerbook to a printer being shared by a mini mac. I don't think you have to have printer drivers installed on the powerbook.

So what would it take to be able to print from the iphone to a shared printer?

Or because what I am most interested in being about to print is a page form Safari would it be easier to develop an app that would use the iphone mail client to send the page as a pdf so someone as an email?

thoughts, suggestions, ideas anyone

2. The Following User Says Thank You to knowram For This Useful Post:

dominic56 (04-22-2008)

my guess would be that you would probably need drivers and a kind of port of the printer manager from os x. Also it probably would not be too hard to print a screen shot but if you want to print a webpage you would probably have to edit some of the code from safari, but thats my guess I really know almost nothing. But I do think that the best way to implement the printer action is through dock.( like screenshot except it prints)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Erix18 For This Useful Post:

dominic56 (04-22-2008)

Green Apple
    Thanks

You'd have to download cups and the GIMP printer drivers and compile them with the toolchain, but you'd never get print from ie. Safari or Mail.app on your own without support for extensions or something.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hillie For This Useful Post:

dominic56 (04-22-2008)

Yes, without application support for printing, screen shots would be about the best you could hope for.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimbo For This Useful Post:

dominic56 (04-22-2008)

Livin the iPhone Life iphonejeff's Avatar
    Thanks

we dont have copy paste what makes u think we could print...
    mod edit, old signature removed

10. The Following User Says Thank You to iphonejeff For This Useful Post:

dominic56 (04-22-2008)

Quote Originally Posted by iphonejeff View Post
    we dont have copy paste what makes u think we could print...
    Lol, so true.

On-Topic, it would be a very nice feature to have, but I see it as being way to advanced for it to be developed. First, you would HAVE to have a WiFi Printer. Second, as someone said before me you would need iPhone - compatible drivers. Finally, as someone else said you would need extensive modification to Mail.app and Safari.app or anything you would want to print from.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Megahalo For This Useful Post:

dominic56 (04-22-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Huh?

I print from my iPhone from day one!

1. Create an AppleScript on your home computer which prints the attachment from any email which has 'PrintLW640' (or whatever you like) in its subject.
    2. Open Mail on your iPhone/touch, add 'PrintLW640' (or whatever name you want to give it) to the subject (like 'NewProspects PrintLW640'. Send the e-mail to your home email address. The attachment will automagically be printed...
    3. More than one printer? Add multiple scripts with different printernames (like my PrintLBP5000 for color prints ;-).

(tip: http://www.ryanhunt.biz/t.x/applescr..._From_Mail.fll)

Good luck,

Adam.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to macspotter For This Useful Post:

Chrispyjay (11-23-2008), dominic56 (04-22-2008)

Hello, would you please make a Youtube video about the below? lol, it would be nice (I'm totally kidding)... you lost me at AppleScript.. I am assuming that's only for MAC OS...

Quote Originally Posted by macspotter View Post
    Huh?

1. Create an AppleScript on your home computer which prints the attachment from any email which has 'PrintLW640' (or whatever you like) in its subject.
    2. Open Mail on your iPhone/touch, add 'PrintLW640' (or whatever name you want to give it) to the subject (like 'NewProspects PrintLW640'. Send the e-mail to your home email address. The attachment will automagically be printed...
    3. More than one printer? Add multiple scripts with different printernames (like my PrintLBP5000 for color prints ;-).

Good luck,

Adam.

Adam,

Your Simplicity of this is absolutly Genius!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by macspotter View Post
    Huh?

Good luck,

Adam.
    Any of you using Outlook can do the same thing by using Tools> Rules Wizard> Check where it say's 'With specific Names in the Subject' and then name it what ever you like 'print Lenovo 622 DCP501'> Print it> then add any exceptions if you so choose> Then name your rule 'print Lenovo 622 DCP501' and then activate it by clicking on Finish.

side note, you will probably need to toggle/check that you want all attachments printed as well.

Again Adam, Thank You,

Chris
    Last edited by Chrispyjay; 11-27-2008 at 11:31 AM.

Default iPhone print app
    There is now an app in the app store that enables you to print, click the link to check it out - it is great and works really well! Costs just $2.99

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...299423224&mt=8

on the app note print n share has got a good reputation for being a reliable app to be able to print from ipad etc