Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Repeating SMS alerts?

Default Repeating SMS alerts?
    I have upgraded from a Nokia N95 to an iPhone and I had an application called RemindMe that would constantly remind me of a SMS, Email or Calendar event every 2 minutes until I read it - is there something available like this for the iPhone?

If not, is there a way to change the SMS tones to play a music track so it is louder and plays for longer.

My iPhone is 1.1.4 and is jailbroken.

Thanks
    Mark

caterpillar is the easiest solution i can think of for you as far as the reminding it does however cost $$. To change SMS tone use the search feature! I don't have time to look for you but maybe some benevolent soul will... or maybe you should

Caterpiller looks like it may do the trick. Are there any others that do this specifically as I don't need a lot of its functionality.

Just found SMSNotify in the installer. This looks like it does kind of what I want but just doesn't do the sound.

Can it be customised to do the sound also?

Has anyone else used this app?

Thanks
    Mark
    Last edited by mdavenport; 04-30-2008 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I wouldn't get caterpillar unless you REALLY want it cause you can't remove it

I had to restore and jailbreak again because it was all still there after I uninstalled it

I would recommend getting SMSNotify cause its simple and won't put too much onto your phone

My iPhone is a Part of Me MattMac's Avatar
    Thanks

For SMS ringtones, you have to get an app called Ringtones. Ironic huh?

Ringtones converts songs on you iPhone to either SMS or Call ringtones. Best app ever!

Do a search for the source.

Quote Originally Posted by woodtrain54 View Post
    I wouldn't get caterpillar unless you REALLY want it cause you can't remove it

I had to restore and jailbreak again because it was all still there after I uninstalled it

I would recommend getting SMSNotify cause its simple and won't put too much onto your phone
    Yes you can. You just have to go back into the Caterpillar app and click the red uninstall button in the to right corner and un-check all the options THEN uninstall from installer
    Last edited by MattMac; 04-30-2008 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    16GB iPhone 3G
    2.2 Pwned
    Dedicated Cydia User

2.2 GHz Intel MacBook

Mac OS X 10.5.5
    Bootcamp w/ Windows XP

I am struggling to find the community source for the "Ringtones" installer app. Searching doesn't really help as it just brings loads of ringtones sites etc.. Can anyone tell me who wrote the application so I can search for it that way?

Thanks
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by matt4iphones View Post
    Yes you can. You just have to go back into the Caterpillar app and click the red uninstall button in the to right corner and un-check all the options THEN uninstall from installer
    ha i wish i knew that last week

Ok so I tried caterpillar and found that the SMS notification didn't work, along with the Smart Dialer. I am running 1.1.4 jailbroken.

Has anyone else expereinced simialr problems?

Also SMSNotify appartenly doesn't work with 1.1.4

Am I out of options?

Thanks
    Mark

Try this, it works good for now until the app store opens:

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthr...light=reminder

Can this be installed using the installer program. I am not that familar with command line.

I am using Windows PC with a 1.1.4 iphone.

Is there a GUI for the configuration etc?

Looking at the application it is exactly what I am after...

If you read the thread, there isn't a GUI for the app. You will need to copy the files to the phone with SSH installed. Then get a program off of the installer called Ulctl to start the processes for each of the services that you want to monitor. (i.e. missed calls, mail, text msg)

How do I execute the command he mentions on my iPhone, see below:-

cd /Library/LaunchDaemons
    launchctl load -w com.mailReminder.plist
    launchctl load -w com.phoneReminder.plist
    launchctl load -w com.smsReminder.plist

Do I need a terminal app on the phone, if so which one?

Thanks
    Mark

With the apps on the install called Ulctl

Ok, so have done the following but its not working:-

1. Installed Ulctl from the installer
    2. Downloaded the Reminder.zip from here: http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthr...light=reminder

3. Instal OpenSSH on iPhone
    4. Installed Winscp on PC
    5. Connected to iPhone using WinSCP and could browse folders
    6. Copied the following files from the zip file directory (Reminder\Icons\Taskbar Notifier Replacement Icons):-

Default_CALLT.png
    Default_EMAILT.png
    Default_SMST.png
    FSO_CALLT.png
    FSO_EMAILT.png
    FSO_SMST.png

to /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app

and the com.*******.plist files to /Library/LaunchDaemons

7. Restarted my iPhone
    8. Ran Ulctl and clicked on each of the .plist files and selected load -w

I don't get any notifications for phone call or SMS. I haven't tried emails.

Here is a copy of my plist for sms reminders:-

==============
    PHP Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
        <key>Label</key>
        <string>com.smsReminder</string>
        <key>OnDemand</key>
        <true/>
        <key>ProgramArguments</key>
        <array>
            <string>/sbin/Reminder</string>
            <string>-s</string>
            <string>-r</string>
            <string>Harp</string>
        </array>
        <key>StandardErrorPath</key>
        <string>/dev/null</string>
        <key>StandardOutPath</key>
        <string>/dev/null</string>
        <key>UserName</key>
        <string>mobile</string>
        <key>WatchPaths</key>
        <array>
            <string>/var/mobile/Library/SMS/sms.db</string>
        </array>
    </dict>
    </plist>
    ==================

The tone is set Harp but it doesn't have .m4r on the end - should it? My ringtones do existing in the correct folder..

I feel like I must be missing something or have done something wrong.

Also I don't know how to do the command line arguments as mentioned above. Could it be these arguments that are stopping it from working?

All help appreciated...

Something I have just noticied is that when I go into Ultctl the com.****.plist files are Red and when clicked on give the option to LOAD -w again. Shouldn't these remain loaded?

Thanks
    Mark

Think there must be something with this part of the .plist for SMS and Phone because if I remove the line:-

PHP Code:
    <string>/var/mobile/Library/SMS/sms.db</string
    the ultctl automatically loads the com.SMSReminder.com

and if i leave this line in then its red and has to be loaded each time I start the phone.

The same is done for the phone.db in the other plist file.

Could it be the username is incorrect for the file?

Thanks
    Mark
    Last edited by mdavenport; 05-01-2008 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

In order to reminder to work, you have to change the permissions for Reminder, using the following command:
    chmod 755 /sbin/Reminder

I think Reminder it's a great application.

I need this app!!! Waiting for unlock of iPhone 3G...

Ive been using PhoneAlarm (The BEST Application ever) for Windows Mobile for years, and need something close for the iPhone.

Need... Custom alert tones for certain SMS numbers, with a default for unknown numbers. Same for email notifications would be great!

Any ideas if you are going to put this up on the App. Store? Take a look at PhoneAlarm (http://www.pocketmax.net/phoneAlarm.html)for some ideas where this app. should be headed.

Please help!!! Get this on iPhone 3G ASAP!