Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: App for Tethering Laptop

Default App for Tethering Laptop
    Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I am curious is anyone has heard of work on an app OS side or phone side or both, for tethering a laptop to the iPhone EDGE connection. This would be on the top of my list (well perhaps 2nd after Skype). Any thoughts on if it is possible or if someone is working on it.

this has been there for quite some time...hacktheiphone.net or check out the wiki on this site for more guides.

It is true. I have to admit I'm a bit of a sissy, and was hoping for something a bit more friendly. Pretty icons and things. AppTapp and Unlock are so great they are maybe spoiling some of us. If I'm looking at the same guide as you mean, it is definitely a bit tough for beginners.

Thanks for the reply

Thanks
    Has anyone ever tried to use this though? I've tried. I thought that edge was slow when using the iphone but when you use a laptop you get used to a certain speed. Edge on a actual computer seems so slow. I ended up just stopping in front of a real estate business and using their wifi.

*Helpful tip for those like me who travel often*

Real Estate businesses, hotels and apartment complexes are nice to park next to for a few minutes if you need to use the net for a minute.

hmm...i guess location makes a big difference. While connected to edge on my laptop through the iphone my download speeds are usually 15-25k. Definitely better than dialup and close to dsl speeds but obviously slower than cable. When im surfing websites and downloading decent sized email attachments i dont even realize that im using my iphones edge.

I have stayed away from sites like youtube and downloading torrents ... b/c i know at&t has some clause where they dont allow that....so i couldnt tell you how that feels with edge....but otherwise i would have to say its actually not that bad.