+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: WIFI Sonar?

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
I was wondering if there was an app that would show what wifi's are in range and like a percentage of the range, so you could home in on the
    Thanks

Default WIFI Sonar?
    I was wondering if there was an app that would show what wifi's are in range and like a percentage of the range, so you could home in on the wifi?

Any ideas on an app like that?

Thanks,

Mr. B

XXP
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Stumbler might be what you want
    If you're looking for a direction finder for Wifi access points, I don't know of one. Sorry. BUT:

-- If you're looking for something that will find and identify nearby access points then "Stumbler" in the Installer or Cydia apps lists. I haven't used it so don't know if it's helpful or not.

-- I use the Wifi settings page in the Touch. Give it 5 seconds or so and it will list access points in range with SSID and comparative strength and indicate if they're secure or open. Very helpful.

And finally: if the owner of the access point has registered their device for the pseudo GPS, then you can open the "Mobile Maps" app and tap the "Find my location" icon. If / When it marks "your" location it is actually showing the registered location of the registered access point.

Hope this is helpful.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to XXP For This Useful Post:

mrcoolbp (07-18-2008)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

To be able to find a device that gives off a signal you would need at least 3 points to triangulate the exact position.

With 1 point you have a big circle it could be in
    With 2 you just cut the area down immensely depending on the distance they are from each other.

Other then that Stumbler would be your best bet and just start walking until the signal gets stronger or weaker, and be patient.