Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Change Application name on Home Screen?

Default Change Application name on Home Screen?
    How do you change the name of an app on the home screen, for example change the apollo.app,"Apollo" to "ichat" or "AIM"? I tried changing it through finder and it does does change the name after you restart the phone BUT when u click to launch the app it reverts back to the home screen and will not launch.

The names that annoy me the most are apollo, gpsphone, mnplight, wedict, and navizon. So if I could change those name to something more relevant then that would be the icing on the cake.

Thanks in Advance!!

I not sure but I think that could become really complicated....

If I helped you in anyway, show some love! hit the thanks button!

For my add on apps all I did was ssh into /Applications and change the directory name of the app I wanted to change the name of.

For example I wass using RSS 1.4.1 and I also had Rss 2.0 installed at the same time while I was trying the new features out.

I had RSS.app/ and I renamed the other folder to Rss20.app/

I have not tried with any of the STOCK apps.

hope this helps
    I have screwed up enough Motorola V series phones
    I guess I will give the ol' iphone a try

4. The Following User Says Thank You to timcki For This Useful Post:

svtguy08 (11-30-2007)

change the file system\library\coreservices\springboard.app\englis h.lproj\LocalizedApplicationNames.strings

add entries for each application you want to change

ex:
    Code:
    	< key >com.apple.stocks< / key>
    	< string >stockz0rz< / string>

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to psybert For This Useful Post:

noelleon (07-29-2009), svtguy08 (11-30-2007), TechnopodMan (04-26-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by svtguy08 View Post
    How do you change the name of an app on the home screen, for example change the apollo.app,"Apollo" to "ichat" or "AIM"? I tried changing it through finder and it does does change the name after you restart the phone BUT when u click to launch the app it reverts back to the home screen and will not launch.

The names that annoy me the most are apollo, gpsphone, mnplight, wedict, and navizon. So if I could change those name to something more relevant then that would be the icing on the cake.

Thanks in Advance!!
    You have to change both names. First you change ie) Apollo.app to iChat.app, then you go inside apollo.app and you'll see a binary file also called Apollo, you need to change this file to iChat so it's the same (case for case) as what you called the .app
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

psybert: it's binary file (i assume). how I can change it?

Thanks

Same way, just change the name. ".app"'s are just package folders, you can go inside them to see the contents. On the iPhone itself, you can just use MobileFinder. If you're connecting with a Mac, just right click on the .app and select "Show Package Contents". I think (not sure) the PC just sees them as folders.

Not true -the binary name doesn't have to match -check out Burp, for example. The Info.plist specifies the binary's name, so unless you edit that, it doesn't matter.

Changing the folder name alone works for third-party apps.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NetMage For This Useful Post:

svtguy08 (11-30-2007)

Thanks

Works for me. So I guess I'm impervious to non-truths.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

svtguy08 (11-30-2007)

Well thanks for the help and suggestions, but I still cant get it to work. For example I would change Apollo.app to AIM.app, then respring and AIM shows on the home screen but launching the app fails or freezes the phone. I would then change the binary to match AIM and once again freezes or fails. All the permissions are set correctly through WinSCP. I also tried this for MNPlight and the same thing happens.

So i know by changing the folder name, Apollo.app to AIM.app it will then show AIM on the home screen BUT in my case, the application no longer works.

Quote Originally Posted by svtguy08 View Post
    Well thanks for the help and suggestions, but I still cant get it to work. For example I would change Apollo.app to AIM.app, then respring and AIM shows on the home screen but launching the app fails or freezes the phone. I would then change the binary to match AIM and once again freezes or fails. All the permissions are set correctly through WinSCP. I also tried this for MNPlight and the same thing happens.

So i know by changing the folder name, Apollo.app to AIM.app it will then show AIM on the home screen BUT in my case, the application no longer works.
    Do what post #4 says. Take it off the phone onto your comp then change the .strings to .plist then use this site http://seto.gni.ch/xmlconvert/ to convert it to xml then open it in wordpad to edit it. To find the < key > < /key > for the third-party apps read the info.plist in each apps folder.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jasper44 For This Useful Post:

svtguy08 (11-30-2007)

Got it! Thanks everybody!

this topic is pretty old, but I dig it out nonetheless:
    The thing is, I found out how to change the application names myself, BUT: It seems impossible to change the name of the MobileMusicPlayer (iPod) application. I have no clue why, but no matter what I type in as a name in the LocalizedApplicationNames it doesn't change.
    Anyone got any clue how to change this? Or how to hide the application names of applications in my dockbar? (because that what I actually wanna do)

thanks