View Poll Results: Have you noticed a difference in iphone performance after installing Winterboard

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have NOT noticed a difference with speed and performance

22 19.13%
  • I HAVE noticed a SMALL amount of speed and performance loss

44 38.26%
  • I HAVE noticed a LARGE amount of speed and performance loss

36 31.30%
  • I continue to lose more and more performance and speed with each additional theme I apply

13 11.30%

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Poll: Winterboards performance

Default Poll: Winterboards performance
    It's been some time now, and I am getting pretty antsy about not being able to customize my phone with themes. I loved the original summerboard and the use of Customize.
    And with the introduction of Winterboard it made personal themes a synch. The only problem is, Winterboard seemed to slow down my 2.1 FW. I dealt with it because I really wanted a springboard wallpaper.
    But with the many improvements of performance and speed to FW 2.2, I was worried about slowing things down again with Winterboard on my fresh install of the new firmware.

Now, I have read that with the new 2.2 firmware came an newly written version of Winterboard, and that performance and speed was not affected as it was with the older Winterboard.

Is this true?

I know, all I need to do is just download it and try it for myself, but I would really like an OVERALL opinion and thoughts on these things:

Was there a noticeable difference in performance when first installed?
    Does performance decrease with the more themes applied?
    Do you have to restart your phone more often to speed things up?

Any and every thoughts would be Much Appreciated.

Thanks for reading,

MrB

P.S. Just to let everyone know, I am not trying to be critical of Saurik's application. There should be no doubt for anyone reading this that this is an amazing app. It is because of developers like Him, who put in countless hours into their own projects, that are gracious enough to let us "little people" enjoy their amazing creations.
    Last edited by mrblader; 01-21-2009 at 04:51 PM.
    8Gig > 1.0 FW (dead spot on screen)
    8Gig > 1.0.2 FW (broken vibrate after a while)
    8Gig > 1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2(Jonny5 Still alive)

It's still a little slower but not as bad as it once was. Just don't install too many widgets and you're good to go. I went without it before and I had to go back. You have much more fun with the phone if you can customize it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

for me the ability to personalize the phone is worth the nominal drop in performance/speed. also, with the introduction of sbsettings and the processes widget, you have the ability to kill applications that seem to stay open after they are used (safari, mail) which helps with memory and speed issues.

i would suggest installing sbsettings first and baseline your performance then install winterboard and apply themes rebenchmarking your memory usage. you'll be able to make a much more informed decision

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ksiphone View Post
    ....I would suggest installing sbsettings first and baseline your performance then install winterboard and apply themes rebenchmarking your memory usage. you'll be able to make a much more informed decision
    That's exactly what I did last weekend!! Used Pwnage, reinstalled everything 'except Winterboard and Backgrounder'. Did a base-line. Phone seemed very responsive. Then installed Winterboard, did notice a noticeable free memory reduction, but VERY LITTLE decrease in responsiveness. This leads me to believe the order of installation also can play a role in performance. JMHO

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Same here.....I think the minimal decrease in speed is much justified

Retired Moderator A Retired Mod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Same here.....I think the minimal decrease in speed is much justified
    ^^^I concur....I haven't noticed much lag.

iPhone? More like MyPhone brianmarocco's Avatar
    Thanks

I also have not noticed much. One thing that I did that might have made a difference, probably not, was that all system sounds that I wanted to change I just directly replaced that stock ones and did not use WB for that.

Thanks

It is just a bit slower, but just dont go overboard with your size of themes and no. of themes.
    Eg. Dont have a active background, etc, youll be fine.

WinterBoard's amazing features definitely make up for the little lag it causes.

It's really not that big of a deal. Resprings might take a little longer, you might loose some seconds of your life here and there, but having your precious little buddy customized the way you like it defintly makes up for that. At least, that's how I see it.

Oh, and if you leave out .html backgrounds and lockscreens with a whole bunch of crap in them, I'd say you could hardly tell the difference in performance.

Also having too many other mobile substrate plugins will slow down your iPhone much more than WinterBoard does. So if you're worried about performance, at the moment, you should first of all make sure, you're being selective about stuff that uses mobile substrate.

But don't misunderstand me. I currently have the following stuff installed that uses mobile substrate and my phone runs without any problems at all (since I removed categories (Sorry BigBoss)):
    -SBSettings, Winiterboard, Dock, Quickgold, Stack, Backgrounder, Five Icon Dock, Reflective Dock, mailtoattachment, iRealSMS & Notifier

Some of those (Quickgold!) are pretty heavy on the system, but after testing, and deleting lots of other stuff, that I had installed, this settup works without any of those lags, I've experienced before (in older FW's and with other apps (Categories, as I mentioned)). No panic attacks, no freezing screens, no extra long reboots, no safe modes. To be honest, the only app that crashes on a regular basis is Cydia.

Also note, that after testing out the memory usage and overall-performance of different combinations of apps and plugins, I restored with a fresh blank (incl. Cydia only) ipsw, using Pwnage Tool, setting the iPhone up as new, and then installed those apps I chose to keep.

I have around 30 (+-3) MB RAM available, with only phone and mail running in the back. Before the restore with a similar settup (few more mobile substrate apps), I had around 20 MB available. I had occasional app crashes and complete freezes (I think SBSettings was involved a bunch of times). After the restore those issues completly disappeared.

