+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Using Categories.app to Organize Web Clips??

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Does anyone know if you can use 'Categories' to create folders for organizing your web clips? From the looks of it, it would appear that it is not able to
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Using Categories.app to Organize Web Clips??
    Does anyone know if you can use 'Categories' to create folders for organizing your web clips?

From the looks of it, it would appear that it is not able to do this, but there are a number of preference settings which I am unfamiliar with, so I figured I would ask to have some confirm this one way or the other...

If it does not support adding web clips category folders, is there a work around of some sort that would allow me to do this (perhaps by relocating my Webclips via SSH)?

Any other thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated...Thanks!

Green Apple
    Thanks

As of right now there is no way to put your web clips into a category. Big Boss (creator of Categories) has mentioned he is working on this.

Here's what you can do now:

Use iphone apper: http://www.jonsthoughtsoneverything.com/iphone_apper/

to create website links that appear as apps to your iphone.. Then you can use categories to move them. The problem with "web clips" right now I guess is that they iphone looks at those differently than your regular apps.

Hope this helps.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sn0wballz For This Useful Post:

mgmm1 (03-30-2008)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks for the tip!

Out of curiosity, after creating one of these apps using iPhone Apper, Do I simply SSH into my iPhone (firmware 1.1.3) and drop the app into the /Applications folder?

I could have sworn that I'd read a forum post somewhere in which someone who tried doing this wound up experiencing repeated continuous reboots of thier iPhone...I just wanted to check with you (and everyone else out there) before going ahead and dropping this into my /Applications folder

Any thoughts?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to m021478 For This Useful Post:

DaveiPhone (03-11-2008)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yep, you just want to SSH into the phone and drop it into the /Applications folder.

Worked fine for me and I am on 1.1.3.

I'm not sure however if you need to set permissions. If there is any problem opening it up, just make sure they are 755.

Green Apple
    Thanks

thanks for the update!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by m021478 View Post
    I could have sworn that I'd read a forum post somewhere in which someone who tried doing this wound up experiencing repeated continuous reboots of thier iPhone...I just wanted to check with you (and everyone else out there) before going ahead and dropping this into my /Applications folder

Any thoughts?
    To clarify: The problem was that under firmware 1.1.3 and higher, Springboard had a limit as to the number of applications that can installed. (approximately 79). If you exceeded the limit, the result was a continuous reboot, until you deleted enough apps to get below the limit. Webclips don't count toward the limit, but applications made with iPhone Apper do.

This problem is fixed if you have Summerboard 3.2 or higher installed, otherwise it is still an issue.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mgmm1's Avatar
    Thanks

Default It works for 1.1.4
    I used the link above and was able to get the apps on the home screen and move with Categories. I have fw 1.1.4.

Also, changed the permissions to 755 on both the Info.plist and the Embark file just in case.

The process is slow, at least for the sites I tried, but it does the job.

One tip for sites that require a username and password: you need to use the URL address that will displays the login info. I logged into my hotmail account on my pc and tried to use the url for the page that displayed my email. After the app was created I opened the folder and the Embark file was missing.

I re-tried the procedure using the URL that displayed the username and password login and the completed app included the Embark file.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

the link for iphone apper no longer works. does any1 know where i can still download it?