Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Question about BossTool

Default Question about BossTool
    If I use BossTool to move my apps to clear disk space, will the apps I install after moving also be stored there?

Yes. It creates a link from /Applications to the new location. The "OS" doesn't know anything moved. Everything will get installed to /Applications still, but that points to the new location, so in effect, it gets installed to the new location.
    -BigBoss
    Please do not send me messages here as I never check them. If you need to contact me, send me an email. My contact info is easy to find from inside Cydia.

Oh ok..thanks..great app you've got here.

One more question: What does the iPod wiper do? Delete all songs and videos?

Thumbs up Good work - Nice app
    I have just installed this app (V0.34) and would just like to say nice work, worked flawlessly for me and has given me that extra space I have been after since I took the plunge and upgraded to 1.1.2.

Now the only questions I have are :-

1,Is there any easy way to undo these symbolic links should I need to at some point in the future ?

2,Will this create any problems should I upgrade / downgrade my firmware at any point ?

BTW I have an unlocked upgraded 1.0.2 iPhone W37 now running 1.1.2 with full functionality, and no issues to date !

One more question: What does the iPod wiper do? Delete all songs and videos
    Yes. It is for those times where you can not sync off songs or videos on your phone or touch. Happens occasionally. Now you can wipe your ipod section without having to restore.

Is there any easy way to undo these symbolic links should I need to at some point in the future ?
    Not without using SSH and typing commands at the terminal. You would need to delete the link and move the apps back from /var/Applications to /Applications.

Will this create any problems should I upgrade / downgrade my firmware at any point ?
    No. Those functions will wipe it out and you'll have to redo it again after.
    -BigBoss
    Please do not send me messages here as I never check them. If you need to contact me, send me an email. My contact info is easy to find from inside Cydia.

If I use BossTool to transfer all my stuff, will the memory space it was initially in become inaccessible?

By that I mean, the X mb it had reserved for apps and stuff...after using BossTool, all new apps will be stored in the new location, so doesn't the memory space in the old location become useless?

Default Since I used the tool today and now I respring every 3 freakin seconds
    Am I going to have to restore?
    That's pretty awesome. I thought it was great that there was a "prepare for 1.1.2" tool, but now I'm not so happy.

Can't wait to restore and lose everything.
    Thanks!

If I use BossTool to transfer all my stuff, will the memory space it was initially in become inaccessible?

By that I mean, the X mb it had reserved for apps and stuff...after using BossTool, all new apps will be stored in the new location, so doesn't the memory space in the old location become useless?
    Applications won't go there. You can still use it for apps in /usr/bin and such.
    Am I going to have to restore?
    That's pretty awesome. I thought it was great that there was a "prepare for 1.1.2" tool, but now I'm not so happy.
    What you're going to do is going to depend on what you have installed. Can you SSH into your phone? Did you move wallpaper and ringtones first and make sure that free space was actually freed up? There were plenty of warnings that moving system files is a risky process. http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthr...light=bosstool
    -BigBoss

Oh OK..I don't want 300MB of my iPhone memory going waste...I can still use that partition for other things, right?

Hi BigBoss,

I installed BossTool and see that I have 21MB free out of the 300MB.

OK, tell that to me that I'm a real chix, I'm so afraid to tap those "move" buttons just in case it failed on my iphone and I have no knowledge of SSH and command entry to restore...

I don't install much stuffs, only those essential one!

So, as it stands, is 21MB of free space is a safe free space for my iphone now? By the way, what is the idea minimum free spce on that 300MB patetion?

Cheers!
    Last edited by kevinti; 01-13-2008 at 08:02 AM.

Oh OK..I don't want 300MB of my iPhone memory going waste...I can still use that partition for other things, right?
    This doesn't free up 300mb. It frees up about 50mb. It's good for your OS to have free space on it for things like internet cache, bsd commands, etc.

OK, tell that to me that I'm a real chix, I'm so afraid to tap those "move" buttons just in case it failed on my iphone and I have no knowledge of SSH and command entry to restore...

I don't install much stuffs, only those essential one!

