+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mywi Wifi hotspot not working

is a discussion within the

MyWi

forums, a part of the

Rock Your Phone Discussion

section;
Dear all, i purchased MyWi not too long ago and was successful in tethering on USB. However, when i tried to do Wifi Hotspot, it is not able to be
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Mywi Wifi hotspot not working
    Dear all,

i purchased MyWi not too long ago and was successful in tethering on USB. However, when i tried to do Wifi Hotspot, it is not able to be detected by any mobile phones. I emailed to IntelliBorn but was asked to come here to seek advice. Like to check is there any settings that should be done, it is useless to me if i cant use it for Hotspot Tethering and IntelliBorn should just state that it is not certain phones rather than make users pay and find out that it is not usable....

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 4,203 Posts

Mine does this also work when it wants to. Dunno what's up with it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
    Mine does this also work when it wants to. Dunno what's up with it.
    HI 2k1, u mean you're having the same issues too?

2k1
    Thanks

Yep I'm on iPhone 5 6.1 if that helps

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
    Yep I'm on iPhone 5 6.1 if that helps
    I'm using an iPad to do tethering do mobile phones but apparently. its not as accurate as stated in their advertisement as i can't do any darn hotspot to any mobiles.....

2k1
    Thanks

Have ya tryed reinstalling it?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I think the issue is the iDevice is turning off the wifi to save power. I don't know if it's an apple issue or something the app doesn't manage to do on all firmwares. You can see lots of complaints in the apple forums that the wifi gets turned off to save battery, whereas 3/4G could turn off in favor of wifi and save lots of battery life.

I use the following as workaround currently, I have safari on a auto reload page. When I feel like it, I'll try to see if pings or wget webpage downloads from a command line script can keep the iPhone's power usage at full. iDevices act differently in sleep mode depending on whether they are running on battery, are plugged up, lose their external power connection. Other possible solutions might be downgrading to 5.1.1 or using 6.1.2--I'm still in the 3 day free testing.

If this has nothing to do with your issue, you should check the wifi channels in use in the area, operate on the most unused channels 1, 6, or 11 that don't have channel interference, and keep trying including doing manual connections and no wep security.
    Last edited by lotsOdata; 05-10-2013 at 03:22 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have an iPhone 5 running 6.1.2 with evasi0n jailbreak and having several issues. lately mywi doesnt work if I get a device to see the mywi hotspot and connect it has no internet. Most of the time the devices dont even show the hotspot. Also it seems to crash everytime I try to use it. Anyone have any helpful advice?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Unfortunately, having the same problem here. Could it have to do with the auto-shutoff WiFi? My router shuts off around 11, and I use my iPod off of my iPhone's internet connection using MyWi 6 to get a connection, but sometimes the Hotspot will just disappear. I might try TetherMe tonight, and see how that fares.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

First off There are two types of WiFi networks Infrastructure and Ad-Hoc.
    Infrastructure is the mode that all wireless routers/access points operate in and is the best option.
    Ad-Hoc is essentially peer to peer WiFi where devices communicate directly to each other, used as a backup in situations where an Infrastructure network isn't available.

Not all devices are capable of creating an infrastructure based hotspot, it's highly dependent on hardware and drivers.
    All WiFi enabled devices can connect to Infrastructure networks but not all mobile devices are capable of connecting to Ad-Hoc. Some devices leave ad-hoc support out specifically to prevent tethering.

There is an option in MyWi's Advanced WiFi settings called AP mode.
    If your idevice supports Infrastructure, you'll see the Infrastructure option in the list.
    If not you will only see Ad-Hoc.

Now that that's out of the way

Here is what I did to troubleshoot my 3GS with 6.1.2 (evasi0n) and MyWi 6. (only supports Ad-Hoc)

I was having lots trouble with tethering so I decided to run a WiFi network scanner (inSSIDer) on spare machine (running win7) while I toggled MyWi on/off and I used the SBsettings drop-down window to check the WiFi IP, I also disabled auto lock.

I noticed that the DHCP server was timing out or not working so the WiFi IP reverted to a random private IP instead of the IP you see in MyWi's WiFi DHCP Network setting.

I started off by going into ios settings and having the phone forget my home WiFi network so it wasn't trying to reconnect and interfere with MyWi. I also made sure no other tether apps were installed from Cydia. I also removed the WiFiBooster mod in case it was interfering. I closed all apps re-sprung and rebooted.

-I opened up MyWi advanced settings and hit reset all. closed MyWi , re-sprung and rebooted.
    -Opened MyWi, changed the ssid, no encryption, channel 6, transmit 100%, disabled on demand, set WiFi timeout to never, WiFi sharing off. closed MyWi , re-sprung and rebooted.
    -Opened MyWi again, this time I toggled wifi hotspot on. the SSID appeared in SSIDer and in the available network list on the laptop I was trying to tether.

I didn't connect right away, I just left hotspot running to see what would happen. I watched inSSIDer and after around 30 seconds I noticed the signal meter stopped changing, the graph literally looked like MyWi had flat-lined. I refreshed the network list on the laptop and did not see MyWi.
    I repeated that several times and realized MyWi uses a random MAC/hardware address every time it is toggled on and off. That explains part of another problem I was having while trying to get a travel router to connect it, but that's for a different thread.

Once I got tired of watching the MAC address change I tried connecting to the hotspot from the laptop before the signal timed out. Success!!
    Turned hotspot off and removed the network from the laptop and tried again. I was able to connect, so long as I tried to connect before the hotspot signal timed out.

Once I had the laptop connected the hotspot stayed active for quite a long time. It probably helped that I had disabled auto-lock.
    Unfortunately A few days later I ran into some trouble with WiFi sleeping after I re-enabled auto-lock.

