+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Doesn't seem to work with iPhone4

is a discussion within the

MyWi

forums, a part of the

Rock Your Phone Discussion

section;
I have the iPhone 4 with the stock firmware, and whilst I see my ad-hoc network on my laptop, it refuses to connect. It just times out. I use a
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Doesn't seem to work with iPhone4
    I have the iPhone 4 with the stock firmware, and whilst I see my ad-hoc network on my laptop, it refuses to connect. It just times out. I use a co-workers iPhone 3GS, iOS 4 and it works fine. Everything is the same other than channel and SSID broadcast name.

Please advise as if this works, I'd buy it immediately.

Thanks

Works great on my iPhone4...

iPhone? More like MyPhone hapishyguy's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a problem where everything is installed fine but when I turn this app ON, no other device can find it. Any help?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Is there any way for me to diagnose it? I am using hte same laptop to connect with my colleagues iphone 3gs. Everything else seems to be configured correctly. It just tries to connect but eventually it jsut times out.`

Green Apple
    Thanks

I had similar symptoms as you are describing. Turns out it was because MyWi was turning my wifi on [even though I had purposefully turned it off so it would use 3G] and connecting to my company wifi, which has a lot of firewalls and restrictions. To get around that, I had to go into the wifi settings and forget that network so it couldn't auto connect to it, and THEN it would use 3G and my laptop could then connect without issue.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

TT- I think you are onto something because I do get weird wifi issues after i give up on the mywi. it will say 3G but there will be checkmark next to my wifi network. let me try this when i get back to my laptop again.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Just to clarify after reading what I wrote: I have to "Forget this network" in my normal wifi settings so that it wouldn't auto-connect to anything when wifi is turned on my MyWi, and THEN start up MyWi. Just in case that wasn't clear

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Should I disable wifi completely? Or will that break out mywi works since the ad-hoc network needs to be created.

Well, regardless, I forgot the wifi network I was currently connected to, and i tried mywi again and it still doesn't work. It just tries to connect and eventually gives up. Doesn't provide an error, just bails. When I try my colleagues phone it seems to work pretty instantly.
    Last edited by Lord Helmut; 08-17-2010 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

I actually have a post with no replies here asking about that kind of... From what I've seen, even if you turn wifi off completely, the first thing that MyWi does when you enable wifi tethering is to turn wifi back on and try to connect to wifi. So it doesn't matter if you do or not.

I don't understand this functionality myself. I would have thought they would have made it so that if you are connected to wifi and then start MyWi, then it would use the wifi network you are connected to. But if you WEREN'T connected to wifi, it would assume you want to use 3G. After all, how often would you want to connect you iPhone to an existing wifi network, and then have your computer connect to it via the iPhone? The iPhone is just the middle man at this point. Why not just connect the computer DIRECTLY to the existing wifi??

Bummer... guess it's a different issue then.
    Last edited by TTGator; 08-17-2010 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Are there logs or other items I can access via ssh or something? It is weird, it seems it wants to work, but the laptop won't connect. The laptop does work with another phone. Perhaps I will try another laptop - perhaps this one just hates my phone?

Green Apple
    Thanks

No log files I'm aware of. Others on here seem to have been able to update their network adapters on their laptops and had success... maybe give that a try?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Wow, I'll be damned. I tried my older Dell D800 and it worked fine with whatever I had on it. My brand new E6510 doesn't seem to be liked by my iPhone 4, whilst it had no issues with my manager's 3GS. I will try on my mac tonight and it alls well, I am definitely buying this app. Thanks TT if your help!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Connects as Ad-Hoc
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmut View Post
    Wow, I'll be damned. I tried my older Dell D800 and it worked fine with whatever I had on it. My brand new E6510 doesn't seem to be liked by my iPhone 4, whilst it had no issues with my manager's 3GS. I will try on my mac tonight and it alls well, I am definitely buying this app. Thanks TT if your help!
    Many folks are saying that 'updating your network adapter drivers works...' sometimes works...

Reason is, newer drivers are configured to use adhoc, and some are not.

Go into your device mgr and select properties o. The adapter making sure that ad-hoc is selected... That IS the key.

Anothher issue is that if your device is set to auto-connect to the wifi, then I can see where forgetting that network will help, but what will REALLY help is a MANUAL:

1. Ipconfig /release
    2. Ipconfig /renew

Please do reply if this works for you...

Green Apple
    Thanks

By "forgetting the network" I was referring to having the iPhone forget all in range wifi it knows about so that MyWi won't try to use it. If you understood that, then I guess I don't understand how releasing the DHCP given IP address and renewing it comes into play.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hello i have a iPhone 4 running iOS 4.0.1. Since i jailbrake it i installed Mywi app and it works good over USB mode but i cannot get it to work vía wifi. Each time i tried it said "stopping mywi or wifi off or wifi not connected" i also reinstalled the app but still the same.Anyone having the same problem?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

what do you mean ad-hoc is selected? i see ad-hoc channel. thats about it for ad hoc on the properties page.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i have the same problem. I have tried a dozen on more times to start mywi and it starts and then shuts down. I have uninstalled and installed twice to no avail. It worked the first first time i bought it and installed it but not since. I have not found a manual anywhere and for a $19 app, I am dissappointed that I can;t find support anywhere.

Any one have any new thoughts?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It runs fine for me on my Apple notebook, but I can't get it to work on my PC XP...! It works with my iPad also...!

I have tried connecting using static IPs and that did not work either.

Great App...is is a shame it does not work for PCs

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by socceteer View Post
    It runs fine for me on my Apple notebook, but I can't get it to work on my PC XP...! It works with my iPad also...!

I have tried connecting using static IPs and that did not work either.

Great App...is is a shame it does not work for PCs
    Huh? Have you read none of this thread? It works on PCs.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i tink I figured it out. I've been testing in my house. Even if you tell the phone to forget other wifi profiles, it doesn't like other profiles. As soon as I tested it away form the house, it broadcasted fine. Turned off fine and went back to normal afterwards.