+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Does AT&T know if you're tethering with MyWi

is a discussion within the

MyWi

forums, a part of the

Rock Your Phone Discussion

section;
So how exactly do I go about abusing my unlimited plan? Just curious.
    Green Apple
    Thanks

So how exactly do I go about abusing my unlimited plan? Just curious.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Perhaps yelling at it, or touching it inappropriately...
    ;-)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,075 Posts

Simple you have the unlimited data so that could be seen as a privilege and with every privilege there is responsibility and with responsibility there always comes abuse
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

PDANet has changed their program to hide tethering from AT&T.

iClarified - Apple News - PdaNet Gets Updated to Hide iPhone Tethering From Carriers

AT&T can track it so I guess MyWi is behind the ball game.

Edited: 5/9/2011
    Here's more info to prove this

http://www.maclife.com/article/news/...broken_iphones
    Last edited by csewrx; 05-09-2011 at 12:31 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

OK....I'll ask it....MyWi is honestly one of the most expensive freaking Cydia apps out there, where the hell is updated support to prevent the AT&T monitoring like PDAnet? I mean is it really too much to expect better support on a $20 app?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

They're not going to do it. They made their money, they don't want to put in the work to fix it and so my guess is they are done with it. I have written several emails (well over 2 dozen) to them asking for them to fix it and support and not one reply in 2 months. That's piss poor customer service. I switched to PDAnet and will continue to use them.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I just got a new iPhone 4 only a month ago, and had it jailbroken the first day. Now, I USB tethered on and off with my old 3G when at my work PC, mostly to get around the increasingly fascist website-blocking happening (couldn't even download Firefox or Chrome, FFS, nor even visit any part of the Apple website!) I started to tether on my new iPhone 4 as well. I never got any e-mails or text messages, but today I did get a text about upgrading to tethering, so I'm wondering if the older iPhones operated differently in regards to the tethering detection.

I'm glad PDANet offers the ability to hide tethering use.

Quote Originally Posted by csewrx View Post
    They're not going to do it. They made their money, they don't want to put in the work to fix it and so my guess is they are done with it. I have written several emails (well over 2 dozen) to them asking for them to fix it and support and not one reply in 2 months. That's piss poor customer service. I switched to PDAnet and will continue to use them.
    I agree. I used to have a 3G with MyWi 3.0 and iOS3 running on it. Not too long ago I did something bad which ended up bricking it, so I had to restore it to the factory 3.x and then re-jailbreak it. Now, the developers of MyWi had to write MyWi 4.0 from the ground up to be compatible with iOS4, and unfortunately decided to remove MyWi 3.0 from the Cydia store. This also means that I was unable to re-download MyWi 3.0, even though I had bought and paid for the full version, which of course IS STILL compatible with iOS3. I contacted them and they said “Sorry, you need to buy MyWi 4.0 because 3.0 is no longer available.” So, I can't re-download a product that I paid for, and could still use, because you say so? No thanks...

I tried out the trial version of MyWi 4.0 and had too many issues with losing the internet. Even though the app said I was still connected, all attempts to browse the internet on the tethered computer, even with USB tethering, would only work for a few minutes before timing out indefinitely.

Ended up purchasing PDANet myself, and was even happier that the license carried over to my brand new iPhone 4 without the need to repurchase.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

So apparently MyWi can release an update (that you have to pay for mind you) for iOS 5 but still can't hide from AT&T? Seriously, these people need to have better support.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Got my notice today about tethering. Used it last month while on vacation. But my AT&T BIlling website doesn't say that I went up to 4GBs. The most it shows is 2.2GBs for the last billing period.

I played dumb but the guy pretty much knew, i'm sure everyone who is using MyWi will start getting emails and messages.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Got my notice yesterday. I have been tethering my computer on and off since all this started earlier this year without any notice. I changed my ttl and have been using safari browser with the user agent changed to iphone mobile safari 4.1 with no problems so far. Well this past weekend I decided to get a little bold and tethered my iPad2 via wifi on mywi. Well needless to say I got the notice 3 days later. So I called played dumb and said I watched a netflix movie on my camper's tv. Of course they say thats tethering when we all know it's not. She also gave me the BS about listening to pandora through my car stereo is tethering, so I asked her about plugging my headphones in and listening to pandora. Apparently that's not tethering because your not using your car speakers to hear the music??? I laughed my head off and told her thanks for clearing up that ATT is putting their own definition on tethering to suit their needs. All in all I still have my unlimited plan.
    Last edited by sirlance0505; 09-22-2011 at 10:43 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have been tethering my computer on and off since all this started earlier this year without any notice. I changed my ttl and have been using safari browser with the user agent changed to iphone mobile safari 4.1 with no problems so far.
    Wouldn't AT&T looking at what websites your going to, and whether they are mobile or not be a violation of privacy?

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123