+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: No longer able to Install

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Originally Posted by BigBoss If all the above seems too hard, you can start uninstalling stuff in the /Applications dir that you dont need. You need to free up about
    My iPhone is a Part of Me n0m0n's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoss View Post

If all the above seems too hard, you can start uninstalling stuff in the /Applications dir that you dont need. You need to free up about 5 mb of hdd space. Then when you do that, install bossprefs, run it, move all the 3 folders, reboot, and install your stuff back. In fact, maybe that's the better way.
    Ok I took the easy road or so I thought.
    I un-installed a few apps along with a few dictionaries to free enough space up it install Boss Tool.
    I chose to move the ringtones, wallpaper, as well as the applications all via Boss Tools.

Now I cant un-install Boss Tools, in fact it does not appear in the un-install section of the Installer.
    It does appear in the Install section of Installer which is a little scary since I have the icon on my home page so the app is installed.
    That said I also cant install anything any longer which is where I started from.

I have tried multi times to choose the mover app, wall, ring via your tools app.

I have rebooted (totally) I cant un-install Boss Tools, actually my fear is that it partially installed.
    Does Boss Tools have a question mark as the icon?
    Because that is what it is when I look at it on the home page.
    When I go into terminal it still looks like I have no memory.

Any idea's?

While I await your reply I will start to un-install EVERYTHING and see if I can re-install Boss Tools again so just to make sure its fully installed.
    Thanks
    Last edited by n0m0n; 01-11-2008 at 07:14 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

any ideas for those of us who cannot install things anymore? i do not believe it's a memory issue for me either because i deleted a couple mb worth of apps and installer is still crashing.

my thoughts are the same as a couple other people posting... i think it has something to do with the sources. i was just fine until updating all the sources the other day.

EDIT: perhaps it is a memory issue. i just used AFP to browse the files on my iphone and it says there are 0kb available when i look through my applications. i've actually gone through and deleted some and it still says there are 0kb available. any ideas??

EDIT #2: it's definitely a memory issue. i just SSHed into my phone via terminal and ran the df -h command. it's telling me that the application partition is totally full. however, like i mentioned, when i delete things, i don't get the memory back. what the heck do i do to fix that?

EDIT #3: i am actually getting somewhere! i started uninstalling a few apps from installer (using installer) and also updated my sources since new ones were available. i now have 948kb available. i'm going to try and figure out what else i can delete to free up some space (i'm confused as to where the 300mb went! i do have quite a few apps installed but none of them are that big!) and then hopefully run the 300mb fix. any other ideas for me, please send them my way!

EDIT #4: whoo hoo! thanks to this thread:
    http://modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25044
    i was able to find and install BossTool to move some stuff around so i now have some space available! hopefully this post will help a few of you out as well. although, i'm still rather confused about where some of my memory went...
    Last edited by billchase2; 01-11-2008 at 11:19 AM.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I have a iPod Touch and hit a issue like this. After installing a bunch of stuff I had a 100% full /dev/disk0s1 partition.

I found the simplest way to solve this for me was to simple move the /Applications folder to a spot on the second partition that has tons of free space.

This is what I did.

cd /
    mkdir /private/var/Applications (this is where I want stuff to end up)
    cp -Rf /Applications/* /private/var/Applications/ (make a copy of everything in the Applications folder)
    mv /Applications /Applications.old (get the /Applications dir out of the way)
    ln -s /private/var/Applications /Applications (Make a static link to the new Applications directory location from / )

after verifying this worked I removed the /Applications.old folder.

ls -la /Applications
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 24 Jan 11 20:08 /Applications -> private/var/Applications

df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/disk0s1 300M 259M 39M 88% /
    devfs 15K 15K 0 100% /dev
    /dev/disk0s2 15G 110M 15G 1% /private/var

Hope this helps... I now can install as many apps as I want and not have to worry much about running out of space.

-Tibs

Green Apple
    Thanks

I like the bosstools app. Quick question: is there a way to undo the move? Also, when I FTP into my iphone, I still see an Applications directory in the top most directory. Is this just an alias? Thanks!

