+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MobileSubstrate apps cause substantial lags

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Whenever I install an app that uses MobileSubstrate I see that iPhone starts to lag - boot and respring time doubles, applications start up time increases etc. Winterboard, Backgrounder, VoIPover3G
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Thumbs down MobileSubstrate apps cause substantial lags
    Whenever I install an app that uses MobileSubstrate I see that iPhone starts to lag - boot and respring time doubles, applications start up time increases etc. Winterboard, Backgrounder, VoIPover3G - I'd love to have them but I can put up with issues they create.

Have anyone else notice this? Why does it happen? I thought MobileSubstrate help *avoid* things like this.

iPhone? More like MyPhone jwilcox09's Avatar
    Thanks

I think i have noticed this as well...I have a couple apps that use Mobile Substrate and i notice my phone i slower as well. I at first thought that it was winterboard, but when i disable all theming items, my phone is still slow... So I think that it is entirely possible that MobileSubrate is the cause....

Thanks

There have been quite a few threads on apps that contribute to lag. Search the site and you will find a lot of reading. I think most people find various ways to minimize lag (search) and live with it in the name of having a phone with a cool skin.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

Green Apple
    Thanks

It's not about Winterboard alone and I, for one, can live without fancy skins. What I do want is Backgrounder and Extended Preferences, which work only with WB (why?..).

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Ya I was in the same position. I thought it was winterboard and swore off it. I found it was appls like Notify and other substrate apps that claim they do not run process but are part of the substrate.

I can go about a day but if i get texting or using the internet and other apps, after a few hours the phone gets really slow and I need to reboot it. I love notify and its ability to remind me but I am really leaning away from the lag it causes.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

yes i have come across the exact same thing and have uninstalled mobilesubstrate (including any apps that require it) and have found the phone to be faster and much more responsive than ever since i jailbroke it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ltjbigshot's Avatar
    Thanks

I just limit what apps I install. I use SBsettings and stacks, and thats where i end it. My phone works great have not had any problems!
    Last edited by ltjbigshot; 11-27-2008 at 08:06 AM.
    Sent from my iPad

Green Apple
    Thanks

Actually, since 2.2 I no longer see lags. Seriously. I install WB, Five Icons Dock, Notifier etc. Works great.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have also experience a lot less lag with 2.2 firmware. I have sbsettings, wb, intelliscreen, notifier and it's fine. Back on 2.1 it was almost unacceptable. The keyboard is quick in 2.2 also and I love that.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Damn right!
    The only app that has severe keyboard lags is Beejive - and, interesting, it was better on 2.1! But maybe it's because of all mobsubstrate apps I have know.