Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help! Categories messed up my iphone

Look here http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthr...+icons+missing. There is a M68AP.plist. I used iphone list http://code.google.com/p/iphonelist/ Drilled down thru the directory to /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/ and copied the M68AP.plist, which is located in the first link. Restarted phone and everything was back. But I had to rearrange the icons back to how I had it. There is also another file under that first link for 1.0.2 phones. I am on 1.1.1. So before you try to restore your phone and start from scratch again try this out. It got everything on my phone back to normal. I used the categories for a few minutes, but didnt like the extra step getting to my apps and other stuff so I removed the apps from the categories folders I created and then deleted the categories folders and then rebooted the phone and thats when I lost all my icons on my phone. Luckily I found the information about the M68AP.plist before I restored my phone. Hopefully this helps someone out.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mcgill4 For This Useful Post:

gameon (12-30-2007)

ive had the same problem, installed the plist and fixed it, BUT, i still have the "games" folder on my screen, how do i delete it?

Ill wait until this app is worked out, i really like(d) it.
    Last edited by ScrewDrvr; 12-30-2007 at 01:23 PM.

Thank you all for your feedback. I would still appreciate it if anyone can post corrupted plist files to www.pastebin.com for me so I can see whats going on. I will also try to reproduce issues by adding and removing more categories. I'll try to send out another update later today.

I will also add an option to categories to not touch the display order on the desktop and have it default to on. How this will work is that you will create, add, and delete the categories like you do now, but it will not touch the display plist. You will then have to load customize and hide what you don't want on the desktop. It will be a bit more of a hassle to use but will be totally safe (unless Customize has bugs). That way those of you that want to use it can do so without risk while the rest of the bugs are fixed. Maybe I'll add a link to run customize from within the app for convenience. I knew that editing the display order plist would be risky.
    Last edited by BigBoss; 12-30-2007 at 02:02 PM.
    -BigBoss
    Please do not send me messages here as I never check them. If you need to contact me, send me an email. My contact info is easy to find from inside Cydia.

I didnt got any answers what about iTouch 1.1.2?
    can i install this?

Default Still not working
    Hey MarkMon, After installing Catagories and creating a couple folders, my phone was left with no icons. I have followed the post and I have replaced the M68AP.plist file in my iphone using ibrickr. I restart my phone and still no icons when i reload. I'm running 1.1.2. Any other ideas?

Brian

Markmon, I'm on iphone 112. Categories installs, I can create categories, but I can't add any apps to the categories. When I press 'add' the app just quits back to springboard. I use customize & summerboard.

Any ideas?

I checked the file permissions.

I added an update today that disables (by default) the option for categories to modify the display order to add or remove icons. With this disabled, it will no longer mess up your phone, but you will need to use customize to hide/unhide icons you add to categories. I put a configuration screen in and you can enable the option if you are ok with the risks until they are fixed. I also added a customize shortcut so you can launch it conveniently from the categories main app. Temporarily removed the edit button on the categories individual launchers until stability issue is solved.
    -BigBoss
    Please do not send me messages here as I never check them. If you need to contact me, send me an email. My contact info is easy to find from inside Cydia.

I too used the Catagories app and lost all my icons. I managed to get icons back by following mcgill4 post (thank you). Wasn't sure if ssh would work for the condition my phone was in as I thought you had to switch on ssh on the phone first to allow access, let alone finding phone ip address too, so the iphonelist was a great tool to use and solved my problem.
    I did like the Catagories app as it will tidy up my iphone springboard alot, but now I'm too afraid to reinstall it. Is it confirmed as yet as to the bugs fixed? Once it is confirmed I will reinstall. Great work on all the iphone apps so far, just love seeing what's new on installer every day.
    BTW : Happy new year to you all
    Last edited by gameon; 12-30-2007 at 07:59 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Here i am thinking i was one of the lucky ones that didnt have a problem with this app.
    It was functioning fine, created several Categories, moved apps, and hid apps using customize. Decided to charge my phone and while it was charging attempted to launch an app within one of the categories and it wouldnt launch... decided to restart the phone and relaunch the app however it still wouldnt start. tried another app within another category and it wouldnt launch either....as a matter of fact, all apps within a category will not lauch. However the ones on the springboard, outside a category, launches just fine...

wait a second, just realized the phone no longer goes dark when put into sleep mode
    the screen darkens however i still see the background image...

Rebooted phone and all is functioning well. There are still some bugs, its a great app
    MARKMON (as not even a week ago i was saying to myself i wish i could create folders on the springboard ) but some minor issues still exist.

NES will not launch from within a category which is called Games, the phone has to be restarted, but will launch if loaded from springboard.

kjafoihewapfhaofhew as i was typing and NES failed to load, power cycled phone and guess what.. I now have no icons. uuurrggghhhhh

Im on a jailbroken 1.1.2 and have used customize in the past to re-arrange icons

Anyone else run NES?

UPDATE
    I restarted the phone and everything came back up, all icons still present

anyone else tried running the NES app ?
    Last edited by dmighty; 12-30-2007 at 11:32 PM.

With v1.11 I still can't add any apps to a category - it just crashes back to springboard.

