Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: older version 3.x upgrade to work on iPhone 4?

Default older version 3.x upgrade to work on iPhone 4?
    I liked MiWi enough that I gladly purchased it to run on my iPhone 3G. It worked well and I was satisfied with the features. I was very suprised to find that when I upgraded to the iPhone 4, the older version of MiWi no longer worked. My only option seemed to be to upgrade to the new version of MiWi, which only feature seemed to be that it worked on the upgraded phone OS.

I appreciate that the developer is giving previous owners a break on the price to get the upgraded version, but I don't think it is very ethical to draw upon paid customers for yet more money to simply ensure that the application they paid for, continues to work on the new version.

Yes, I know software companies do this all the time. But there are also those that don't. It is hard to justify the expense to upgrade to MiWi 4 which does not really add anything more than tweaks and bug fixes.

I guess that is the difference between the App store, and jailbreaking and paying for third party apps. Apps on the App store are supported much better and a vast majority of upgrades are gratis. I just want the app that I purchased to work on my upgraded phone like every other app that I have purchased. MiWi is the only application in dozens that I have purchased that wants more money to continue working.

I think I am going to cut my losses. I don't feel like paying an upgrade fee for MiWi every time Apple upgrades the phone's OS.

Default Yep
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisame View Post
    I liked MiWi enough that I gladly purchased it to run on my iPhone 3G. It worked well and I was satisfied with the features. I was very suprised to find that when I upgraded to the iPhone 4, the older version of MiWi no longer worked. My only option seemed to be to upgrade to the new version of MiWi, which only feature seemed to be that it worked on the upgraded phone OS.

I appreciate that the developer is giving previous owners a break on the price to get the upgraded version, but I don't think it is very ethical to draw upon paid customers for yet more money to simply ensure that the application they paid for, continues to work on the new version.

Yes, I know software companies do this all the time. But there are also those that don't. It is hard to justify the expense to upgrade to MiWi 4 which does not really add anything more than tweaks and bug fixes.

I guess that is the difference between the App store, and jailbreaking and paying for third party apps. Apps on the App store are supported much better and a vast majority of upgrades are gratis. I just want the app that I purchased to work on my upgraded phone like every other app that I have purchased. MiWi is the only application in dozens that I have purchased that wants more money to continue working.

I think I am going to cut my losses. I don't feel like paying an upgrade fee for MiWi every time Apple upgrades the phone's OS.
    I agree. Their site says 'free upgrades', but there is another place that says something to the effect "major upgrades are not free."
    So buyer beware.

I bought the version 3 MyWi and I'm very happy with it on my 3g phone, but I recently deleted the Rock app and it deleted the MyWi too.
    I contacted Cydia and they told me that the app is no longer available and they have not decided what to do about it. So I'm out a app because Cydia bought Rock and can't decide what to do.

Have 3gs; 3.1.3 jb; new bootram. First thing I purchased was MyWi. But as the upgrades came (through Rock), I never had to pay for them. So, I don't understand the problem. Also, I was thinking about trying to delete the Rock app, but decided to leave it anyway, for no reason other than it takes up no space and Cydia never gave any instruction on removing it. So, I figured it must have a purpose. Now I have read the posts, and apparently, it does have a purpose. Of all the apps, this one is the most important to me. I have been away from home and not had access to WiFi, so the app has saved me there. In addition, I have lost my hardwire internet connection/electricity at home and needed a backup. So, MyWi has been a lifesaver.