+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: successful tether with dns

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
hi there everyone! i have a wifi bot with a full on board computer, and i have a data card where i can put my sim card into and the
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default successful tether with dns
    hi there everyone!

i have a wifi bot with a full on board computer, and i have a data card where i can put my sim card into and the robot will have internet through that method, but i wanted better way then having to remove my sim card every time. so i remembered tethering is possible when one has a data plan on their phone.

i have successfully tethered my iphone to my laptop(robot) with tinyproxy with http proxy in firefox.
    the problem now is i have a server program for the robot that i want to forward a port to the iphone and run a dns server so the whole laptop will have internet, like the second part of steps 5 and 6 in this link.

i tried freecap but i can't get it working fully i get a number 14 error from tinyproxy.

i just realized that that page uses i different method of tethering, and that named bind port wont work with tinyproxy method, someone correct me if im wrong because i haven't gotten them to work together, i hang as starting named due to access permissions.

i tried tethering following that links method of tethering but, i cant get it working.

has anyone gotten the dns proxy to work with tethering? or freecap to work with tinyproxy?

*side note* many props and thumbs up go to ziphone 3.0 and the plugin system, i used it and, smoothly to installed bind/dns.

well i got the permissions all worked out and got named and everything running, but i guess the dns server on the phone is different then what i want.

im trying to mess with tinyproxy and get it to work with freecap, i think its the best bet. anyone got that combo to work? i think i need to add a more to tinyproxy's conf file, maybe more ip range and more config, it was stripped pretty heavily.
    Last edited by seesoe; 04-07-2008 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Here's a link to my favorite method of tethering. It's a bit cumbersome to set up, but once it's done it works quite well. I took it a small step further and also created a little Springboard app to launch slirp on the phone, so I don't have to use Terminal to fire it up.

http://nsgn.net/better_iphone_tethering/overview.htm
    Last edited by DaveiPhone; 04-07-2008 at 05:52 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hmmm, that looks pretty good.
    i can do just about all the steps with sftp/openSSH with filezilla in windows.
    but im not sure how i would generate the public key under windows?

Thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

how exactly does the tether work? does it just forward the whole edge and you just connect your laptop to it like you would to a router?

http://pigtail.net/LRP/printsrv/cygwin-sshd.html
    Last edited by seesoe; 04-09-2008 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

yeah i would like to know also. tinyproxy didnt work for my windows laptop. im running 1.1.4 btw

Thanks

Yes, if you use slirp, it is just like having edge connected to your laptop. With most of the other solutions, only http works...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

im toying around with this method, i have a dd-wrt voip router, and since it has linux, and ppp server on it, im working on tethering the phone to the router then the router will just... well just route the net lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

the ddwrt router has pptp server and client, and its able to accept connection as isp from pptp link. but im not sure how to get this all running.

i would configure the pptp server no?

i can't use the tether shell script, instead i have to to set everything manually.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I followed the method posted by DaveiPhone above, last night, and completed all the steps without a hitch. Unfortunately, as soon as I tried to fire up srelay on my iPhone 3g, it responded by saying "Killed" and back to the terminal prompt.

Is this because of an issue between slirp and the 3g? Does anyone know how to get this method working on the 3g??