Anyone else have this, or know what could be causing it?

NES will not launch from within a category which is called Games, the phone has to be restarted, but will launch if loaded from springboard.
    NES launches from category for me. What version are you running? Did you take the recent 1.11 update?

With v1.11 I still can't add any apps to a category - it just crashes back to springboard.
    Can you describe exactly what buttons you press from the start of loading the app to the crash so I can try to reproduce it? I cannot get it to crash using add.

I did like the Catagories app as it will tidy up my iphone springboard alot, but now I'm too afraid to reinstall it. Is it confirmed as yet as to the bugs fixed?
    If you take the 1.11 update and keep the option in the configuration screen, "Allow Hide Icons" to "off", you are safe. You will have to use customize to hide the icons manually, however. You'll be safe because this will tell Categories to not even touch the display.plist file.
    -BigBoss

markmon, I launch Categories. I press add to add a category. The category is created. I press on the new category, and it opens with an empty list. I press add, and after 2 sec it crashes back to springboard.

I seem to be in precarious situation now, please help:
    - after trying the above, I launched customize, went into manual icon arrange, moved some apps around, and exit customize. Springboard restarted, I went to the 'slide to unlock' screen, but when I went into springboard all the icons were missing.
    - I had SSH and AFP on, so I replaced the M68AP.plist file via cyberduck. I restarted the phone, and all the icons were back again,

**BUT**

- now SSH & AFP are turned OFF and I can't seem to tun it back on again, using Netservices, Services, SSH or even AFPd. If I loose my icons now, I won't be able to replace that .plist file.
    - how can I fix this from the phone? I have terminal, MobileFinder and Squid. Could I use any of them to start SSH again & how?
    - if I use Terminal from the mac to SSH, I get "Connection refused"
    - also, now UIctl just crashes back to springboard.

What the hell have I done? Help would be appreciated, thanks!

Edit: I re-installed openSSH & AFPd from installer and that started working again. Customize was still messing up the plist though, so I also re-installed that, and now it's all happy again.
    The Customize problem only seems to have started when I launched it from within Categories.
    Last edited by jrentzke; 12-31-2007 at 03:04 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Once when I had a problem with SSH and UIctl, I reinstalled BSD Subsystem. You can try it if all else failed.

Hi,

How can i uninstall "Stocks Display"?

markmon, here is my Categories Crash Report:

http://pastebin.com/m7619cfda

Thanks

No problem running NES with Categories on 1.1.2.

Gameon, glad it worked for you. I found those through some other posts and figured it would be much easier to just type up what I did to get it fixed. Had me nervous for a few moments though when I lost everything, but now its all back.... Audis423 was able to get his back up also, but now this is happening to his, from his PM to me...

Also now my fiance was trying to load customize but it wouldnt come up. I had her uninstall it and try to reinstall it and now its saying you need to have the most recent version, ie 1.1.2 which she does have. When i sync to itunes it said version n/a. I hope that i diddnt delete something i was supposed to when i was messing in there.

So if anyone else is familiar with this, could you help him out? I havent heard back from him. Not sure why his customize wouldnt come up? I am on 1.1.1, so not sure why his 1.1.2 is giving him problems when he tries to reinstall customize or why his itunes cant tell what version hes on. My suggestion was to reboot phone and his windows box and try again. Sometimes its a simple cure all.

Thanks guys for the help....

markmon, I launch Categories. I press add to add a category. The category is created. I press on the new category, and it opens with an empty list. I press add, and after 2 sec it crashes back to springboard.
    I appreciate your detailed explanation and your crash dump. I have 3 phones and a touch here and cannot get these steps to crash any of them When you click ADD on the empty list, the app enumerates the /Applications folder and opens the png icon files in each folder. Do you by chance have anything "weird" in that folder? I have just updated many things and added this to my repository. If the 1.20 update doesnt solve this for you, I may build a special debug version for you to test if you're up for it.

To all: pretty major update posted tonight. Changelog and help are now included as part of the app.
    -BigBoss

20. The Following User Says Thank You to BigBoss For This Useful Post:

jrentzke (12-31-2007)

Markmon:

Have installed Categories and have updated to 1.21. Running FW 1.1.2

Have created 4 Categories (Games, Messaging, Music and Utilities) and used Customize to hide icons and sort remaining icons including the Categorized folders. So far so good. Love the concept.

Couple of questions/nits:
    - Icons for programs included in Category folders are default icons vs my Theme (modified Aqwoah). Anyway to get Themed icons back? Have/use Iphonebrowser.
    - Icon selected for one of the Categories (Music - Iphone icon) doesn't seem to carry forward to SpringBoard. Different icon is shown on Springboard and when touched does open up Category folder correctly

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jayman11 View Post
    yeah, don't install this. If you trybto uninstall it destroys your home screen. I can't restore or anything now. Can't even contact boss tools through installer. Please someone help in fixing this manually!

the more info page gives no instructions, just says if you know ssh you can fix manually.
    Did you perhaps click on "help"? It warns you to make sure your icons are visible and properly ordered Before un-installing Categories? If you guys are too quick to the draw to follow instructions, its your own dang fault.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast