Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Chronus Backup App - Backing up via SSH

Default Chronus Backup App - Backing up via SSH
    Does anyone know what iPhone directory "Chronus.app" backs-up to?

One of the things am trying to figure out is which files (in what directory) can be manually copied to my computer to have an "off-phone" backup of my Chronus backup files (which I could theoretically drag back into this directory to restore from should the need ever arise).

I am a little puzzled as to how to go about using this application to backup and restore from/to...I know it allows you to email yourself a backup, but how then would I use that backup to restore from, if my Phone does require being completely restored?

I assume there must be a Chronus directory on my iPhone that I could SSH into so that I can drop the file I (hypothetically) had previously emailed myself when my phone crashed?

/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/TimeCapsule/

Can anyone explain this in more detail? How would you restore from a backup if you have to wipe out your iPhone? All the data in Chronus would be wiped as well, right?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bobolito View Post
    Can anyone explain this in more detail? How would you restore from a backup if you have to wipe out your iPhone? All the data in Chronus would be wiped as well, right?
    you would need to SSH the /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/TimeCapsule/ directory to your desktop as a backup. After you restore the firmware, you reinstall all your apps then reinstall Chronus. After that you can SSH the /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/TimeCapsule/ back to your iPhone and then restore the data.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bhz1 For This Useful Post:

jdeepbleu (04-14-2009)

Nice, thanks!

you would need to SSH the /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/TimeCapsule/ directory to your desktop as a backup. After you restore the firmware, you reinstall all your apps then reinstall Chronus. After that you can SSH the /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/TimeCapsule/ back to your iPhone and then restore the data.
    How do you restore the emailed backup file? I tried putting the emailed file into /var/mobile/Library/Prefrences/TimCapsule but nothing showed up in Chronus. Your instructions I believe are saying to backup the files in the folder first to your deskptop, but if I didn't do that and I just emailed the backup files, how do I put them back on?

UPDATE: NVM I figured it out. I didn't realize you're supposed to unzip the file first...I know retarded of me.
    Last edited by jsharpe; 12-29-2008 at 06:50 PM.

I believe and after testing it by backing up using Chronus, we shall find several files for examples, after you back up the Contacts, you shall get
    the following files in the sub-directory of your Iphone:
    /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/TimeCapsule/ (several files
    AddressBook.sqlitedb; AddressBookImages.sqlitedb; descriptions.plist

Similarly, if you back up your SMS you shall get the following files in the sub-directory of your Iphone:
    /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/TimeCapsule/ (several files:
    sms.db; descriptions.plist

Now, you just copy all these files into your PC Subdirectory.

After you restore the firmware, you can SSH back these files to your iphone for the Contacts at the following subdirectory:
    /private/var/mobile/Library/AddressBook
    (replacing the created ones from the upgraded firmware)

for the SMS to the following subdirectory:
    /private/var/mobile/Library/SMS
    (replacing the created ones from the upgraded firmware)

You do not need to ssh the descriptions.plist to the respective directory

then just Reboot your Iphone, you will get back your contacts, sms, and anything that you back up and replace back to its respective application directory.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to buangsampah2003 For This Useful Post:

jdeepbleu (04-14-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Does it work with a clean install...NOT A RESTORE?

Meaning could I completely set up my iphone as a new iphone, install Chronus and other associated apps, ssh into my phone and paste the TimeCapsule folder in the proper location, then restore application data?

Quote Originally Posted by ripped53 View Post
    Does it work with a clean install...NOT A RESTORE?

Meaning could I completely set up my iphone as a new iphone, install Chronus and other associated apps, ssh into my phone and paste the TimeCapsule folder in the proper location, then restore application data?
    I'm pretty sure, that yes, this will work

Thanks

It most definitley will work on a clean install. I always restore as a new iphone and Chronus is an important part of getting my stuff back.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

Livin the iPhone Life Napoleon_PhoneApart's Avatar
    Thanks

You can also email the backups to yourself. I would be nice if Chronus (which I use) would let you email all your backups at once instead of one a time, which is dog slow.

my chronus 2.18 does not backing up data. i have license (the buggy one), but when I press the back up button, nothing happens. ive tried unninstaling, reinstalling, deleting every time capsule/chronus file from iphone (ssh). nothing! any suggestions?

Unbelievable!!
    After 20 seconds of my post, the chronus backup worked!
    Omg!
    This site rocks!
    Thanx for being! For existing!
    Last edited by mkedge; 03-06-2009 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Very helpful...thanks.

Does anyone know if Chronus is working on the new 3.0 firmware?