Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SummerBoard theming makes me crazy.

Thumbs down SummerBoard theming makes me crazy.
    Finally we could add our own backgound to the homescreen,that's great. But the "Themes" setting brought us both convenience and bother.

Now I have to copy & paste the same wallpapers and docks into many folders to creat combinations..it just waste the space and time.

Could we just change background/dock/wallpaper separately instead of changing them all?

Under the wallpaper option in SMBPrefs, set it to settings instead of theme.

I don't want to use same image as wallpaper and background.I'd like to set them separately.Now we still have to continue creating folders.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default hard links
    To save space you can create hard links (or even symbolic links) to the wallpapers..

like say you have directoryA and directoryB, and dirA has a file in it you need in dirB too..

cd directoryB
    ln -s /path/to/directoryA/file .

That creates a symlink. in order to make it a hard link just take out the -s .. The difference is that a symlink is more like a shortcut in Windows, although it gets treated as the actual file on a filesystem level, so majority of things will obey it, when you edit the file, it IS the file not a file with info where the real file is, etc.

The hard link method will appear on the surface to create a copy of the file, and it will look like it is taking up more space, but when you look at how much space is left you will see it doesn't.

Basically all files are really just links to somewhere on the drive, making a hard link just adds another link to the same file on the hard drive. so it doesn't take up extra space, and files aren't deleted until every link to them is gone (even then they aren't deleted.. they're just not accessible, hence undelete programs)

So that's your answer to saving space.. I personally welcome summerboard's theme functionality. IMO it's better than downloading programs that "swap" out images and you may be stuck with a certain theme if something breaks.

edit: note. if you're trying to link something from anywhere else on the iphone to /var/root or vice versa the only choice is a symlink, because you can't have hard links across disks (technically the iphone is setup into two disk partitions) due to the nature of hard links.

Quote Originally Posted by hillie View Post
    To save space you can create hard links (or even symbolic links) to the wallpapers..

like say you have directoryA and directoryB, and dirA has a file in it you need in dirB too..

cd directoryB

That creates a symlink. in order to make it a hard link just take out the -s .. The difference is that a symlink is more like a shortcut in Windows, although it gets treated as the actual file on a filesystem level, so majority of things will obey it, when you edit the file, it IS the file not a file with info where the real file is, etc.

The hard link method will appear on the surface to create a copy of the file, and it will look like it is taking up more space, but when you look at how much space is left you will see it doesn't.

Basically all files are really just links to somewhere on the drive, making a hard link just adds another link to the same file on the hard drive. so it doesn't take up extra space, and files aren't deleted until every link to them is gone (even then they aren't deleted.. they're just not accessible, hence undelete programs)

So that's your answer to saving space.. I personally welcome summerboard's theme functionality. IMO it's better than downloading programs that "swap" out images and you may be stuck with a certain theme if something breaks.

edit: note. if you're trying to link something from anywhere else on the iphone to /var/root or vice versa the only choice is a symlink, because you can't have hard links across disks (technically the iphone is setup into two disk partitions) due to the nature of hard links.
    um yeah.. and I can't get users to 'click' on the main screen in iSwitcher... I'm thinking about 0.000003% of users will do this

Mind you not that it won't work, I'm sure it will. It's supposed to be click, select, press home

Although iSwitcher themes are easier, click, flip, flip,flip, select and you're done.
    White 3G

ok...i found i missed words in my article...

Could we just change background/dock/wallpaper separately instead of changing them all in next update?

actually this thread is about suggestions..

My iPhone is a Part of Me lifesmymachine's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hillie View Post

cd directoryB

you know, that actually made sense lol, /me is going to try it tonight..
    "The glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time you fall."