Also just fyi, I use a theme that includes: Lockscreen stuff (but no html), Springboard wallpaper and icons (150+), customized statusbar, loading screens, some app themes, UI sounds, keyboard, dialer and some other minor stuff. Actually this is a whole lot of stuff (most themes don't ahve all that), but like I said, I hardly notice any performance loss at all.

Conclusion: Don't worry, go for it! Other stuff that is around causes much more trouble than WinterBoard. Just set your priorities, decide what functions/features are important to you and leave out all the rest.

Good Day

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Enkidu For This Useful Post:

mrblader (01-24-2009)

thank you for your detailed response Enkidu.... very much what I was looking for, I appreciate the time you put into your response!

Cheers,

MrB

No biggie, just trying to share something useful in a spot, where I find lots of useful things all the time.
    Good to hear, you could benifit from it!

Thanks

on a tip i got from another thread, i tried nate true's dock app. i was using quickgold and stacks instead of having pages of icons. i decided that although quickgold is a great app, i never used it to search for text and rarely used it to search for contacts. replacing the two aforementioned apps with dock, i was able to recover around 20+ mb of avail memory and have all my apps avail from within any other app. now, b/c of the newly released "clippy" i can copy text and quickly switch to another program to paste.

if you don't use quickgold to its fullest, i would suggest switching to dock. either way, i would suggest staying away from stacks if you are having memory issues. its a fun app, but not nearly as functional as dock in my opinion.

i also deleted 5 icon dock since i went with the dock app. now, after i reboot the phone, open sbsettings, i have about 60mb of avail memory (almost half of total 128!!) and about 40-45 of avail memory with sbsettings open. for my usage, this setup is much more functional and my phone hasn't crashed on me at all.

in the end though, install what you like keeping in mind you don't have unlimited resources with which to work.

Quote Originally Posted by ksiphone View Post
    on a tip i got from another thread, i tried nate true's dock app. i was using quickgold and stacks instead of having pages of icons. i decided that although quickgold is a great app, i never used it to search for text and rarely used it to search for contacts. replacing the two aforementioned apps with dock, i was able to recover around 20+ mb of avail memory and have all my apps avail from within any other app. now, b/c of the newly released "clippy" i can copy text and quickly switch to another program to paste.

if you don't use quickgold to its fullest, i would suggest switching to dock. either way, i would suggest staying away from stacks if you are having memory issues. its a fun app, but not nearly as functional as dock in my opinion.

i also deleted 5 icon dock since i went with the dock app. now, after i reboot the phone, open sbsettings, i have about 60mb of avail memory (almost half of total 128!!) and about 40-45 of avail memory with sbsettings open. for my usage, this setup is much more functional and my phone hasn't crashed on me at all.

in the end though, install what you like keeping in mind you don't have unlimited resources with which to work.
    Absolutely agreed. Choosing between functionality and style is something you'll have to do so many times. Going for stability is a third option, and basically means less functionality and style. You just have to find a balance between the three, that matches your priorities.

Of course there is stuff, that offers you more than one of the above listed.
    Dock is perfect example for that. Works almost perfect (limitation of "Recent Apps" to only show those apps you launched from springboard), looks nice and yet is not a big threat to your system memory,

How do you do this? Can you list the directories and how to do this? I've been trying to figure this out forever.

I was talking about manually putting sounds on your phone without winterboard
    Last edited by illuminatty; 02-12-2009 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me JAG2621's Avatar
    Thanks

How many threads are already on this topic?
    If anything was usefull a thanks would be great!

there are many threads, BUT NO POLLS ON THIS TOPIC JAG..........

If you have nothing resourceful to say... no one wants to hear it.

OH, and THANKS for bringing this thread back up to the top!

Again, thank you "everyone else" who contributed to this poll

18. The Following User Says Thank You to mrblader For This Useful Post:

illuminatty (02-12-2009)

I just wish there was an alternative to Winterboard, by a dev who actually has time to maintain and update it. Mad props to Saurik, but Winterboard has clearly been totally abandoned for nearly a year now.

When he bought and eliminated Rock, he said in a thread reply to someone asking about Winterboard problems, something like "What? multipage wallpaper is broken with 4.0? I'll have to look into that". That was 2 months ago... now 4.1 is out, and even MORE stuff in Winterboard is broken! There is SO much broken with Winterboard now, there's no way he'll ever get caught up!

How about it Dev's?? anyone up for creating "Fallboard"???
    Last edited by TheOnlyest; 10-15-2010 at 02:32 PM.
    Praise the Devs! To each and every one of you who spend your time writing code and making apps for little or no profit... Its YOU that makes the iPhone great, NOT Apple!! From me to you, a million thanks!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,224 Times in 870 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheOnlyest View Post
    I just wish there was an alternative to Winterboard, by a dev who actually has time to maintain and update it. Mad props to Saurik, but Winterboard has clearly been totally abandoned for nearly a year now.

When he bought and eliminated Rock, he said in a thread reply to someone asking about Winterboard problems, something like "What? multipage wallpaper is broken with 4.0? I'll have to look into that". That was 2 months ago... now 4.1 is out, and even MORE stuff in Winterboard is broken! There is SO much broken with Winterboard now, there's no way he'll ever get caught up!

How about it Dev's?? anyone up for creating "Fallboard"???
    Lol!!!! what we really need is somebody that bring back to life "CUSTOMIZE" From the graveyard ones again! that will give us complete control on how to theme our phones and open a lot more detail choices...