Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MyWi 5.0 USB Tether OS X Not Working

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Exclamation MyWi 5.0 USB Tether OS X Not Working
    Hey Everyone,

I'm running a Verizon iPhone 4 with iOS 5 GM. I purchased MyWi 5.02.3 yesterday and I am only able to tether via WiFi or Bluetooth. I cannot get the USB tether to work.

When I turn on the USB tether function in MyWi, my MacBook Air says it is connected under "Network Preferences." It even has an IP address. When I open up Firefox or Safari, I cannot connect to the internet.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Nearly 190 views, and no replies...? I guess I am the only one with this problem.

Same problem here!

Same problem here. iPad, 5.0.1, win7.

It appears that bridging isn't working. I've tried auto and 3G bridging, rebooting the laptop, disabling and re-enabling USB, etc. No dice.

Default MyWi 5.0 no longer working
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtpease View Post
    Nearly 190 views, and no replies...? I guess I am the only one with this problem.
    In between my last MyWi usage about a month ago and yesterday, I did up grade my primary MacBook Pro to OS X 10.7 Lion and at first I suspected the upgrade to somehow be related. However, after verifying across all machines (Lion and Snow Leopard), I cannot connect to the Internet.

Details:

iPhone 4 v4.2.1
    MyWi v5.0 (previous full license, but now on new three-day trial due to "extensive work required" to create this latest build...per the developer).
    Successful connection is made, proper IP address is assigned, WEP enabled and disabled, etc.

Bottom line: Although Console shows Airport successfully negotiates a connection to the iPhone, I cannot get connectivity to the Internet via any browser. I sent an email to the developer via the in-App support page, but thus far no response.

Default USB Tether working, but iphone fails to surf...
    Since updating my iphone 4 to iOS 5.0.1 w/ latest untethered jailbreak and Corona 1.0-3 for smoother restarts, MyWi 5 will allow USB tethering to my MacBook Air running 10.7.2, but when tethered the phone no longer has "local" internet connectivity (my Mac can surf, but the phone fails).
    Even when I disconnect MyWi, the phone fails to surf until I restart it...

Quote Originally Posted by DavidIanWarren View Post
    Since updating my iphone 4 to iOS 5.0.1 w/ latest untethered jailbreak and Corona 1.0-3 for smoother restarts, MyWi 5 will allow USB tethering to my MacBook Air running 10.7.2, but when tethered the phone no longer has "local" internet connectivity (my Mac can surf, but the phone fails).
    I am having this same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidIanWarren View Post
    Same issue here when MyWi 5 is stopped. iPhone reboot required for ANY data connection.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Wish the dev would fix this.

Support emailed me and told me to install Corona 1.0-3 and that would fix it. I tried and it didn't make any difference. I still have to reboot the phone every time I use MyWi.

Default Fixed my issue
    I just re-ran the jailbreak using the latest version of redsn0w and is now working correctly. be sure to to not re-install Cydia the second time.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Ya connection and all works.

Default I was having same problem.......until!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtpease View Post
    I got busted by AT&T for using tethering last year cause I was watching Netflix & sling box on my computer hours on end, so I stopped. I just downloaded mywi again on my iphone4 & couldn't use the wifi function (didn't try to tether after last time) but it didn't work UNLESS I left the security "unsecured", which I didn't want to do! I started tinkering with the settings and FINALLY went to "settings" in the app & switched the "CLASSIC PAGE" button to OFF! What do u know......it WORKED for wifi connection:-D. Side note, I have a "chain link" symbol on my device instead of the regular "wifi" symbol on the device I'm trying to sync to. Good luck!

The "chain link" on your ipad is because you are connected via the Apple-built-in (but usually disabled) tethering method called "Personal Hotspot". This is probably how AT&T caught you last time. I don't know if that "personal hotspot" (what it is called in the settings on the phone) allows you to use it in wifi mode, but that is the same symbol I get on my ipad when I am connected via bluetooth right now, because of all the problems with MyWi Ondemand.

FYI: OnDemand doesn't work with laptops. For that kind of connection, and the least possibility of being found by AT&T... I would use the USB connection method. That also continuously charges the battery in the phone from the computer. The classic page (as far as I have experienced) doesn't help or hurt the other functionality. It is only an aggregate page of all the other settings.