+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: enable/disable autolock using charging status as the trigger

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Can it be done? I have programming skills if it's not available. Maybe I'm lazy, but when I plug the phone into the charger, I want autolock to disable. Of
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Cool enable/disable autolock using charging status as the trigger
    Can it be done? I have programming skills if it's not available.

Maybe I'm lazy, but when I plug the phone into the charger, I want autolock to disable. Of course, when I un-plug, I want autolock to enable.

I have my PC set to automatically push data to my phone at 1AM over wifi, but I have to remember to disable auto-lock (or enable insomnia) before going to bed.

This would also come in handy when moving in or out of the car, so google maps would stay on without telling it to disable autolock.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

That's a good idea! Having the phone auto-lock is almost useless because you don't need to conserve power when your phone is charging. Unless you're trying to charge your iPhone as fast as you can, in which case just make sure you turn if off because you should be doing this anyway, this would be perfect!

Also, it would be awesome to have different brightnesses for when your phone is and isn't plugged in. I wish I could have the brightness turned all the way up when it's charging, but down low when it's not.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It looks like the charging status isn't something that can be checked by 3rd party apps.. But I think my wifi is staying on when it's plugged in regardless of the auto-lock settings, but I didn't think it was the other day. Strange.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James_78 View Post
    It looks like the charging status isn't something that can be checked by 3rd party apps..
    I've been wanting this too; my Palm had it a decade ago ("stay awake in cradle"). It's great for sidekick-style apps like billing timers. OK, I just did a little poking around...

My iPhone 3G (2.2FW) has a file called /tmp/pstats. I'm not sure if it's put there by the stock OS, or if it's something that some extension is writing. But it seems to get updated every time I switch apps - and/or every time I put the iPhone in the cradle.

pstats is actually a .plist file. If you do this from your Mac:

Code:
    scp iphone:/tmp/pstats pstats.plist;open pstats.plist
    you'll see that there is an "ac" key. And, sure enough, it's "1" when the iPhone is in the cradle, and "0" otherwise.

Code away! I'll buy it...
    Last edited by Jay Levitt; 04-14-2009 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

^ as will if if you can enable bluetooth when cradled too!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Does anyone know if they anyone ever developed anything that would do this? I have my wife's iPod Touch connected in her car with the display outputting all the time, so I have it set not to lock, but then it stays on after she turns the car off too. I'd love to have an app like this. If there isn't anything, I guess I'll just change it to charge all the time, but I was hoping not to have to do it that way.

Thanks,
    Wayne

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Activator + SBSettings will do what you want, install both & look in cydia for Autolock SBSettings install this, then navigate to Settings\Activator\Anywhere or Lockscreen, then look for Power connected option select it & pick your Autolock toggle, do the same for disconnection.

I use this method for toggling Airplane mode when docked at night ;-) my phone interferes with my Freeview aerial.

(you dont need SBSettings installed to use toggles, but cydia will install it as a dependency, I backup the Toggles in "var\mobile\Library\SBSettings\Toggles\" then I uninstall SBSettings & replace the toggles & I have 1 less MS plugin loaded)
    Apple are Control freaks we need to stop them before they take over the world!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rocky5 View Post
    Activator + SBSettings will do what you want, install both & look in cydia for Autolock SBSettings install this, then navigate to Settings\Activator\Anywhere or Lockscreen, then look for Power connected option select it & pick your Autolock toggle, do the same for disconnection.

I use this method for toggling Airplane mode when docked at night ;-) my phone interferes with my Freeview aerial.

(you dont need SBSettings installed to use toggles, but cydia will install it as a dependency, I backup the Toggles in "var\mobile\Library\SBSettings\Toggles\" then I uninstall SBSettings & replace the toggles & I have 1 less MS plugin loaded)
    Activator will even show a notification banner saying the toggle was activated or deactivated upon connection or disconnection. It's perfect.
    Worked like a charm. Thank you, rocky5!