Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussionforums, a part of the
3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touchsection;
I've already posted this in another thread, but got no reply. I'm having several problems with some apps not working while behind an authenticated proxy. Both Installer and Cydia can't...
09-04-2008, 07:32 PM #1Apps not working on wifi proxy authentication
I've already posted this in another thread, but got no reply. I'm having several problems with some apps not working while behind an authenticated proxy. Both Installer and Cydia can't refresh their sources. I've thought there was something wrong with these apps, as they worked well on a connection without a proxy. But, after some trial and error, I've noticed that other apps also hit this wall too: Weather and Stocks also don't refresh while behind the proxy, but works OK without it. I've re-pwned my phone several times, and still nothing.
This only happened after the upgrade to 2.0.2. It was 1.1.4 before, and never gave me a trouble then. Interestingly, Safari works well, but asks for username and password even if I've included this on the wifi configuration. Did someone else has this problems to?
09-04-2008, 07:37 PM #2
hmmmm...that is interesting.
Let try this...go to this on iphone and reset the network.
Settings/General/Reset/Reset Nework Settings
See if that will work.
09-05-2008, 03:34 PM #3
Even after I've reset the network settings as instructed, the same behavior persists: everything fine on open connections, but nothing on proxied ones.
Also, I've run all the apps on the open connection and on the two proxied connections, to see which one works and how:
* YouTube and MxTube are blocked on both the proxied connections, so don't work, but this is expected. On the open connection they are fine;
* Weather and Stocks tries to refresh on the proxied ones, but after a while an error message is displayed. The network activity wheel on the menu bar keeps spinning during all the time. Nothing wrong on the open connection;
* Maps can use the LocateMe function, but the map or satellite image aren't loaded. If I load it on the open connection before, the image keeps on the background, but nothing is loaded, despite the network activity wheel spinning;
* Safari goes completely normal on the open, but on the other ones asks me for login and password for the proxy, even if they are already included on the network setup;
* Oddly, App Store works on BOTH of them! And it don't even bother me for asking a login and password! Who knows...
* Cydia tries to refresh when launched, but came with an "Error: undefined error" message on the proxied ones. Even if I refresh it on the open one and change to the proxied one to only downloada package, it gets this error. Otherwise, it's completely OK on the open.
* iTunes Store works identically on both connections, as App Store. But, as the iTunes Store here in Brazil only includes the App Store, on both situations it displays a quick message about this and changes to the App Store.
* Mail works on the open one, whatever type of server I've got (SMTP, POP, IMAP and Push Mail), but is completely useless on the proxied ones.
The phone is fully working, except for Visual VoiceMail, which is not part of my operator's service list. Bluetooth, WiFi, SMS, Caller ID, syncing, playback of video and audio, camera, everything was checked and OK. Reiterating, it was OK when I was on 1.1.4, with all apps working on all the three connections.
I've made a list of all the packs installed on the iphone. Most of them were included in the custom firmware on PwnageTool as Cydia packages:
* 2.0 Safari Patch v2.00-1: via pwnage;
* BossPrefs v2.12b: pwnage;
* Bourne-Again SHel: pwnage;
* BrFix v1.0d (regionalization for Brazil): pwnage;
* Cydia Community Sources v0-7: pwnage;
* MobileTerminal v316s-6: pwnage;
* ModMyI's Source v0-3: pwnage;
* Sudo v1.6.9p12-4: pwnage;
* MxTube v1.5a: via Cydia on the iPhone;
* OpenSSH v4.7p1-5: Cydia;
As you can see, the list is quite reduced. Before my last system restore, I've also had Installer, NES, MacMan and Cycorder, but I chose not to include them to minimize the chance of conflicts.
09-08-2008, 03:10 PM #4
Another message, just to refresh the thread. I'm still waiting for someone to answer this, guys. If anyone else has trouble using the 2G iPhone 2.0.2 behind a proxy/firewall, please, let's share some experiences. I really don't believe I'm the only one with this. It could be even a firmware bug and, without feedback, it can go unsolved to 2.1.
Forgot about this: there's another thread with similar symptoms. I've also posted there a while ago.
And another incidence. Just search on the page for the word "proxy" and you'll see a touch of what I'm having here (except that is most of the apps instead of just Cydia):
The URL above seems to be blocked by MMI's system. The site is apple-iphone-apps-dot-com.
Last edited by dwsmartins; 09-08-2008 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Silly blocking of link
09-08-2008, 04:37 PM #5
Try using the http proxy app "Privoxy" workswell here for me on my iPhone with none of those probs, can fully customize it's filters, etc also for your needs.
09-08-2008, 07:14 PM #6
privoxy? Is it available on Cydia?
Well.. At least it isn't available on the common sources. Do you know where you've got it?
Last edited by dwsmartins; 09-08-2008 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
09-08-2008, 10:26 PM #7
09-15-2008, 11:55 PM #8
03-15-2009, 12:38 PM #9
Yes I've got the same problem too. I've successfully used:
to tether my Phone online via USB cable. In my case safari works well but I'm having huge problems with my apps.
Cydia cannot refresh it's sources and doesn't download apps unless I try 50 times, everytime getting the POSIX Error.
MXtube can't download any videos
Mail doesn't work either
I use Bitvise Tunnelier a my GUI SSH Client and I'm guessing I should forward all my apps on the "S2C fwding" tab, but then again I don't even know their repective Port ranges. I also use privoxy and it's supposed to act as an http proxy for all http-based native iPhone applications. It does work a bit as cydia can at least search for apps and mxtube can search for videos but the problem comes when I try to download anything. Anyone going through the same thing and has solutions, i would greatly appreciate.
Iphone 3g running firmware 2.20 baseband 02.08.00
05-08-2010, 10:43 PM #10Same problem!!
Man i have the same problem.. Although i may have some good news for you guys. Just a couple of weeks ago i was testing out os 4.0 beta developers version. and I seemed to have access to internet accross all applications through the same proxy server.
And yes, when i was on 1.41 or wateva, it was working fine. ever since os 2.0 ive been blocked out of internet through 3rd party applications including youtube and mail. So i only get internet on appstore safari and itunes.. do we all have the same problem?
Probably need to contact apple about this
09-29-2010, 12:09 AM #11
Just google searched this problem and found this thread. Same thing is happening to me..only safari and mail apps work on my school wifi. I can't get skype to work or the official msn messenger app (though the ebuddy app works). Anyone know a fix?