+ Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to Overclock the iPhone/iPod Touch?

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Originally Posted by RadicalxEdward what no link? sorry i should've edited my post. the thing i did didn't work. there's an app on cydia called sysinfo or something and it
    oo3
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalxEdward View Post
    what no link?
    sorry i should've edited my post. the thing i did didn't work. there's an app on cydia called sysinfo or something and it shows your clock speed. after the hack, it didn't do anything. it was all in my head.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to oo3 For This Useful Post:

slidingmike (09-22-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

How aboit we all work together to make an overclocking team or something. build custom ipsw files

I am guessing that nobody is with me. alright then. i guess ill just wait for the iphone 4g or something =/
    Last edited by iDCP; 09-26-2009 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Tutorial Available Here
    Here you go guys. Enjoy the tutorial. It works without any issues of heat or frying the processor. Its still at your own risk but you get the benefits of better response and performance overal with a slight decrease in batterly life. But those seeking to overclock already know this downside and just want to do it anyway.

Hope you guys like it and please rate or comment at the website
    Joel Rios: Gadgets - Games - Fun - Tech - iPhone

Thanks

Hmm this guy looks legit. Might try it to see what it does and maybe underclock and see how long i can get the battery to last. I'll respond with what happens and if it works

Eh his instructions arent working for me. The value you have to change, i cant find it. Stuck for now. Way on him to respond to my email.
    Last edited by Ichwohneinloche; 12-01-2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone rugbrn's Avatar
    Thanks

I'll be trying this out on my old first gen iPhone tonight I'll post my findings...

iPhone? More like MyPhone one_crazy_dude's Avatar
    Thanks

This sounds like I will be waiting to see if this works

EDIT

went to see the file and the file i see has no numBers at all it has something about your computer going into sleep mod but no speed control.

I ALSO DIDNOT USE BLACK RA1N NOR SSH BUT COSTUME FIRMWARE/IPHONEBROWSER. i dont thinK that should make a diffrence do you?
    Last edited by one_crazy_dude; 12-01-2009 at 04:05 PM.

oo3
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joelrios View Post
    Here you go guys. Enjoy the tutorial. It works without any issues of heat or frying the processor. Its still at your own risk but you get the benefits of better response and performance overal with a slight decrease in batterly life. But those seeking to overclock already know this downside and just want to do it anyway.

Hope you guys like it and please rate or comment at the website
    Joel Rios: Gadgets - Games - Fun - Tech - iPhone
    That's the tutorial i used to try to overclock it...it doesn't work...unless the sysinfo is wrong and it doesn't update cpu speed.
    Last edited by oo3; 12-01-2009 at 05:18 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone one_crazy_dude's Avatar
    Thanks

It dosent seem to work for me either. I have read of others getting this to work but with no proof,no picture. I looked in sysinfo app and it hasent changed at all. Any one have any proof that hasent been photoshoped in any way?
    Cause I can't find any on google

iPhone? More like MyPhone rugbrn's Avatar
    Thanks

I can confirm no change at all as well with my iPhone 2g

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sysinfo could be misrepresenting the clock information.

From what I see, though, I would have a hard time believing that a plist file can modify the clockrate. I'd have an easier time believing that you'd need to pencil mod your processor.

On the other hand, for those of you that did modify the file and think it's faster, could you possibly perform some benchmarks to verify the change? For instance if you could run Super Pi or create a quick program like that, it'd be nice to compare the difference (pre/post) alleged overclock.

Ty,
    vol7ron

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Damn... we all know the idont is over rated. apple should get that stick out of their rear and try to be open source like.... dare i say it.... droid.. its sad how the iphone has been out for 3+ years and they haven't been able to overclock it. sure they have like 1093847583923845097 apps but give the android market 1-2 years and it will be as good, if not better. im not a fanboy, i am a previous iphone user. 1st gen 2g 3g 3gs u name it. im just being real and expressing my opinion. some people might get mad, but i dont care.... its the truth...

