+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MobileSubstrate Apps memory usage breakdown?

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
I've been looking (and searching) for a way to determine how much memory is being used for each item using MobileSubstrate, and I'm hoping that someone can help. Alternatively, can
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default MobileSubstrate Apps memory usage breakdown?
    I've been looking (and searching) for a way to determine how much memory is being used for each item using MobileSubstrate, and I'm hoping that someone can help. Alternatively, can someone RATE these by order of how much memory is used?

I have the following add-ons that depend on MobileSubstrate. Does anyone have numbers for each of these to tell me how much (using default settings) memory is used by each? (and yes, I included MobileSubstrate in the list because it uses memory by itself)

AutoCorrection SBSettings
    Autolock SBSettings
    Backgrounder
    Clippy
    Clippy SBSettings Toggle
    CyDelete
    Cyntact
    Fast Notes
    Five Icon Dock
    FiveIrows
    Lock Calendar
    Mobile Substrate
    Notifier
    PreferenceLoader
    Processes
    QuickGold
    Rotation Inhibitor
    SBCustom Icon
    SBSettings
    sbsettingstoggles
    WinterBoard
    20 Second Lock Screen

I keep seeing posts that WinterBoard is a big memory user, but there's no way to compare with the others on my list.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Holy crap I hope you don't have ALL those installed at once or your phone is most likely almost unusable! You will def not find anyone with a "rating system" or any empirical accurate numbers. The only way you can research this is to uninstall EVERYTHING except sb settings or memtool and write down how much free memory you have before and after. Always do a reboot before testing. I would say each one uses 1 MB or so (or less) with the exception of winterboard which uses 5-8 in my experience.

My iPhone has about 45MB free after a factory restore with only SB settings installed. After iblacklist, quickgold, categories, winterboard, notifier and irealquickSMS I'm down to 36MB after a reboot. After several hours of use this can drop as low as 9-12MB b/c of memory leaks so I have to respring multiple times per day.
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 05-08-2009 at 02:14 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

deepdvd (05-08-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thanks for responding.

yes, I do have them all installed, and yes I use them all.

For reference, with all those installed... SpringBoard takes about 24.44MB

So I should really be asking how much memory SpringBoard takes for you or anyone else reading... ?