+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: DANGER: Don't use your iPhone warranty if you have iBlacklist

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Ok, so I purchased/donated for iBlacklist on 12/26 because it seemed like a decent program and I wanted to support the developer of it, even if I couldn't use all
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default DANGER: Don't use your iPhone warranty if you have iBlacklist
    Ok, so I purchased/donated for iBlacklist on 12/26 because it seemed like a decent program and I wanted to support the developer of it, even if I couldn't use all the features of this particular application.

Note the past tense.

It took 2 days to get the activation code, and then 2 days ago I had to replace my iPhone. A pretty traumatic experience when you have a Jailbroken iPhone, because it is always best to set it up as new. So I eMailed the 5 companies that I have purchased software (Jailbroken software) from so that I could get new auth codes for the new iPhone serial number.

Within 12-24 hours I received codes from 4 of the 5 companies.

Today, 1/7/09, after 48 hours, I received the following unsigned reply from the sales department at iBlacklist:

For new iphone you need buy a new key, the key is registered to phone serial number (hardware)
    If is the same iphone (hardware) the serial number is the same and the activation key works but you you have a new iphone the old key will dont work becouse is a diferent serial (hardware) and you need buy a new key

thanks
    So basically, they are saying that 9 days later I need to spend another $12 with them to continue to use a license I have already paid for. It seems every other company has figured this one out, and responds to this very quickly.

I've owned an iPhone in both incarnations since August 2007. I have had about 7 replacements in that amount of time for various reasons, including a 3G upgrade. If I had purchased this software, they are insinuating that I should have spent $84 so far to use their $12 piece of software.

I have filed my PayPal dispute already.

I just wanted to share this story so that everyone knows that buying this software is Caveat Emptor.

PLEASE NOTE: I have since received a new license code at no charge from the iblacklist.com.br team. I thank them for their response and hope that they reconsider their regular business model so that others do not have the same issue. Apologies for not posting this earlier, but my laptop also had to be repaired and I have not been able to access the forums due to that.
    Last edited by PorthosPirate; 01-08-2009 at 11:25 PM. Reason: New Information relevant

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PorthosPirate For This Useful Post:

ltjbigshot (01-07-2009)

Thanks

This is why you don't buy Apps that are not on the Appstore.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ltjbigshot's Avatar
    Thanks

There are defiantly some apps not in the appstore that are worth buying.... I love the sms apps that you cant get! Its defiantly good to know this. I was about to get this app and my iphone is acting up on me and i might be about to send it in! Thanks!
    Sent from my iPad

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    This is a ridiculous comment. There's no indication that the OP was ripped off. I'm guessing (although I don't know) that the terms of the license provide that it's for one device only. I do know that there's been at least one other thread on this. http://www.modmyi.com/forums/native-...pointment.html

I think it's poor business practice for the developer not to allow transfers to a different device, but that's up to him. As the OP said, 4/5 other apps did allow transfers.

OP -- Assuming that the terms of the license provide for no transfer, this sucks, and you did the right thing by posting here. Unfortunately, there's no a whole lot you can do. I don't mean to sound holier than thou -- I never read the terms of a license and as far as I know I've also paid for iPhone software with the same limitation.

Hopefully, the iBlacklist folks will see the negative publicity regarding this type of issue and change their practice.

Thanks

Well I paid the twice by choice since I got such great service. Honestly I asked spekro to modify something for me he worked with me and got it done. He said there was no need to donate again. I did just for all his hard work. This is 100% the best program out for the iphone. Stop being a little ***** and pay the $12

and from the header of this thread, you are suggesting people don't use the iphone warentee to save $12 on reinstalling a program? Edit.. be nice
    Last edited by Broomhead; 01-07-2009 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Insulted Other Member

Thanks

Exactly how is that a ridiculous statement? As we see in this case, and others, you are at the whim of these fly by night developers, with no legal means of recourse when they pull stunts like this. The OP is lucky he's had no problems with the others, but that could have turned out different.

When buying from legitimate developers/companies through the Appstore, customers are provided with a receipt, warranty and terms of service, which if not met provides them with a means to dispute either directly or through Apple to come to a resolution.

To the OP: Were you provided License Terms when purchasing this software? Were you made aware beforehand that this software operated only on one serial number? I'm guessing not.

If this wasn't a rip-off, I don't know what is.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Thanks

Exactly how is that a ridiculous statement? As we see in this case, and others, you are at the whim of these fly by night developers, with no legal means of recourse when they pull stunts like this.
    Developers of software for jailborken iPhones are no more "fly by night" than developers of lots of other software. Generally, you have to abide by the terms of the license. Your statement (which I called ridiculous) suggests that the OP's problem was created by the fact that he bought an app not from the Appstore. This simply isn't true. The OP's problem resulted from the terms of a software license and (most likely) his failure to read those terms before he purchased the license (a sin most of us are guilty of). Have you read the software license for every program you've ever downloaded?

There's a very good reason for developers to limit software to a specific device -- it allows for simple authentication by serial number without the risk that the original licensee and the purchaser of said licensee's original phone both end up with a license for the price of a single license. Sure there are ways to avoid this, but the developer may not want to deal with the hassle. As I have said, I do not think that this is a good business model.
    Last edited by Spamdumpster; 01-07-2009 at 03:44 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I beleive intelliscreen is the same way. they are up front with there policy though.