So, as it stands, is 21MB of free space is a safe free space for my iphone now? By the way, what is the idea minimum free spce on that 300MB patetion?
    Yep, you'll have to make the decision on your own. I won't lie to you. You always risk having to restore by moving apps. Most people are having good luck with it, but something could always go wrong. I'd say your odds are better than 99.9% that it will be ok. But whats the big deal? Is a restore really such a catastrophy? Anyways, I always move everything as soon as I jailbreak a phone.
    -BigBoss

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigBoss For This Useful Post:

gunzla (01-28-2008), Tommer (01-18-2008), yossariangt (01-13-2008)

Used the Boss Toll V.35!
    Had 20mb left and was about to ssh and type in a symlink!
    Thanks man your a ledgend, saved me heaps of time!
    Just moved fonts and mem went up to 104mb!

Used the Boss Toll V.35!
    Had 20mb left and was about to ssh and type in a symlink!
    Thanks man your a ledgend, saved me heaps of time!
    Just moved fonts and mem went up to 104mb!

Thanks

I just installed BossTool V.35... I had 30mb left, but after moving ringtones and fonts, I have 118mb left now. I haven't moved my applications yet, I don't have too many apps installed... so I think I'll hold off on moving the applications for now... for some reason I'm still a bit hesitant to move them; I'm afraid something will go wrong. I'm not planning on doing this, but just out of curiosity, what happens if you uninstall BossTool after you've already moved your applications, fonts and ringtones... just wondering.

does Bosstool 0.35 support the official dev 1.1.3 Jailbreak? can it move apps to the proper location for running as /mobile? searched a lot and just cant seem to find a definite answer to this, the fact that there are two seriously different variants of the 1.1.3 JB has really left a lot of patches and repository files that are not labeled very explicitly... if anyone could let me know it would be great, w/ Installer, BSD, SSH and community sources 3.2 installed i have a whopping 248kb free in my / folder. am afraid to even refresh sources when that low, will temporarily backup and delete a factory app before installing Bosstool if if can work w/ dev 1.1.3...

I was hoping BossTool would fix my "not enough room to take pictures" problem. (Whenever I try to launch the Camera app, I get a message that says "There is not enough room to take additional pictures. Please delete some existing photos." This has been documented on other threads.)
    I've moved fonts, ringtones and apps using BossTool, but the problem's still there. I haven't used iPod Wiper but might try it next if you think it might help. Are there plans to add a "Photos Wiper" function to BossTool?

BigBoss,
    First great apps you got, I used it my otb 1.12 when it was full and no problems (it was a long 30 seconds) Just got a couple of questions.
    1 in an earlier thread you said future installed apps would be going to the new location, but after i ran the move app. it gave me about 30Mb free space. i have been downloading other programs and now i have 12Mb free.( i think i installed perl I guess i can check by looking at /Applications for anything new)

2. If i re-authorize my iphone to another pc i know it will wipe out my music but how will the app move to /var/Applications be effected?

Thanks -

Quote Originally Posted by peepeewoo View Post
    I was hoping BossTool would fix my "not enough room to take pictures" problem. (Whenever I try to launch the Camera app, I get a message that says "There is not enough room to take additional pictures. Please delete some existing photos." This has been documented on other threads.)
    I've moved fonts, ringtones and apps using BossTool, but the problem's still there. I haven't used iPod Wiper but might try it next if you think it might help. Are there plans to add a "Photos Wiper" function to BossTool?
    I have the same problem. Anyone got a solution?

Thanks for your reply. I installed App Fix...but it says it's only for older fiemware. I'm on 1.1.3.
    I could downgrade again and use it...but I've downgraded three times already trying to fix this camera problem and no luck.
    Anyone else got any answers?
    Or anyone kno where pics you take with the phone are stored...at lease I can check there is still a folder there!!

using winscp you dont have to type anything to return the applications to the root folde, just drag and drop :P

you do need to type "Applications" if you want to create an empty Applications folder.
    pd: what i do not know is how to keep my apps and have installer Know that they are installed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast