+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tutorial: How to put SMS ringtones

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
This is a guide how to change the SMS ringtones on your 1.1.1 iPhone on a Mac Please note that I tried this with no longer than 5 seconds long
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Lightbulb Tutorial: How to put SMS ringtones
    This is a guide how to change the SMS ringtones on your 1.1.1 iPhone on a Mac Please note that I tried this with no longer than 5 seconds long files. If somebody tries it with a longer one - please post here with the result.

I'm using Switch to convert mp3 to aiff (here's the link - http://www.nch.com.au/components/switchmac.zip ).

Step 1. Choose the file you want and convert it with Switch to .aiff.
    Step 2. Use Fugu to ssh into the iPhone. Go to /System/Library/Audio/UISounds.
    Step 3. Find the files sms-received$.caf, where $ stands for 1, 2, 3 til 6 and choose one of them. In my case I am using sms-received6.caf, because I don't like the Electronic ringtone anywayMake a back-up of this file on your computer.
    Step 4. Now you have to rename the file that you created in step 1 to the same name as the file you have chosen in step 3 - in my case sms-received6.caf (Be sure you change the file extension as well and not make it sms-received6.caf.aiff).
    Step 5. Using again Fugu put the newly renamed file into the same dir (/System/Library/Audio/UISounds) and restart the iPhone.
    Step 6. Now in Settings -> Sounds change the New Text Message sound to the one you just put in (in my case I have to pick the Electronic one) and you are good to go.

And here is which file corresponds to which name:
    sms-received1.caf -> Tri-tone
    sms-received2.caf -> Chime
    sms-received3.caf -> Glass
    sms-received4.caf -> Horn
    sms-received5.caf -> Bell
    sms-received6.caf -> Electronic

EnJoy

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VladTheImpaler For This Useful Post:

lilmizqtpi81 (04-13-2008), mrsidewayzz (11-03-2008), one1 (07-11-2009), rdawodu (12-08-2007), se23 (12-27-2007)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

are the original text message sounds encoded??? i want to take the glass text sound and raise the gain so its louder but i try to with a program and it wont let me open it ???

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Red face do u have to jailbreak to do this?
    how do u access that folder? and cant u just make a clip of the song (or sound, watever) on itunes, convert to AAC, find the folder containing the file, change the extension to ".caf"? (im asking, not saying thats wut u need to do)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

it keeps on playing even i already read the message.......

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zaibatsu View Post
    it keeps on playing even i already read the message.......
    Did you add a long sound clip? It will play for as long as the clip you upload is. You need to make it the length you want it to play for.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

wondering if anybody could help...i used itunes and converted an mp3 file to aiff...i put the aiff file on my desktop and tried to change it to sms-received6.caf...i can change the file name but the file type stays as aiff...how can i get it to caf? im using windows

Thanks

thanks so much, it worked like a charm, just wish you didnt have to keep it the name of orignal file , pretty lame, lol...... :-) so you can do this with all the UIsounds? my question is how do you know which sounds are which???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by recon02 View Post
    wondering if anybody could help...i used itunes and converted an mp3 file to aiff...i put the aiff file on my desktop and tried to change it to sms-received6.caf...i can change the file name but the file type stays as aiff...how can i get it to caf? im using windows
    With the file converter he gave you the link for in the start of this thread...
    Or use wavepad from the same link. After you clip the song it will give you the option to save it in any file type you want. After you load it into where he sated above, just right click on it & delete the afi off the end & leave the caf. it works like a charm. Good luck.
    "Win or lose, I promise you violence"

Wanderlei Silva

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Using a 20 second SMS ringtone for over 6 months now --- no problems. (1st gen 8GB, 2.1)
    Also using Notifier (with a 1 minute reminder). SMS's can get very annoying, but that's exactly what I want. (haha)
    Last edited by Mes; 11-02-2008 at 09:10 PM.

Thanks

I have a 30 second SMS tone going.

The only bad part is that when you unlock the phone it keeps going till the tone ends.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mrsidewayzz's Avatar
    Thanks

this is great!
    mrsidewayzz
    iPhone 2G 16GB, iPod Classic 120GB
    MacBook 13.3" 2.0ghz 250GB 2GB
    YNSA, USN

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by koompi View Post
    ..The only bad part is that when you unlock the phone it keeps going till the tone ends.
    Also keeps going even if the phone was unlocked and reading the SMS (haha). Minor issue (to me)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    does the lenth of the ringtone have any limitation ?

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spikedfo View Post
    does the lenth of the ringtone have any limitation ?
    Yes. I don't remember exactly how long is 'too long', but during my testing, a 'too long' ringtone just wouldn't play. Thinking it was 45-60 seconds. Mine currently works at 20 seconds, another poster at 30. Good luck.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by infamous12550 View Post
    With the file converter he gave you the link for in the start of this thread...
    Or use wavepad from the same link. After you clip the song it will give you the option to save it in any file type you want. After you load it into where he sated above, just right click on it & delete the afi off the end & leave the caf. it works like a charm. Good luck.
    Why would you bump an old thread, to answer a 7 month old question? I'm sure he has either found the answer, or hasn't checked back. And a ringtone can not be longer than 40 sec. Any small length more, will render the ringtone unplayable.

Reako

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I need real help! cant figure this stuff out.....need a little help to get started.....trying to get some new sms ringtones set up

iPhone? More like MyPhone fletch33's Avatar
    Thanks

im using 2.2 on a 3G and this worked perfect.

thanks
    "i believe louisiana is the pelican state"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fletch33 View Post
    im using 2.2 on a 3G and this worked perfect.

thanks
    Can you show a little love & help me out pleeeease? I need the the original files sms-recieved3.caf. & sms-received6.caf if you have them saved or still on your phone... I changed them for my girlfriend & when I backed them up to my pc they somehow got erased, & now she doesn't like the ones she had me make. So I need to put the stock ones back on now. Please! I'll be your best friend... ;-)

I think I might be losing it here... So I am almost positive the 2.2 update changed some of the sms tones, & I lost my back ups after changing them & really need the stock sms-3 & 6 files. Fletch33 hooked me up, but they are the old files. Can anyone help me out w/ the new ones? Thank you.
    Last edited by infamous12550; 11-25-2008 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Win or lose, I promise you violence"

Wanderlei Silva

iPhone? More like MyPhone fletch33's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by infamous12550 View Post

I think I might be losing it here... So I am almost positive the 2.2 update changed some of the sms tones, & I lost my back ups after changing them & really need the stock sms-3 & 6 files. Fletch33 hooked me up, but they are the old files. Can anyone help me out w/ the new ones? Thank you.
    you might be LOL

i took those off my 2.2 iPhone and then sent them to you.
    "i believe louisiana is the pelican state"

21. The Following User Says Thank You to fletch33 For This Useful Post:

infamous12550 (11-30-2008)

Thanks

i had my custom sms's working just fine before 2.2. the above guide is what i have always used and it has always worked. now they wont work at all. i tried everything i can think of- please help! thanks in advance