Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: PLEASE Help! Brightness settiing broken w/ SBSettings!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Exclamation PLEASE Help! Brightness settiing broken w/ SBSettings!
    [This is my first post here at MMi, please direct me or move this thread if necessary]

I just upgraded to SBSettings 1.01 and I used the brightness toggle to dim down the brightness, then went into the Preferences.app on my home screen and went to the original brightness settings, then completely dimmed the brightness to the end of the slide bar.

Now, both the SBSettings toggle and the stock brightness toggles dont work, and I can hardly see my iPhone's screen at all. I tryed reinstalling both SBSettings and sbsettingstoggles and still the problem is haunting me.

Ive contacted BigBoss, but still no reply.

Can anyone SSH their Preferences.app out of the iPhone or iPod touch, zip it up and send me a MediaFire download link?

Any other suggestions? TIA

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I just tried to recreate your scenario, but couldn't. I tried toggling within the sbsettings and the settings apps and they work just fine. It dims and brightens in both.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    UGH have to re-pwn and I have 5 hours of homework to do :/

iPhone? More like MyPhone Renblade's Avatar
    Thanks

I had the same thing happen this morning. What I did to solve it was by holding down the power button for ten seconds (so that the device powers down). Then I started it up as normal and it was fine.

Although I learnt never to touch that toggle again.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Nevermind put it into DFU mode then it booted up with brightness working again. Weird :/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ilucas For This Useful Post:

leopod (11-17-2008)

same thing happened to me...at first it was because i pulled sbsetting's brightness to its minimum level...the next wake up of the iphone gave me a flickering low-level brightness, a simple reboot would give me back the brightness control on both built-in and sbsettings slider. But tonight i tried again with 1.0.1 and it actually dimmed almost completely my display...a simple reboot didn't work, but the DFU reboot did the job thanks to iLucas. (actually it wasn't a real DFU for all i know, what i did was turn off iPhone, and plugged computer-connected USB while holding home button - and released home button when i saw boot logo - if i had held home button i guess i would've been in the real DFU mode...) . So that's my story. Don't pull brightness all the way down in SB settings, that's what i learned from this.

Thanks

Wish I found this thread this morning before I spent all morning restoring and remodding. BTW site search did not bring this thread up. In fact it brought up nothing related. A global Google led me to what I already figured on - restore.
    Oh well, gave me a chance to try restore and jailbreak on my Macbook.

I had the same problem with brightness. I started getting all kinds of random rashes after using the brightness toggle. Yesterday I woke up to an iPhone that powered itself completely off. Holding power and home got it running. Till last night. Started with teh random crashes again and to avoid another issue with the iPhone powering down, I decided to manually reboot. Well in the dark it looked like my screen was dead. This morning I did see it was just no backlight. Played around and decided to restore. I did notice that the minute it hit restore mode the light came back on. I did consider pulling the plug and seeing if it would boot up but figured that there may have been some corruption so I restored. Was time anyway- things were getting cluttered and sluggish.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

Something I've observed with OS2.2; the brightness setting set when using SBSettings doesn't seem to withstand a power-cycle.

i.e; I set the brightness to "fairly low" in SBSettings, go on doing a few things, turn the phone off and back on - the brightness has gone way up again.

Steve

Slight amendment to my posting; the brightness setting set in SBSettings doesn't survive a Springboard restart - it doesn't require a power-cycle.

So; set brightness to low using SBSettings > Re-spring Springboard > Boing! Brightness is back up to very bright again.

Steve
    Last edited by briangriffin; 11-25-2008 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I'm getting this too!

You guys may laugh but i had a similar problem after i upgraded.

Solution: Went into my regular phone settings and adjusted it from there. The SBS setting then lined up with it accordingly. It worked for me, maybe it'll work for you. :-)

I only have the brightness problem with the flashlight app in Cydia.
    When the flashlight closes, it dims the brightness to about 5%.
    I just open the brightness slider in SBsettings to fix it.
    I hope there's a fix for it in the future, but its only a minor issue.

Had something like that recently. Launched Flashlight app from Cydia, then locked the phone, unlocked it and the backlight was totally off. I tried setting brightness from Preferences and SBSettings and launching Flashlight again and hard-rebooting - nothing helped. I almost crapped my pants, I thought screen died or something like that. Then I reset setting and it was back to normal. Pheeew