Thanks

N.B.: I have edited the original post to reflect that I have since received a replacement license code.

Actually that was not my point at all. You will notice that I DO have recourse. I paid through PayPal and have a right to file a dispute through them. I even responded to the sales address and informed them that I was making such a challenge, as well as posting to forums. The Apple App Store is NOT the end-all be-all of salesmanship. I would have you note that the only way to reach apple regarding the App Store, or iTunes Store, is via eMail and they will respond when they feel like it. To challenge a purchase with them I would have to go through my credit card company, just as I would have to with PayPal in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by imbuggin View Post
    Well I paid the twice by choice since I got such great service. Honestly I asked spekro to modify something for me he worked with me and got it done. He said there was no need to donate again. I did just for all his hard work. This is 100% the best program out for the iphone. Stop being a little ***** and pay the $12....and from the header of this thread, you are suggesting people don't use the iphone warentee to save $12 on reinstalling a program? Edit.. be nice
    I have attempted to be civil through my whole description. I am not try to say that Spektro is evil, merely that I don't believe his business practice to be in the best interest of his continued business. It is my opinion, and I am entitled to it, just as you are to yours. I will say that I use one feature of iBlacklist, and it is not even one I have to pay for. It is complete privacy for incoming (unfiltered) SMS. I paid for the software because I believe that Spektro provides some good software, especially notifier, which I cannot live without.

I won't even respond to the personal attack, other than to say that.

Quote Originally Posted by Spamdumpster View Post
    . The OP's problem resulted from the terms of a software license and (most likely) his failure to read those terms before he purchased the license (a sin most of us are guilty of). Have you read the software license for every program you've ever downloaded
    Actually, I can say that I did read it. There is no "license agreement" that I could find on the site. The only agreement seems to be on the purchase page (which I did read carefully). It says that "The Activation Key will always be the same for your device, even after a restore or update, so please take care of it." It states nothing about the license to use the software not being transferrable to a replacement device.

Quote Originally Posted by bruinsrme View Post
    I beleive intelliscreen is the same way. they are up front with there policy though.
    Actually no, that is incorrect. I no longer use intelliscreen because of the problems it created on my phone, but I did use it before. The 4 times I had swap phones (including once an upgrade to my 3G) it transferred each time. The first 2 were done by eMail, following that I found that they had actually added a page on their website that will transfer a license immediately.

Thanks

SwirlyMMS is the same way. If you replace your iPhone you have to purchase a new license... which makes sense because you can easily lie and say you purchased a new phone just to milk another activation code out of them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reznor9 View Post
    SwirlyMMS is the same way. If you replace your iPhone you have to purchase a new license... which makes sense because you can easily lie and say you purchased a new phone just to milk another activation code out of them.
    Not if the app "phones home". If properly executed then the app on the old phone would be able to be deactivated being replaced with the activation on the new phone. I'd call that lack of foresight. Even scum-of-the-earth microsoft allows you to call them if you've reinstalled your 2-cpu license OS on your same pc with hardware changes and they'll give you a new activation code over the phone. And their license doesn't deactivate.

Green Apple
    Thanks

it's just another example of planned obsolescence.

They link the activation code to your serial number knowing full well that eventually you will get a new iPhone, either because yours breaks or a new one comes out.

This is just one example of nefarious business practices that goes on under everyone's nose and even if people do know about it they don't raise ethical questions because they've been trained that "it's just the way things are."

I wouldn't really use the Appstore as a solution though, because I'd say fewer than 1% of the apps on the app store have a free version that lets you try them out. Thus once you spend the money, the money is spent. If the app sucks, you're stuck.

What I've found in iBlacklist vs. MCleaner, at least iBlacklist will work forever with 2 entries, and the reply-sms features turned off. MCleaner only works for 15 days.

Just a note that to me the reply-sms feature seems like a carpe blanche for people to DoS you with texts knownig your phone will auto-reply. Not that you'll actually get a denial of service, but it's the same idea. Knowing a certain action will have a reaction and exploiting that reaction.

All in all from what I hear, iBlacklist is the best of all the filtering apps. The only thing I could ask for is keyword support, and the ability to use regex in the different criteria (phone #, keyword).

i use it to block ppl who send me chain texts. it's like.. oh well, if you send me chain texts.. you're blocked.. sorry, but i hate them. I'm not losing sleep over not being able to use keywords
    <madrussian> in russia, you dont remove installer.app, it removes you!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bruinsrme View Post
    Intelliscreen not only allows you to transfer your license but they have a webpage dedicated to doing so.

https://secure.intelliborn.com/trans...elliScreen.php

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    If Apple would pull thier heads out of thier buttholes and stop trying to control what people can put on the devices they purchase we wouldn't have to deal with purchasing apps from other sources. It's this same reason Apple lost the market share in the 80's while they said NO you can't put that on a Apple, IBM said YES anyone can code programs.

I don't even understand why iblacklist was rejected by apple to begin with it's an excellent app all the way around.