+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: BossTool

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
What I meant is that I don't like some of the extra symlinks Cydia does (sure, we can just remove them, but read on) as well as some of the
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

What I meant is that I don't like some of the extra symlinks Cydia does (sure, we can just remove them, but read on) as well as some of the things it doesn't hit. For example, I symlink root's Media directory to mobile's, saves me a lot of headache with older apps that try to install to root or just /private/var.

That includes the DockSwap directory in /private/var/root/Library being symlinked to the proper spot in mobile's Library. Something about knowing exactly what's been done is more settling for me.
    I came, I saw, I forgot what the hell I was there for.

My iPhone is a Part of Me MattMac's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah, yeah. I get you.
    I have trouble grasping the whole symlink thing..
    Confuses me. But I'm sure if I looked into it I would understand. I'm happy using Cydia for now.
    16GB iPhone 3G
    2.2 Pwned
    Dedicated Cydia User

2.2 GHz Intel MacBook

Mac OS X 10.5.5
    Bootcamp w/ Windows XP

Thanks

Think of symlinks as the Darwin/Unix equivalent to aliases in OS X, shortcuts in Windows. I just catch a few extra places that older apps might install to just to prevent annoyance later, though my restores have been few and far between in the last few months.
    I came, I saw, I forgot what the hell I was there for.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kcrmson View Post
    Think of symlinks as the Darwin/Unix equivalent to aliases in OS X, shortcuts in Windows. I just catch a few extra places that older apps might install to just to prevent annoyance later, though my restores have been few and far between in the last few months.
    Yeah, yeah i know all that...
    I just confused on how I do them...
    Like do I have to have the two folders made to link them... Just confuses me, the process making them...
    16GB iPhone 3G
    2.2 Pwned
    Dedicated Cydia User

2.2 GHz Intel MacBook

Mac OS X 10.5.5
    Bootcamp w/ Windows XP

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

boss tools worked like a charm for me, it freed 132mb out 300mb and it never went below that even after the numerous amount of installed apps about 6 pages worth.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MattMac View Post
    No. Uninstall BossTool. Then add Cydia's source, as per my post. Install Cyida found in the System category.

It will move any app you already have installed and and app you install via Cydia, Installer, or even manually install will automatically be on the second partition.

You must use symlink for the apps to still work... Do you move them to a different directory then the /var/stash?

Hi, I had installed BossTool earlier which screwed my phone up hence this post exist and I have restored my phone and have not since downloaded BossTool. However i am using Boss Prefs to disable EDGE. Anyway, I am just wondering if Cydia frees my space automatically whenever I install new apps from Installer and Cydia? Would appreciate if I could get a clear answer to this...

Oh another thing is, I have recently opened up Cydia and it said my version was awfully old (LOL) and I needed to update or something so I did... when it was refreshing it said downloading packages etc and it came out this Package error - Sub process bzip2 returned an error code (2) and i had to press Okay... and it turned out to be i have 41 upgrades waiting for me to upgrade. MY question is, what is that error about and shall I upgrade the 41 packages?

PS: my Cydia.app was from the iLiberty+ payload, not from installer source...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by squaresoft View Post
    Hi, I had installed BossTool earlier which screwed my phone up hence this post exist and I have restored my phone and have not since downloaded BossTool. However i am using Boss Prefs to disable EDGE. Anyway, I am just wondering if Cydia frees my space automatically whenever I install new apps from Installer and Cydia? Would appreciate if I could get a clear answer to this...

Oh another thing is, I have recently opened up Cydia and it said my version was awfully old (LOL) and I needed to update or something so I did... when it was refreshing it said downloading packages etc and it came out this Package error - Sub process bzip2 returned an error code (2) and i had to press Okay... and it turned out to be i have 41 upgrades waiting for me to upgrade. MY question is, what is that error about and shall I upgrade the 41 packages?

PS: my Cydia.app was from the iLiberty+ payload, not from installer source...
    Yes, Cydia automatically puts the new apps you download from either Cydia or Installer onto the second drive, hence you won't run out of space unless you have alot of music or videos.
    I said that somewhere above, but I hope that's clearer.

Next time you restore, dont use iLiberty to install Cydia, I would suggest installing it straight form Saurik's source (apptapp.saurik.com) because it will be the most up to date version. Less hassle then...

But for now ignore the error and just run the 41 updates. It's best to get them done and out of the way. Then that should also eliminate the error your getting.