(taken from alldroid.org)
    800Mhz
    6.76 Mflops/s linpack.
    3395 on BenchmarkPi

900MHz
    7.646 Mflops/s on linpack
    3054 on BenchmarkPi

990MHz
    8.367 Mflops/s on linpack
    2695 on BenchmarkPi

1GHz
    8.498 Mflops/s on linpack
    2661 on BenchmarkPi

1.1GHz
    9.254 Mflops/s on linpack
    2435 BenchmarkPi

1.3GHz
    10.848 Mflops/s in linpack
    2078 in BenchmarkPi

Here are 3 intirim releases I used when compiling the info in this post, where the 600MHz slot was replaced with 800MHz, 900MHz, and 1GHz respectivly.
    800MHz seems rock solid, as did 900MHz, 1GHz was only tested for 5 minutes.

1.1 seems a touch unstable so it's going to be left for when cpufreq and etc get more slots added.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

iPhone? More like MyPhone jbone1337's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphoneblowz View Post
    Damn... we all know the idont is over rated. apple should get that stick out of their rear and try to be open source like.... dare i say it.... droid.. its sad how the iphone has been out for 3+ years and they haven't been able to overclock it. sure they have like 1093847583923845097 apps but give the android market 1-2 years and it will be as good, if not better. im not a fanboy, i am a previous iphone user. 1st gen 2g 3g 3gs u name it. im just being real and expressing my opinion. some people might get mad, but i dont care.... its the truth...

Here are 3 intirim releases I used when compiling the info in this post, where the 600MHz slot was replaced with 800MHz, 900MHz, and 1GHz respectivly.
    800MHz seems rock solid, as did 900MHz, 1GHz was only tested for 5 minutes.

1.1 seems a touch unstable so it's going to be left for when cpufreq and etc get more slots added.
    Quote Originally Posted by Androidisbetter View Post
    wow lol....

Ok anyone who is worried about overclocking their phone is a freaking waterhead...

here ill break it down,
    -Iphone 3g[s]: Samsung S5PC100 ARM Cortex-A8 833 MHz underclocked to 600 MHz
    -droid: Arm Cortex-A8 600 MHz underclocked to 550 MHz

So that means the iphone casing was probably made for a max of 833MHz as the droid was 600MHz. This was due to the ability of effectively cooling the device. Going higher then that without effective cooling will damage the device.

why overclocking is bad for phones and other portable devices:
    -Increasing the clock speed increases the heat linearly, and increasing voltage increases heat exponentially. So you need adequate cooling.(phones dont have). Not to mention If the heat of the cpu goes up, the heat of the inside of the device goes up, and can damage other components in it.
    *So if you OC cpu and play a game which then both cpu and gpu are producing massive heat, it will probably substantially shorten the life of your device.
    -increasing the clock speed also increases power consumption.(phones have very limited).
    -Phones dont have a BIOS or a CMOS(or atleast one you can access).
    -This means you have to use software to do your overclocking, which itself is very bad.
    *Dont know exactly what the software does to overclock, as in increasing the FSB, multiplier, voltages. And even if you increase cpu clock speed, there is no way to overclock or adjust voltages/timing of the memory which will hinder the OC.
    *No way to tell what the actual clock speed is at(again you need software, which software tends to be highly inaccurate). So that screen says you have clocked it at 1GHz, it is actually probably like 580MHz lol
    *Cant effectively tell the temperature of the cpu/inside. which could be very risky.
    *There are no stress test programs on the phones, so if you actually did overclock, there is no way to tell stability. because you wont be able to have the processor run @ 100% for 12-24hrs for testing.

Anyone who even knows anything about overclocking knows this...

