Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: NES no longer working after updating in cydia

Default NES no longer working after updating in cydia
    Hi, i just recently updated my NES when the little red 1 came over cydia yesterday. Now when i launch it and select a rom, it just shuts out and takes me back to the home screen. I tried reinstalling, deleting and reinstalling, restarting etc etc. Any1 have any ideas?

and also, if i upgrade to 2.2 but back up all my cydia apps first using aptbackup (forget the actual name) will my saved games/roms be lost?

Id rather not have to do it manually because it currently is a pain in the *** for me to get roms on and off my phone. Im at a university and the residence side's wireless wont allow me to SSH but the academic's wireless will (and my own wireless router wont work anymore, and neither will any1 else's in the building its strange). So i cant easily manually store them on my computer which would be nice. I will do that if i have to though. Will backing up using that cydia app back up the roms/saved games though?

thx in advanced.
    Last edited by doubledave22; 11-23-2008 at 11:46 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Colorado Steve's Avatar
    Thanks

I have the same problem with the new NES update. I still have the old one on my Touch. I think that i'm going to try and install ithe old one and see if that works. Genesis works fine though.

iPhone? More like MyPhone punklove's Avatar
    Thanks

okay... i had the same problem-- the problem is the NES update is for firmware 2.2, so we all should not have updated... it would have been nice to have had some warning of this- so say bye to your saved games,
    go to NES.app: The Nintendo Emulator for iPhone
    download the "Latest binary release [ 8/20/2008 ] for iPhoneOS v2.0 and v2.1" near the bottom of the page, and SSH into your applications folder and replace the NES.app folder, with the NES application you find in the "payload" folder after you unzip the download.

its easy- and i dont know if your saved games will be lost or not. mine were cause i deleted nes.app and tried to reinstall it through cydia, and tried reinstalling all the games via ssh yesterday- and today i just figured out that it was the wrong version-
    happiness is a warm iphone~~~~

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to punklove For This Useful Post:

bmx1 (11-26-2008), doubledave22 (11-23-2008)

thx so much! Im gonna try that tonight when i go to the other side of campus. Im gonna back everything up too (by taking the saved files and putting em on my comp somewhere just in case). Worse case i upgrade to 2.2 and reload them on after. Thanks tho i appreciate it. Im about to beat legend of zelda and i accidentally updated bleh lol

i've posted in a couple of the other nes problem threads...i think the nes emulator guys just jumped the gun on issuing the new emulator prior to the 2.2 fw update to make sure it still works...i got the update prior to 2.2, but once i did the update and jailbreak, i reinstalled the emulator and everything works fine...it still finds everything just like before

Many people are having this problem. Is it because the 2.3.2 update of NES.app will only work on 2.2 firmware? Anyone else got the new NES.app working on the 2.1 or earlier firmware?

Maybe it's just because the ROMs were downloaded and added to the ROMs folder via a Cyida repo rather than SSH'ing them into the folder, so it has permission issues?
    ===========================================

DFU Restore Mode - Quick How-To:
    1. Power phone OFF.
    2. Hold power + home for 10 seconds.
    3. Let go of power and continue to hold home until iTunes finds the phone.

when i initially got it (prior to 2.2), it would just crash and send me back to the home screen. after the 2.2 update, it works fine.
    Last edited by tw1zt3d; 11-24-2008 at 04:00 PM.

Thanks

My NES keeps crashing and I am on 2.2 firmware!
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Same for me, awesomeiPod! It was working well on 2.2, then I just updated via Cydia, now it crashes. grr.

Thanks

Great news!! A new upgrade is released and it works!!
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Quote Originally Posted by punklove View Post
    okay... i had the same problem-- the problem is the NES update is for firmware 2.2, so we all should not have updated... it would have been nice to have had some warning of this- so say bye to your saved games,
    go to NES.app: The Nintendo Emulator for iPhone
    download the "Latest binary release [ 8/20/2008 ] for iPhoneOS v2.0 and v2.1" near the bottom of the page, and SSH into your applications folder and replace the NES.app folder, with the NES application you find in the "payload" folder after you unzip the download.

its easy- and i dont know if your saved games will be lost or not. mine were cause i deleted nes.app and tried to reinstall it through cydia, and tried reinstalling all the games via ssh yesterday- and today i just figured out that it was the wrong version-
    that's why i love this site and the people here. because of this post i fixed my phone in only about a min and a half. sweet! thank you thank you.

ughhhhhhh. So i updated to 2.2 on my phone and rejailbroke. Put nes and snes on there. They worked great for a while. Then it asked to update NES again... idk why since i had to redownload the 2.2 version anyway after i rejailbroke it. So i did and now it wont open. Just launches and fails. I tried what i did before and put back the 2.1 version and the only problem happens... fails when i launch the roms. I put back on the 2.2 version from that site and the app wont open. Neither version works :/

also SNES games wont save but im gonna research that now, unless any1 knows why that is happening.

nvm got it. It updated again for some reason. Not sure if it was something i did or if it just updated JUST now to fix the problem. Eitehr way it works and ignore what i wrote above.
    Last edited by doubledave22; 11-27-2008 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Banned
    Thanks

yea its funny - NES has been updated Countless timesand it still works like crap,

Theres no Smooth Game play - Its choppy and never smooth.

Only with the sound OFF does it seem to work right.

Im seriously confused and at a loss about this... how is something that doesnt even work right at all released.