Developer
    Thanks

I have rebooted (totally) I cant un-install Boss Tools, actually my fear is that it partially installed.
    Does Boss Tools have a question mark as the icon?
    Because that is what it is when I look at it on the home page.
    When I go into terminal it still looks like I have no memory.
    Yep, sounds like bosstool only partially installed. The problem was (as I think I may have warned in my long post) that you did not delete enough memory for this to work. Bosstool does not have a ? as an icon. The reason you have that is that the icon is missing probably because you did not have enough free space to copy it over And yep, you cant uninstall bosstool because it didnt finish installing causing it to not appear in the installed apps list.
    I like the bosstools app. Quick question: is there a way to undo the move?
    Not within the tool.
    Also, when I FTP into my iphone, I still see an Applications directory in the top most directory. Is this just an alias? Thanks!
    That's a symbolic link to the new location of applications. In order for everything to keep working, /Applications must be the root location of your apps. You can move things wherever you want as long as there is a link from the old place.
    I found the simplest way to solve this for me was to simple move the /Applications folder to a spot on the second partition that has tons of free space.
    Your manual steps will work for most people. But depends on how jailbreak was done, your fstab may mount /private/var with noexec. If this is the case, using your steps, your device is screwed because nothing will be executable any longer. Thats the main reason I recommend using bosstool over doing it manually.
    Last edited by BigBoss; 01-12-2008 at 01:53 AM.
    -BigBoss
    Please do not send me messages here as I never check them. If you need to contact me, send me an email. My contact info is easy to find from inside Cydia.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    How do i find out how much space do i have. I was reading the thread and someone said type df -h, something like that ...but where do i type it? I'm using fugu,is that where i type it and how? Sorry, i'm really not good with computer.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Unhappy Aaaaaaaaaaaagggghhhhh Helllllp
    This is wrecking me too. I go to install something and my phone goes back to springboard. I have no idea what SSH is so can someone put it in idiot terminology please. Sorry, it's doing my head in!!! I also cant delete from finder.app. I can see files that I have tried to download and then I cannot delete them??? I've spent about a week on this and I have got nowhere.

Can anyone give me the 'idiots' guide to solving this please?

Thank you guys

Gemma

Thanks

Ok
    WOW: I cant believe how many people are having similar issues with this, and it took this thread to reveal the install problem.
    When I started this thread I was TOTALLY in the dark about why I couldn't install onto my iPhone.
    I can say "WITHOUT A DOUBT" that it was a memory issue for me, and it sounds like it is for everyone else posting.
    It gets frustrating when you try something new and it doesn't appear to work, be simply enough, as we all wish it should be.

Upon getting the info above I un-install what I thought numerically should have been enough, just to get worried (frustrated) again when I still could not install the Btool.
    I then deleted additional apps which still appeared not to be enough for whatever reason.
    Finally I install the tool, and to my frustration grew when it apparently installed it partially (icon = ?)
    (That is a strange thing (A PARTIALLY INSTALLED APP)).
    Anyway I finally got mad un-installed an additional 6 apps still nothing.
    DUHHHHHHHHH...
    I totally shut off and restarted the iPhone and there she be, I could install the BTool(FULLY).
    I migrated everything over via the Btool, re-installed all my apps and my initial issue has been addressed and satisfied.

This bring me to 2 additional questions:
    1. Since I moved my Wall, Ring, and Apps over via the BTool...
    Can I migrate one, or all back over to the original location?
    (Not that I am planning to do this, but I am just curious)?
    Maybe a future option?

2. When I originally moved the Wall, Ring, Apps, I noticed that I now had 96M of 300M available...
    I then reinstalled all the apps/dictionaries, that I deleted to make room for the Tool, it now says 50M available.
    Why did I only have 96M?
    Why did I loose 46M upon re-installing the apps dictionaries?

Thanks

Developer
    Thanks

1. Since I moved my Wall, Ring, and Apps over via the BTool...
    Can I migrate one, or all back over to the original location?
    (Not that I am planning to do this, but I am just curious)?
    Maybe a future option?
    It's all or none. You can move them *all* back manually by deleting the /Applications link, moving /var/Applications to /Applications and you're good.

2. When I originally moved the Wall, Ring, Apps, I noticed that I now had 96M of 300M available...
    I then reinstalled all the apps/dictionaries, that I deleted to make room for the Tool, it now says 50M available.
    Why did I only have 96M?
    Why did I loose 46M upon re-installing the apps dictionaries?
    That sure doesnt sound right. If it moved everything, you shouldnt have this number shrink any more no matter what you installed. When you load bosstool and go to the HDD space, it says "applications already relocated"?
    -BigBoss
    Please do not send me messages here as I never check them. If you need to contact me, send me an email. My contact info is easy to find from inside Cydia.

Thanks

It's all or none. You can move them *all* back manually by deleting the /Applications link, moving /var/Applications to /Applications and you're good.

That sure doesnt sound right. If it moved everything, you shouldnt have this number shrink any more no matter what you installed. When you load bosstool and go to the HDD space, it says "applications already relocated"?
    Yes it does.