So all of this, for what?.... A possible few seconds off load times lol?
    Seriously gtfo you noob, and stop creating multiple accounts to come on here and bash apple with your ignorance..
    OpenFient/Any other gametype: JBone1337

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Are u ***** kidding me!
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowhacker27 View Post
    The G1 is less than a year old and I already overclocked it from 300 something to 528mhz..not noticeable battery changes whatsoever. I think if we seriously had a team that could focus on making the iPhone OS less resources-consuming, something like a tweaked version of the OS, we could get a better and a faster phone. guaranteed.
    It is now overclocked to 780mhz and the mytouch 3g is too. my mytouch 3g has never died on me before, including 780mhz all day. tmobile underclocks it to 324mhz while it can go to 780 now. You've just been PWNED! **** APPLE AND IPHONE!!!

ps and yes ive had a iphone b4 iphone 3g which is slow as ****. plus it has flash and i can download stuff off the internet and have wallpapers and several homescreens. TAKE THAT APPLE!

Quote Originally Posted by jbone1337 View Post
    wow lol....

Ok anyone who is worried about overclocking their phone is a freaking waterhead...

here ill break it down,
    -Iphone 3g[s]: Samsung S5PC100 ARM Cortex-A8 833 MHz underclocked to 600 MHz
    -droid: Arm Cortex-A8 600 MHz underclocked to 550 MHz

So that means the iphone casing was probably made for a max of 833MHz as the droid was 600MHz. This was due to the ability of effectively cooling the device. Going higher then that without effective cooling will damage the device.

why overclocking is bad for phones and other portable devices:
    -Increasing the clock speed increases the heat linearly, and increasing voltage increases heat exponentially. So you need adequate cooling.(phones dont have). Not to mention If the heat of the cpu goes up, the heat of the inside of the device goes up, and can damage other components in it.
    *So if you OC cpu and play a game which then both cpu and gpu are producing massive heat, it will probably substantially shorten the life of your device.
    -increasing the clock speed also increases power consumption.(phones have very limited).
    -Phones dont have a BIOS or a CMOS(or atleast one you can access).
    -This means you have to use software to do your overclocking, which itself is very bad.
    *Dont know exactly what the software does to overclock, as in increasing the FSB, multiplier, voltages. And even if you increase cpu clock speed, there is no way to overclock or adjust voltages/timing of the memory which will hinder the OC.
    *No way to tell what the actual clock speed is at(again you need software, which software tends to be highly inaccurate). So that screen says you have clocked it at 1GHz, it is actually probably like 580MHz lol
    *Cant effectively tell the temperature of the cpu/inside. which could be very risky.
    *There are no stress test programs on the phones, so if you actually did overclock, there is no way to tell stability. because you wont be able to have the processor run @ 100% for 12-24hrs for testing.

Anyone who even knows anything about overclocking knows this...

So all of this, for what?.... A possible few seconds off load times lol?
    Seriously gtfo you noob, and stop creating multiple accounts to come on here and bash apple with your ignorance..
    if u think apple is fast wait for the HTC scorpion 1.5GHZ and yes it's underclocked cuz htc wouldn't allow it to be as slow as the iphone. plus, it actually needs it cuz it can actually MULTITASK lol iphone does blow if u dont believe check out this link: HTC Scorpion To Sting Market With 1.5GHz Processor and WiMax? | Android Phone Fans yes it is a rumor but each rumor has come true so far with android phones and they have a apps on the app market which let u install free music go i music go
    Last edited by tarkinater; 02-12-2010 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tarkinater View Post
    if u think apple is fast wait for the HTC scorpion 1.5GHZ and yes it's underclocked cuz htc wouldn't allow it to be as slow as the iphone. plus, it actually needs it cuz it can actually MULTITASK lol iphone does blow if u dont believe check out this link: HTC Scorpion To Sting Market With 1.5GHz Processor and WiMax? | Android Phone Fans yes it is a rumor but each rumor has come true so far with android phones and they have a apps on the app market which let u install free music go i music go
    how does this have anything to do with what i posted? O.o
    and i dont have an iphone. I have an ipod touch. Which apple is the only good music player on the market. Zune sucks.

and downloading free music is against the law lol. I dont see an app giving you resources to download free music staying too long.

