+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Does uninstalling apps from the installer clear everything the app leaves behind?

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Or is there a mess of useless stuff in my iPhone because I installed a bunch of programs and uninstalled them because I didn't need/like them? Thanks.
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Does uninstalling apps from the installer clear everything the app leaves behind?
    Or is there a mess of useless stuff in my iPhone because I installed a bunch of programs and uninstalled them because I didn't need/like them? Thanks.

Thanks

It does leave crap behind, just like a normal computer. There was talk of developing a while back a program cleaning the cached stuff left behind by uninstalled programs..but not sure what happened to that concept unfortunately.
    iPhone FW 2.2.1, Jailbroken and Unlocked!

Green Apple
    Thanks

So is there any other way to uninstall them other than through installer? Are the files the apps leave behind big?

Thanks

They are not big, but they tend to accumulate. Technically you could SSH into your phone and delete them manually, but that would imply that you'd know what you're suposed to delete and there lies the problem. I'd do it myself, but I don't want to screw up and delete something vital by error.
    iPhone FW 2.2.1, Jailbroken and Unlocked!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

In general, most packagers will remove all of the app's/package's files EXCEPT for preferences files created by the app/package itself.

Use WinSCP:

Go to /private/var/mobile/Library/Installer

LocalPackages.plist = Contains the list of apps/packages installed
    RemotePackages.plist = Contains the list of apps/packages not installed

Right-click on file and click Edit. It'll open the file in a plain-text editor. You'll see a bunch XML. Each app/package has these XML nodes:

<+key>install</key>
    <+key>uninstall</key>

*remove the + sign in the key nodes above since MMi won't allow HTML codes.

After looking at some, you'll get an idea what happens when Installer installs/uninstalls an app/package.

As I mentioned at the top, the packager probably will not remove preference files created by the app itself located in /private/var/mobile/Library/ so you'll have to manually search and remove these.