+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Using iKeyEx, can I create my own 5th row?

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Could someone walk me through on how to customize my own 5th row for the keyboard? I know basic coding, so I am not a total noob.
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Using iKeyEx, can I create my own 5th row?
    Could someone walk me through on how to customize my own 5th row for the keyboard? I know basic coding, so I am not a total noob.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ImMikeW View Post
    Very possible. First install Punctuation Mod keyboard via Cydia. In iKeyEx settings, Mix And Match, create a new keyboard using the PMod layout. Name it and add it to International keyboards ... and you are done, unless you want to make your own layout. I reverse-engineered pmod to make my own layout over the last three days, here is how:

In terminal/putty:
    1) navigate to /Library/iKeyEx/Keyboards
    2) cp -r PMod.keyboard mykbd.keyboard
    3) cd mykbd.keyboard
    4) edit (I like nano) Info.plist to reflect your keyboard's name
    5) edit layout.plist

EASY AS PIE!

No, not really, it's XML and cryptic as all hell. I attached mine to help you compare and learn. Notice the & is gone--ampersands bork XML, and I haven't found how to work around that. (Standard conventions like \& and &amp don't do it.) Dvorak 5-Row, also available on Cydia, is a great resource. The format is all weird and so you have more to learn from.

Note in mine that (apparently?) only the first Arrangement key (listing in sequence the number of keys per row) is relevant. The ones below are all wrong and it doesn't seem to make a difference. If you leave out the second ShiftedTexts array, it will automatically upper-case your "texts" array.

So I haven't solved the ampersand;
    I can't make the lower-case letters appear lower-case on the buttons;
    I haven't sorted fancy arrangements as in Dvorak-5;
    and I haven't figured out how to mod the numbers page layout.

I hope this helps. If you learn anything new, please add!
    Attached Files Attached Files

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

(My keyboard, when placed in /Library/iKeyEx/Keyboards/autobuck.keyboard, will appear in Mix and Match as "workingWOamp" as in "working, without the ampersand.")

Also, if you experiment with layouts, KEEP BACKUPS. If you screw it up, it will show the default 4-row keyboard. To avoid confusing iKeyEx and/or repeatedly respringing, make each new layout in a new folder, ie "mykey1, mykey2," etc. Re-using directory names will cause it to re-use old data. Idk why, I just worked around it.

Incidentally, the attached file's board is a little bit broken in URL and @e-mail fields. It's basically a careful cut-and-paste job to fix that. When I get around to fixing SMS' keyboard and the ampersand issue, I'll upload a new version and hopefully find a way to package it on a repo.
    Last edited by autobuck; 09-20-2009 at 01:21 PM.