If you're still having trouble and the devices you're trying to tether have bluetooth I'd suggest going that route since it can be faster and is a lot more secure than ad-hoc WiFi with WEP.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MastarPete View Post
    First off There are two types of WiFi networks Infrastructure and Ad-Hoc.
    Infrastructure is the mode that all wireless routers/access points operate in and is the best option.
    Ad-Hoc is essentially peer to peer WiFi where devices communicate directly to each other, used as a backup in situations where an Infrastructure network isn't available.

Not all devices are capable of creating an infrastructure based hotspot, it's highly dependent on hardware and drivers.
    All WiFi enabled devices can connect to Infrastructure networks but not all mobile devices are capable of connecting to Ad-Hoc. Some devices leave ad-hoc support out specifically to prevent tethering.

There is an option in MyWi's Advanced WiFi settings called AP mode.
    If your idevice supports Infrastructure, you'll see the Infrastructure option in the list.
    If not you will only see Ad-Hoc.

Now that that's out of the way

Here is what I did to troubleshoot my 3GS with 6.1.2 (evasi0n) and MyWi 6. (only supports Ad-Hoc)

I was having lots trouble with tethering so I decided to run a WiFi network scanner (inSSIDer) on spare machine (running win7) while I toggled MyWi on/off and I used the SBsettings drop-down window to check the WiFi IP, I also disabled auto lock.

I noticed that the DHCP server was timing out or not working so the WiFi IP reverted to a random private IP instead of the IP you see in MyWi's WiFi DHCP Network setting.

I started off by going into ios settings and having the phone forget my home WiFi network so it wasn't trying to reconnect and interfere with MyWi. I also made sure no other tether apps were installed from Cydia. I also removed the WiFiBooster mod in case it was interfering. I closed all apps re-sprung and rebooted.

-I opened up MyWi advanced settings and hit reset all. closed MyWi , re-sprung and rebooted.
    -Opened MyWi, changed the ssid, no encryption, channel 6, transmit 100%, disabled on demand, set WiFi timeout to never, WiFi sharing off. closed MyWi , re-sprung and rebooted.
    -Opened MyWi again, this time I toggled wifi hotspot on. the SSID appeared in SSIDer and in the available network list on the laptop I was trying to tether.

I didn't connect right away, I just left hotspot running to see what would happen. I watched inSSIDer and after around 30 seconds I noticed the signal meter stopped changing, the graph literally looked like MyWi had flat-lined. I refreshed the network list on the laptop and did not see MyWi.
    I repeated that several times and realized MyWi uses a random MAC/hardware address every time it is toggled on and off. That explains part of another problem I was having while trying to get a travel router to connect it, but that's for a different thread.

Once I got tired of watching the MAC address change I tried connecting to the hotspot from the laptop before the signal timed out. Success!!
    Turned hotspot off and removed the network from the laptop and tried again. I was able to connect, so long as I tried to connect before the hotspot signal timed out.

Once I had the laptop connected the hotspot stayed active for quite a long time. It probably helped that I had disabled auto-lock.
    Unfortunately A few days later I ran into some trouble with WiFi sleeping after I re-enabled auto-lock.

If you're still having trouble and the devices you're trying to tether have bluetooth I'd suggest going that route since it can be faster and is a lot more secure than ad-hoc WiFi with WEP.
    That helps out immensely. Right now, I turn on Insomnia, then MyWi on channel 4, WiFi auto shutoff to never, Wifi sharing off, infrastructure. iPhone 4.

What I really don't understand is why the device would change MAC addresses randomly. I don't have a problem if I keep insomnia on, but using TetherMe, I need to connect before that timeout, also.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What I really don't understand is why the device would change MAC addresses randomly. I don't have a problem if I keep insomnia on, but using TetherMe, I need to connect before that timeout, also.
    Just thought I'd add something I noticed a couple days ago.

I added a WiFi adapter to my Win7 desktop and created an Ad Hoc network with internet sharing enabled. The setup effectively mimics what MyWi does, minus the wifi power-save timeout , and that's when I noticed Win7 also uses a random MAC address when the "connection" gets toggled on/off.
    So the random MAC appears to be part of the way Ad Hoc is intended to work. I have a few thoughts as to why, but I'm not sure enough to say.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MastarPete View Post

-Opened MyWi, changed the ssid, no encryption, channel 6, transmit 100%, disabled on demand, set WiFi timeout to never, WiFi sharing off. closed MyWi , re-sprung and rebooted. <--- I didn't do this. Instead exited MyWi, killed its' process then...
    Thanks! This fixed MyWi so it would work again for me. The only difference is where I added the bold above in your quote. I noticed when I did the reset all in MyWi step that my iphone 5 took FOREVER to come up (silver Apple logo at boot was stuck for at least 3 minutes). I was worried my phone was bricked, knowing I cannot re-jailbreak\restore to a jailbreakable version, but fortunately it finally booted up. Whatever was going on there was probably what fixed MyWi. Thanks!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bencjedi View Post
    Thanks! This fixed MyWi so it would work again for me. The only difference is where I added the bold above in your quote. I noticed when I did the reset all in MyWi step that my iphone 5 took FOREVER to come up (silver Apple logo at boot was stuck for at least 3 minutes). I was worried my phone was bricked, knowing I cannot re-jailbreak\restore to a jailbreakable version, but fortunately it finally booted up. Whatever was going on there was probably what fixed MyWi. Thanks!
    yeah the respring and reboot was just me being overly cautious in making sure any possible memory leaks were cleared up between MiWi launches. Entirely optional but it is the more thorough way to rule out that kind of hidden problem.