Hope it's helped
    16GB iPhone 3G
    2.2 Pwned
    Dedicated Cydia User

2.2 GHz Intel MacBook

Mac OS X 10.5.5
    Bootcamp w/ Windows XP

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MattMac For This Useful Post:

squaresoft (05-26-2008)

Thanks

have posted a thanks to you. But i went to check my disk space using Boss Prefs, it still says 58MB free of 300MB, it's been decreasing since I last restored and installed new apps I don't know why. I have updated everything needed in Cydia...

iPhone? More like MyPhone ifini's Avatar
    Thanks

Guys

DO NOT use bosstools on 1.1.3 and 1.1.4

With reference to
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/file-mo...s-1-1-4-a.html

Execute these commands in vTerm or Putty. I used Terminal on my Mac

cp -Rp /Library/Ringtones /private/var/mobile/Library/
    mv /Library/Ringtones /Library/Ringtones.old
    ln -s /private/var/mobile/Library/Ringtones /Library/Ringtones
    rm -rf /Library/Ringtones.old

That'll relocate the Ringtones.

cp -Rp /System/Library/Fonts /private/var/mobile/Library/
    mv /System/Library/Fonts /System/Library/Fonts.old
    ln -s /private/var/mobile/Library/Fonts /System/Library/Fonts
    rm -rf /System/Library/Fonts.old

That'll relocate the Fonts and free up much space on the small partition.

cp -Rp /Applications /private/var/mobile/
    mv /Applications /Applications.old
    ln -s /private/var/mobile/Applications /Applications
    ln -s /private/var/mobile/Applications /private/var/root/
    rm -rf /Applications.old

That'll relocate the Applications and symlink both possible places it could be looked for at.

Worked like a charm. Please thank Kcrmson for this

Thanks

have posted a thanks to you. But i went to check my disk space using Boss Prefs, it still says 58MB free of 300MB, it's been decreasing since I last restored and installed new apps I don't know why. I have updated everything needed in Cydia...
    Maybe it has something to do with the iLiberty payload. I suggest restoring your iPhone and once done, go to Installer and add this source: apptapp.saurik.com

The go to the system category and select Cydia Installer. Hit install and wait for it to finish, then tap "Fake BSD Subsystem" and install that too.

And you should be right to go. I have never had any problems using this method.
    16GB iPhone 3G
    2.2 Pwned
    Dedicated Cydia User

2.2 GHz Intel MacBook

Mac OS X 10.5.5
    Bootcamp w/ Windows XP

Thanks

is it OK if I do it without restoring? (i.e., just add the source and get cydia off installer so that it replaces the current Cydia I have) It's too much work reinstalling the apps I already have now. I have 2 and half page worth of apps and reinstalling big stuffs like Band instrument packs, iPhysics level packs, and summerboard theme packs take ages!

The method provided by ifini is too complicated for me I cant seem to understand sorry.

Thanks

Well you can always try, I'm sure it will work. And if it goes wrong, then you can always restore to get it right.
    16GB iPhone 3G
    2.2 Pwned
    Dedicated Cydia User

2.2 GHz Intel MacBook

Mac OS X 10.5.5
    Bootcamp w/ Windows XP

Thanks

Just to inform that I have installed Cydia from the installer this time, it's asking me to download Fake BSD subsystem which I don't know where to find it. It's not anywhere in the Installer.app nor in Cydia...

BUT hey! instead of 51MB left, I have 112MB left I wonder if that's normally the capacity people do have as spare after this Cydia operation thing...

EDIT...... errr ...ok...... that's weird cuz fake BSD subsystem IS installed in my iphone but I do not know when... anyway thanks for all the help i think this is well sorted now! thanks!
    Last edited by squaresoft; 05-26-2008 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Just to inform that I have installed Cydia from the installer this time, it's asking me to download Fake BSD subsystem which I don't know where to find it. It's not anywhere in the Installer.app nor in Cydia...

BUT hey! instead of 51MB left, I have 112MB left I wonder if that's normally the capacity people do have as spare after this Cydia operation thing...

EDIT...... errr ...ok...... that's weird cuz fake BSD subsystem IS installed in my iphone but I do not know when... anyway thanks for all the help i think this is well sorted now! thanks!
    I have 129mb free, so your fine. Lol, I don't know how Fake BSD installed itself, maybe Cydia does if for you now when you download it... Not sure. But if it there don't stress too much.

Well happy modding now that you can get so many more apps.
    16GB iPhone 3G
    2.2 Pwned
    Dedicated Cydia User

2.2 GHz Intel MacBook

Mac OS X 10.5.5
    Bootcamp w/ Windows XP

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MattMac For This Useful Post:

squaresoft (05-27-2008)

Thanks

you deserve another thanks... cheers...

Thanks

Haha, thanks. Hope this helps others too.
    16GB iPhone 3G
    2.2 Pwned
    Dedicated Cydia User

2.2 GHz Intel MacBook

Mac OS X 10.5.5
    Bootcamp w/ Windows XP

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smirkis View Post
    all u needa do is move fonts, it gives you more then enough space for apps n stuff. i dont understand why people always try to move apps, they use less space then everything on your phone. and usually case problems for people who have no idea whats going on
    I did it but the same happens i can't start my iphone now...some thing is wrong..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jnieves View Post
    I did it but the same happens i can't start my iphone now...some thing is wrong..
    Have you read the whole thread?
    Use Cydia...
    16GB iPhone 3G
    2.2 Pwned
    Dedicated Cydia User

2.2 GHz Intel MacBook

Mac OS X 10.5.5
    Bootcamp w/ Windows XP

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12