Green Apple
    Thanks

the iPhone is the best phone avalible.
    droid is huge and ugly
    everything on t-Mobile kindaa sucks (including their network)
    and this is an iPhone Forum so stop saying apple sucks cause they dont

and overclocking while dangerous is not impossible

READ :
    MacThemes Forum / [Tweak] iPhone SpeedBoost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NiCKmatteis View Post
    the iPhone is the best phone avalible.
    droid is huge and ugly
    everything on t-Mobile kindaa sucks (including their network)
    and this is an iPhone Forum so stop saying apple sucks cause they dont

and overclocking while dangerous is not impossible

READ :
    MacThemes Forum / [Tweak] iPhone SpeedBoost
    i never said it was impossible. I just said overclocking would be really stupid.

and your link is for Virtual memory. Which is no where near the same thing. VM is a cache that is placed on the HardDrive or FlashDrive of a system that dedicates a set amount of space to act as a slower ram. Which would increase the ability to multitask and have more thing running in the background without crashing.

VM is much much slower then normal memory, it wouldn't really boost the speed of anything. The person who posted that really doesn't know much about computers. All it would do is give you more memory so instead of crashing, it will just lag.

But the FlashDrive was not for such harsh read/writes. It will wear it down much faster then normally using it. And i dont believe there is a way to replace it(or atleast a way that's somewhat easy). So doing this would probably be the best thing unless you dont have enough memory to run what you need to.
    Last edited by jbone1337; 02-12-2010 at 09:09 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Wow seriously, you people gotta read the OP. We don't want to hear all the "oh OC'ing is very bad and stupid and will give you AIDS" BS. We're all aware of that, we do not give a damn of what your opinion is on overclocking. If only the apple community was more like the windows community, some of the responses in this thread are making me facepalm.
    I'm willing to overclock my iPhone 3G because it is a slow piece of crap, I don't care if it blows up or burns my leg when it's in my pocket. I'm right about to upgrade to a nexus one anyways, since apple products have only been disappointing me lately. So, to all your crazy hackers out there, start overclocking!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Any updates on this? I did some heavy searches hoping to boost my iPhone 3G to 533 Mhz but nothing worked so far. Did anyone manage to get there? If so ... how?

PS: People that want to overclock (un-underclock) their IPhone are well aware of consequences (heat, battery consumption, etc) so please stop bringing those as a reason not to ... don't waste thread responses with those.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey, overclocking the iPhone 3G is very possible, for some of you who don't believe it, and it's pretty harmless as long as you leave the processor in the 530's range. Anything above that you will start to notice a slight battery decrease and maybe a little extra heating (the heating doesn't come in until about the 600's though). I keep mine at 533MHZ and everything works great. If your running a lot of Mobile substrate plugins and have some heavy themeing going on then you'll only notice a slight difference. However, put your trusty idevice in Safe Mode via SBsettings or use SwapMode, that's where the money is

Anyways, here's how to do this:
    (Might wanna check with someone else who knows how to do this as I overclocked my iPhone sometime ago, so it's been awhile since i have done this. But i'm pretty sure this is right!)

Navigate to: System/Library/SystemConfiguration/PowerManagement.bundle on your iphone and drag the com.apple.systempowerprofiledefaults.plist onto your computer using iFunBox or SSH or any method of your choice.

Make a copy just in case

Now using a text editor open the .plist file, and down towards the bottom you will see the numbers 412 or 457 depending on your firmware. change the number to 533 or any number you like up to about 620 (personally i wouldn't go that far, 533 is plenty of power!)

Save, then put the file back into: System/Library/SystemConfiguration/PowerManagement.bundle

Now Reboot (Turn off, turn back on) and there you go! hope this helps