+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Talkster's FREE VoIP... Feedback anyone ???

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Hello all Just ran across this and wanted to know if there any of you out there had any experience with this service. Talkster ( http://talkster.com/ ) They even have
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Exclamation Talkster's FREE VoIP... Feedback anyone ???
    Hello all

Just ran across this and wanted to know if there any of you out there had any experience with this service.

Talkster
    ( http://talkster.com/ )

They even have iPhone Support !

For the exception of the cost of a local call Its FREE but you have to jump through a few hoops first and give up some 10-15 seconds of your time prior to the connections to listen to commercials. But other than that its all FREE (Advertisement Supported) No per minute fees No registration No Credit card No Pay-Pal.

Will be trying it later on this week, but wanted to know if any of you had already tried it and can comment on it?

I will post the findings and quality.
    Will appreciate any and all other feedback.

Thanks
    NikonBoy

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NikonBoy For This Useful Post:

CoolMom (01-23-2008)

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Never heard of it. Gonna look into it now. Does it still take your minutes or does it use the data network?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Green Apple
    Thanks

YES unfortunately...

But I have T-Mobile with "My-Faves" (Unlimited calling to 5 numbers) so you can actually program one or two numbers for the most dialed numbers overseas. Like mum and Sib or best mate.

Some carriers allow FREE plan minutes to certain numbers and since its a local number NO roaming or long distance costs if your plan does not include them for free already.

Again I will be trying it out and will be reporting here.
    NB

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thumbs up Tried it, liked it
    I tried out Talkster over the holidays, and it worked as promised. The quality was good (which was what I was most concerned about since its free). I set-up some group calls so my kids could thank people for the Christmas gifts they sent and everyone we called really liked it! The most we had on a single call was 5 people and again, the quality was good.

I was surprised that I didn't have to listen to an ad since what I read said it was "ad-supported" but maybe that was a special for the holidays? There was a short prompt on how to use the system (some tips) that we had to listen to and then we were connected.

This Mom gives Talkster a thumbs up for giving me a free way to connect my kids with the rest of our family spread around the globe.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CoolMom For This Useful Post:

NikonBoy (01-24-2008)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks Mom !

We appreciate the feedback.
    I tried it this morning for the first time with a friend in Spain (I'm the US) and it worked as they claimed. Good call quality, no echo and no drops in calls.

So far no complaints.
    A+ rating for me.

Until we get a WiFi/EDGE VoIP that does not chew up your airtime minutes this is the best so far for me.

NikonBoy

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

does it work with the sip-voip app?

Green Apple
    Thanks

I am not sure, but I have a feeling it does NOT.

Green Apple
    Thanks

so you can call different countries with this and its free? sorry if its a dumb question

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

this might be a dumb question but whatever. Wouldnt it charge the person that calls u though?

Thanks

Looks like a great application
    But ill-luck favours my location
    No support for India
    Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

this will not work with an iphone with no current service plan yes/no?

Does anyone know any voip services that would work with an unactivated iphone (or itouch basically)??

Thanks

I would like to know as well as I cancelled the phone part long ago

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hello all ...
    Sorry for the late reply but I was away for some time.
    In any case....

This app is as free as the air you breath. It will allow you to make calls FREE of any LONG distance charges to YOU or to whomever you call. This is NOT for the iPhone alone, this will work with ANY phone even land lines.

This is a service that will connect two or more people across the world using local numbers for all parties and connecting them via a web connection.

Its simple...
    - You go on line (Either with iPhone or PC/Mac)and register your number (iPhone, blackberry, land line ANYTHING)
    - Register the phone number you want to call (iPhone, blackberry, land line ANYTHING)
    - You get an e-mail from Talkster with "Special Numbers" for you and the number you want to call.
    - You send your friend in another country HIS Special number he will need this to call you.
    - Now just place a call to the number they sent you (Should be a local number so no long distance charges) the system automatically calls your friend that number is associated with. you'll have 10 seconds to tell them " Its ME, call me back on my Talkster number"

- Now you STAY on the line while your friend hangs up and calls you back.
    - A few seconds later you are both on lien and talking.

You will hear instructions while you wait and possibly a small or short commercial for a local business while you wait

NO LIMIT on calls so talk away.
    I tried it and LOVED IT ! NO lag time to static NOTHING, plain and CLEAR calls.

My GF was in Spain for two months and we kept in touch all the time for PEANUTS if not totally FREE compared to the $0.54 a min T-Mobile wanted for the long distance charges between the US and Spain.

I encourage you to try it out with anyone in the world or even across town so you can test the quality.

Quote Originally Posted by jujubeanser View Post
    this will not work with an iphone with no current service plan yes/no?

Does anyone know any voip services that would work with an unactivated iphone (or itouch basically)??
    No you NEED a phone number in order for this to work.

so you can call different countries with this and its free? sorry if its a dumb question
    YES ...Any country thats listed on their site. Check it out !

this might be a dumb question but whatever. Wouldnt it charge the person that calls u though?
    NO, NO ONE gets charged. the ONLY charge is AIRTIME NOT long distance or roaming. If you have unlimited calling to local numbers then you are SET. You can even use from a land line or land to land not only on mobiles.

Hope this helps
    And enjoy
    NikonBoy

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    does this work for itouch or could any1 reccomend any voip-sip client for ipod touch