Developer
    Thanks

Yes it does.
    Can you monitor your bigger partition also? Go get disk space count, install something, then see if it decremented at all. You may need to install something sort of big like apollo to get it to be noticable. If the big partition is decrementing I would guess things are working correctly.
    -BigBoss

Thanks

Can you monitor your bigger partition also? Go get disk space count, install something, then see if it decremented at all. You may need to install something sort of big like apollo to get it to be noticable. If the big partition is decrementing I would guess things are working correctly.
    I am not sure what you mean?
    I can see via term-tv100 both.
    When I enter df -h I get the following:

Filesystem Size Used Avail Used% M
    dev/disk0s1 300m 248m 50m 84% /
    devfs 18k 18k 0 100% /

dev
    dev/disk0s2 7.3G 1.3G 6.1G 17% /
    private/var

Is this helpful?

Thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

dear someone,

i definatly need some help here. When i clicked on installer, it load into the first screen with blank application then jump back to the springboard. I really wonder why?

i had accidently deleted previously thinking that i want to re-installed. I wonder if it is because some files are missing? Can Anyone please guide me how to reinstaller via iphonebrowser?

Deeply Appreciated =)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hello,
    I still need an answer to my question. How do i check my disk space?Something about df -h...where do i type this? Please help..

Developer
    Thanks

I am not sure what you mean?
    I can see via term-tv100 both.
    When I enter df -h I get the following:

Filesystem Size Used Avail Used% M
    dev/disk0s1 300m 248m 50m 84% /
    devfs 18k 18k 0 100% /

dev
    dev/disk0s2 7.3G 1.3G 6.1G 17% /
    private/var
    To be honest, everything looks ok from my perspective. Thats about the right amount of free disk space without /Applications. I think you're good.
    i definatly need some help here. When i clicked on installer, it load into the first screen with blank application then jump back to the springboard. I really wonder why?

i had accidently deleted previously thinking that i want to re-installed. I wonder if it is because some files are missing? Can Anyone please guide me how to reinstaller via iphonebrowser?
    What did you delete? If you're not out of disk space, you probably have corruption in /var/root/Library/Installer folder plist files. Here are instructions to test and fix that.
    1) Grab this file: http://markmon.mine.nu:90/Installer.zip
    2) Use iphonebrowser, ibrickr or such to get to /var/root/Library
    3) Rename Installer dir to Installerold
    4) Create a new installer dir and extract the contents of the zip file into it.
    5) Start installer. If it works you knew that was the problem.
    6) You're not done yet. Try copying LocalPackages.plist from Installerold to Installer. Rerun installer. If it works, you at least have your packages still installed. You can update your community sources and you should be up and running.

I still need an answer to my question. How do i check my disk space?Something about df -h...where do i type this? Please help..
    If you need to ask this, you probably shouldn't be poking around the shell. Try installing bosstool and looking at the free disk space section.
    -BigBoss

Thanks

All those who are still having issues with Installer and dont think its related to your memory should take a look at this:

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthr...staller+source

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default BigBoss
    I installed BossTool and only moved app's. I have 42MB free out of the 300 MB. Does this appear about right? I have around 35 wallpapers downloaded. I also wanted to know at what point I should think about moving Wallpaper and ringtones?

I prefer to change things only as I need to. Also, moving wallpaper and ringtones after moving app will not cause any issues will it (I noticed you said to move wallpaper and ringtones first and change disk space changes)? I did not do this. I moved applications because I was getting a message about space getting full and since I move my applications I am no longer getting this message and have downloaded several more apps so just assumed it must have worked.

Thanks for your feedback.
    Last edited by batter; 01-23-2008 at 06:41 AM. Reason: additional information

Green Apple
    Thanks

Wait. So I just replace the Installer files in my iPhone via iBrickr(for example) with the files in that ZIP file. and it is fixed?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnofdadead View Post
    Wait. So I just replace the Installer files in my iPhone via iBrickr(for example) with the files in that ZIP file. and it is fixed?
    What version iPhone you using?
    iPhone v.1.0.2?

Once you installed the Installer it updated itself?

Thanks

Thanks

Default Know the problem, not the solution
    Ok guys, I think I know where my problem is, but I have no idea how to fix it. I just got my iPhone a few days ago, but before that I bought an iPod Touch. Now I have everything jailbroken and the Installer.app on there.

Things were fine until I tried installing MobileChat both with the iPod Touch and the iPhone. When installing this program, it got as far as actually attempting to install it, but then crashed half way through the install and exited out to the springboard (both with iPod Touch and iPhone).

Now If I try and install anything, Installer.app crashes when it reaches the install point for any program. I'm therefore assuming that it has something to do with that particular program.

Any ideas on how to fix this mess without redoing all my current work?

Proud to be an Apple user since 1990... at the age of 4.