+ Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to Overclock the iPhone/iPod Touch?

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Originally Posted by xseanxbutlerx Hey, overclocking the iPhone 3G is very possible, for some of you who don't believe it, and it's pretty harmless as long as you leave the
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Method tested
    Quote Originally Posted by xseanxbutlerx View Post
    Hey, overclocking the iPhone 3G is very possible, for some of you who don't believe it, and it's pretty harmless as long as you leave the processor in the 530's range. Anything above that you will start to notice a slight battery decrease and maybe a little extra heating (the heating doesn't come in until about the 600's though). I keep mine at 533MHZ and everything works great. If your running a lot of Mobile substrate plugins and have some heavy themeing going on then you'll only notice a slight difference. However, put your trusty idevice in Safe Mode via SBsettings or use SwapMode, that's where the money is

Anyways, here's how to do this:
    (Might wanna check with someone else who knows how to do this as I overclocked my iPhone sometime ago, so it's been awhile since i have done this. But i'm pretty sure this is right!)

Navigate to: System/Library/SystemConfiguration/PowerManagement.bundle on your iphone and drag the com.apple.systempowerprofiledefaults.plist onto your computer using iFunBox or SSH or any method of your choice.

Make a copy just in case

Now using a text editor open the .plist file, and down towards the bottom you will see the numbers 412 or 457 depending on your firmware. change the number to 533 or any number you like up to about 620 (personally i wouldn't go that far, 533 is plenty of power!)

Save, then put the file back into: System/Library/SystemConfiguration/PowerManagement.bundle

Now Reboot (Turn off, turn back on) and there you go! hope this helps
    I have been fooling around with this method for a while now and I came to one conclution so far... I tried the maximum of 620 and it caused so many problems that I had to do recovery mode in the end.

I am currently in the middle of testing the 500-550 ranges.

BTW, thanks a lot for this method!

iPhone? More like MyPhone one_crazy_dude's Avatar
    Thanks

how do you know this works? is there a way to see what speed the iphone's cpu is running after?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I wrote a small plugin for mobile substrate that displays my clock speed in the top-bar instead of the clock.

But unfortunately, when you set the number to anything but the system default it totally breaks the systems stability...

I really doubt it works.

iPhone? More like MyPhone one_crazy_dude's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok I tried this and used isystem info from iTunes and it still says 412 MHz. Maybe I am doing something wrong. I fallow all instructions. Maybe it's the text editor. What do you all use?iam on windows and just used notepad to change and save than but back in phone with ifunbox.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Hey- due to the fact this thread has gone to hell. I'm curious on wether any mods can chime in. I see a lot of noobs- with crazy stuff-

does this stuf work?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Does this work?
    It seems that modifying the mentioned file is good for other things as well:

iPhone loosing signal

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Moderator??

mac
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default How about this?
    Has anyone tested this method?

HowTo Overclock iPhone 2G, 3G, 3GS CPU

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Overclock, how to
    Steps to Overclock or increase CPU Speed of iPhone and iPod Touch
    Step 1. Navigate to System/Library/System/System Configuration/PowerManagement.bundle/

Step 2. You will see a file named “com.apple.SystemPowerProfileDefault.plist”

Step 3. Instead of editing, you are just rename it to “SystemPowerProfileDefaultbak.plist” so the device does not recognize it.

Step 4. Do a reboot and you overclock your iPhone.

Increasing the clock speed would degrade the CPU’s lifespan and is therefore not recommended. Do at your own risk. We will not be held responsible for bricking your iPhone or iPod Touch.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Smile Hheyyy i found it
    well i found it just google it again...
    i believe its too unsafe...
    but i still do it bc idk...

Thanks

Ive seen it in many places..
    it says reboot and you're overclocked..
    to what, how much does it overclock? to the max??

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mladen2008 View Post
    Step 1. Navigate to System/Library/System/System Configuration/PowerManagement.bundle/

Step 3. Instead of editing, you are just rename it to “SystemPowerProfileDefaultbak.plist” so the device does not recognize it.

Increasing the clock speed would degrade the CPU’s lifespan and is therefore not recommended. Do at your own risk. We will not be held responsible for bricking your iPhone or iPod Touch.
    If you rename the file to what it's supposed to be does it put the clock speed back to where it should be or do you have to restore the phone? Also is there anyway to see what the clock speed is or do you just have to test it to see if it's faster?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

"sysctl hw.cpufrequency" from the terminal to see clock speed. *
    after changing the file name previously mentioned it will reset to the default clock speed of the chip. (600mhz ish for 09-10 models)
    emulators are actually playable now.
    side note : battery does drain faster which is expected but also seems to drop while sleeping / in standby.

* MobileTerminal ,Cydia

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I tried to edit the .plist so that it doesn't overclock to 600 but abit less but I can't seem to find anywhere on the .plist the number 412. Is that possible?

iPhone? More like MyPhone RobberBoy's Avatar
    Thanks

does it work by renaming the file name? it doesnt seems to work on mine..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default How to Overclock the iPhone/iPod Touch?
    concept can be applied to your jailbroken iPod touch or iPhone.

cell phone

Thanks

Default Overclocking the iphone

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mladen2008 View Post

Changing the name of the file doesnt change the processing speed whatsoever. Its a placebo effect. It drains battery life because your making the file that controls the ability to conserve battery life, unrecognizable. It doesnt change anything. Try it out with mobile terminal, it doesnt change clock speed. This "method" is posted all over the internet and its a step in the wrong direction. Clock speed is not in the Systempowerprofiledefault file. Its in the kernal.

This quoted method is a freakin joke

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The iPhone 2g does a lot faster with that method mladen2008 posted. I'm wondering if you edit this "<key>Reduce Processor Speed</key>", would you be able to keep the clocks up and still have power saving functions. The power doesn't seem to be that big of a drain on my phone. It seeems about normal to me. My iPhone usually can only last 1 day of use before dying.