+ Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Categories App and Bug Reports

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey,

I really much enjoy using Categories.app but I discovered a bug not reported here already.
    When I use 's or 's (a or o with two dots above them - those nordic letters) in category titles they don't render properly and I cannot remove those categories using the app. I had to SSH into my iPod Touch to get rid of them.

It would be nice to be able to use those letters aswell as they're quite common in Finnish, Swedish and other nordic countries.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi,

I'm using Categories and have noticed, that the render quality of the text below the icons is not as good as on the springboard/winterboard itself - it looks somehow jagged. Is it possible to render the text with the same settings as given by the selected theme?

Has anyone else noticed this?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey BigBoss - I need some help. I was using your Categories app when I was using firmware 2.1. When I did my upgrade to fw 2.2, your app was no longer on my phone, and all of my apps that I had placed into my categories were no where to be found.

It seems like the phone still remembers the way the categories were setup, but I have no access(dissapeared, but still installed) to the apps that were placed inside my categories I created using your program.

I've tried re-installing it, but my previously made folders are no longer listed, and all of my apps are gone. If I try to reinstall the apps that were placed in my categories, they install but never appear.

What do I do??? Please help!

iPhone? More like MyPhone kjack05's Avatar
    Thanks

Have you tried using poof? then reenabling the hidden apps.
    If I helped you dont be afraid to click thanks

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kjack05 For This Useful Post:

yogeshjagarwal (01-22-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yes. When I go to Poof, it says they are not being hidden and are turned on. But when I look at my homescreen, they are not there. I placed these apps in Categories called 'Utilities', 'Games', etc. And all the apps that were placed inside these categories have disappeared.

Thanks

if it says turned on that means they are hidden, turn them off to unhide them

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hmmm I think it's the other way around. If it says off, they won't appear and will be hidden.

At the moment, the ones that I have to set to 'ON' appear on my homescreen. If I click one OFF, it won't show up.

Thanks

You are right. Have you tried installing categories and then recreating the folders and adding the apps and seeing if they show up in categories again??

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kjack05 For This Useful Post:

s1ke (12-22-2008)

Thanks

This can be fixed. What is happening is that the springboard.plist that tells Springboard which apps to hide gets restored after the upgrade. When you reload an app from iTunes, and it was in a folder before the upgrade, it won't show up in Springboard, as the Springboard.plist that got restored tells Springboard to hide it. You only need to recreate your folder again, and start adding the apps to them.

You could also try this:

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/native-...ml#post2817051

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jrentzke For This Useful Post:

crashnburn_in (01-20-2009), s1ke (12-22-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

jrentzke - Thanks for the information, I will try the guide you posted. I really just needed to know what file was the one that was holding that information from update to update.

kjack05 - Thanks for your help too. I really appreciate it.

+ Thanks to all.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by s1ke View Post
    jrentzke - Thanks for the information, I will try the guide you posted. I really just needed to know what file was the one that was holding that information from update to update.

kjack05 - Thanks for your help too. I really appreciate it.

+ Thanks to all.
    Sorry I wasnt more help, the same thing happened to me a while back, but It didnt seem to be as hard to fix as yours is. goodluck

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey, I need help!

I have a 3g iPhone running 2.2 firmware and use a vista machine.

I jailbroke my phone using quickpwn 2.2 and all went well. I then installed a few apps from cydia, categories being one of them. I also installed makeitmine(to change the network name). Anyway, had a few problems and had to restore the phone. I did it in itunes and chose the restore from previous backup (not sure if this is half the problem). Anyway, it restored but was not back to the factory image! Cydia and installer app were gone, but so were most of my other apps, including default apps like weather, stocks etc. Now, before the restore I had placed almost all of my apps into categories folders, including the actual categories app itself. I DID NOT un install categories before the restore - I fear this is my problem!

Anyway, I re jailbroke my phone, which went fine. I then went to cydia and re installed some of the apps like categories and makeitmine. They installed fine, but are not visible on the springboard and I cannot find them anywhere! Nor can I find my app store apps that I restored to the phone from itunes. They apps have their options showing in settings, but are not visible anywhere on the spring board.

PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks

Post #29 in this thread:
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/native-...ml#post2926561

or you could just download Poof from Cydia and unhide your icons that way.
    Last edited by jrentzke; 12-25-2008 at 12:53 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jrentzke For This Useful Post:

kpslick (12-26-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Uninstall Problem
    Hi,
    I installed the Categories app from Cydia. I then uninstalled without deleting all folders. Now I have a folder still present but I am not able to install the app from Cydia because it doesn't give me an install option. Is there someway I can cleanup the created folder? Any help will be great!

Thanks,
    Uday.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Categories App dies on me when scrolling to the bottom of the apps list to add them to a Category.

The same thing happens in POOF (to hide apps) when I try to go to the bottom of the apps list to Hide bunch of apps.

I think this is happening when there are too many apps in the list.

Now issue I face is that during some Categories crash, somehow all the Apps that were INSIDE their Categories got "Unhidden" also on the main springboard.

So my Categories Apps were present inside the right Categories but a copy of the same was also on the SpringBoard in some page.

Since, this cause a lot of overflow and unorganized App Icons on SBoard, I went into POOF to go and HIDE all possible Apps that I wont be using from SBoard but only from inside Categories.

During this, when I try to scroll "towards" the bottom of the list.. The POOF app FREEZES on me and I cant do anything.

Please advise what to do?

Is there any other way to change the Categories / POOF - Flags & Settings that put them into a Categories Icon and "Hides" them from SBoard?

Maybe like copy from settings file from iPhone to PC change FLAGs and then push back.

Thoughts?

My iPhone is a Part of Me kwickone's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Categories Help...orphaned category icon.
    Hey all,

I PM'd BigBoss on this, but wanted to see if any of you have seen this or know where to look.

I am using the latest version of Categories (from Cydia). When setting up my Categories, icons and apps, my phone rebooted a couple times. Annoying yes, but it only does this via setup (I am guessing it was a memory thing). Categories does not reboot once setup (for me).

Anyway, I just created a Category and selected an Icon for it, when a reboot occured. Upon coming back up, the icon showed nicely in Springboard....however, the Categories app does not see it. Somehow they got out of whack. Since Categories does not see it, I cannot delete it (it does not show with an X when I press and hold on icons).

Any thoughts? Thanks much in advance.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I sent a PM to BigBoss. Please respond.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default ok......
    so i am running firmware 2.1 on my iphone. i installed and used catagories. i made 3 or 4 folders but for whatever reason i decided to do away with it, but when i went to remove all apps from the folders, one of the folders didnt show up on the edit screen. so when i removed the "catagories" app i was left with a folder on my desktop that i cant edit. there are eight apps in the folder and i cant remove them or delete them...also i cant reinstall them while they are in there. any suggestions?

Thanks

Just SSH into your phone to /Applications
    The categories folder is there as an app, eg Games.app
    Delete the app, and the folder will be gone from SpringBoard.
    Then to get the apps to show app on SpringBoard again, use Poof from Cydia.
    Reboot or respring and all should be well in SpringBoard land.

ps. if you can't or don't know how to SSH, load MobileFinder from Cydia. Navigate to root by pressing the Up button until the path at the top shows a /
    Then go into the Applications folder, select the app folder, press the file button and press delete.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to jrentzke For This Useful Post:

dean.olson1 (01-24-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Hand Editing
    Like many users, Categories is the app I hate to love.

It is indispensable. With over 400 apps on my phone I can't live without it.

But of course with over 400 apps, Categories quickly runs out of memory whenever I want to add more apps to a category. I have taken to creating multiple categories to avoid most of these problems, but let's face it, the iPhone was not made to handle that much memory.

Rather than edit the category list, can't we just SSH into the phone and edit them on our own?

I've looked around don't immediately see this. It isn't in the plist file. (At least not in the plist I looked in.)

I'm happy to accept full responsibility for whatever I break - and promise not to publicly complain if I screw up my phone!

Can you point me to the conf file(s)? Please?