+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MyWi will ATT charge you?

is a discussion within the

MyWi

forums, a part of the

Rock Your Phone Discussion

section;
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- phone: iphone 3gs black 3.1.2 jailbroken by Blackra!n. I have just installed MyWi to my iphone, i have not yet tried it. I am afraid i started using it
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default MyWi will ATT charge you?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    phone: iphone 3gs black 3.1.2 jailbroken by Blackra!n.

I have just installed MyWi to my iphone, i have not yet tried it. I am afraid i started using it that i would get charged by at&t for tethering.... will this happen?

Please let me know if I will get charged if I begin tethering by using MyWi.

Thanks!

Thanks

Thats a good question... I wonder if the data looks the same.
    i'll subscribe in case you get an answer i'd like to see as well.
    ~0okami

Thanks
    Thanked 9,122 Times in 2,709 Posts

I currently use MyWi to tether moderately and have been tethering for a few months now through other apps. My bill is still the same. There's a "supposed" limit to unlimited data useage so I recommend you use it moderately. I think gaming and other heavy useage will trigger an alert on your account. But I think if you are a moderate user you will be fine, for now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by metaserph View Post
    I currently use MyWi to tether moderately and have been tethering for a few months now through other apps. My bill is still the same. There's a "supposed" limit to unlimited data useage so I recommend you use it moderately. I think gaming and other heavy useage will trigger an alert on your account. But I think if you are a moderate user you will be fine, for now.
    Thats kind of what I figured. Occasional youtube, streaming audio, nothing out of the iphone ordinary.

That 5gb limit... I don't remember reading about it in my contract but I suppose it's fair enough for me. I don't use near that much over tethering anyway. AT&T should not call it unlimited. Thats just False Advertising IMO but thats a whole different topic.

I'll keep anyone posted if they complain about me tethering...
    ~0okami

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well the iPod data service really is unlimited. It's the same as the data service for any smart phone. The 5 GB limit comes form the tethering plans. You can pay an additional $30 to have the capability of tethering your smart phone to your laptop but your data plan goes from unlimited to a 5 GB limit. And if you try to connect your computer to a phone that doesn't have the tethering plan it won't work. As for this bit of software I'm not sure if AT&T can tell what device is actually using the data so as long as it works without having to call AT&T and tell them to add tethering you should be OK.

Metaserph did you have to modify your plan to get it to work?
    Last edited by gn0me; 12-02-2009 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

It all boils down to the Access Point Name (APN) used.

If MyWi is configured to use WAP.CINGULAR, it will NOT show up as tethering, but if it is ISP.CINGULAR, there may be charges.

The user name for both is: [email protected], and the password is CINGULAR1

I don't think we have anything to worry about. metaserph has been using it for more than one billing cycle, so it is highly likely that WAP.CINGULAR is used. There is absolutely NO difference between the two other than the name. Speed, reliability of connection, etc. are all the same! It would be silly for the software maker to use anything other than WAP.CINGULAR.

Hope this helps.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I was thinking about the situation and wondered if there was anything I could do about it. I'm probably going get called some fairly bad names for telling this, but I actually called AT&T and talked to a rep about it. I'm on an unlimited data plan on a 16Gb 3Gs, I spoke to the rep and told him "I was concerned about my ""unusually"" high data traffic" and that I wanted to try and "avoid any charges". I just simply asked about the 5Gb limit. He told me that no such limit exists, that I could use up all the data I wanted-what he said was "unlimited really is unlimited". Not only that, he put a "note" on my account stating that IF I do receive any data overage charges, it would be automatically removed from my bill. This is my only source of Internet for my family, three of us using it at the same time every night and I haven't received any charges what so ever.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think I want to call you any names at all, sir! I think you handled that well with CS, and received a good answer!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thank you! I thought "why not!", and it paid off pretty well!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Since my business depends on reliable internet access, I use MyWi as my backup connection. And thank Rock and now Cydia for it. I have had situations where I needed MyWi when my hardwaire connection failed. I can see getting rid of one's hardwire connection if internet access isn't critical.

iPhone? More like MyPhone bchilton9's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't know if I would put money on this but one AT&T rep told me the unlimited plan is you get unlimited connection but 5gigs transfer. Meaning you can be connected as long as you want but once you start transferring (opening page downloading ect) it cuts into your 5gigs. I took it as a marketing gimmick so they can advertise "unlimited". Anyhow I am using tetherme, witch enables the native tethering to use USB or Bluetooth and I have not had any extra charges. But I don't use it a lot.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I wouldn't put my money on that either. That makes absolutely no sense. Thus my experiment BEGINS! I'm only half way through my billing cycle and I deliberately went over 5 gigs, WAY over. At the time of this post, I'm at eight gigs of usage. When my next bill comes, I'll post the results. For those of you refusing to be told what to do with the service that YOU PAY FOR, for those who refuse to be disconnected from the world simply due to location, FOR THOSE WHO WANT THIER MONIES WORTH...THIS...IS...FOR...YOU!!!! (awesome, I know)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I use mywi now to link my iPad to my iPhone 4 and I have not seen any change in my bills so I think you should be good but I am not sure about the 5 gb cap I don't know why or how you would use that much data tethering it is not ment to be your primary Internet connection

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Mywi stays on constantly with my iphone4 plugged up I do all my stuff on my iPad at work I even link my MacBook and watch slingbox simutanisly no difference in my bill during the last 6 months

Best app ever mywi 4.0
    SkiHound ,,, Loves his Iphone,

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Well, when your in college with a family of four and can't afford a real ISP, then it becomes your primary connection. Also keep in mind, not all the usage comes from MyWi, I do use the phone itself. In regards to the 5GB limit, I'll say this-he informed that there is no limit, and if it turns out one exists, at least two people are going have a very bad day and one is going to have a very good day.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nic8850 View Post
    I use mywi now to link my iPad to my iPhone 4 and I have not seen any change in my bills so I think you should be good but I am not sure about the 5 gb cap I don't know why or how you would use that much data tethering it is not ment to be your primary Internet connection
    No cap that I know of. I occasionally go well over 5GB and never a peep from AT&T. I know one of their OSP engineers and the old "unlimited" plan is truly unlimited. They have eliminated that plan so only us grandfathered users still have it and always will unless we opt for a new number. Upgrades will keep the unlimited plan as long as the phone number does not change.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jwlussow For This Useful Post:

stlcaddie (10-14-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    There you have it. This blog should be a testimonial.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Awesome
    pylesrm, your awesome! I wanted to check in on this and see how your experiment has gone? I have the old unlimited plan and eventually will buy an iPad when they finally release one with a camera. It would be nice to not buy the 3G iPad and not pay for tethering since I'm basically paying for unlimited already. How's it gone? Any upped fees or concern from AT&T about traffic yet?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I'm not awesome, you are. Right now my usage is at 12.7 gigs and the last day of my billing cycle is tomorrow. I'm excited and worried. I have not received any over-usage notices or anything of the like. I'll let you know as soon as I know.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up. I'm also curious how this will pan out over the long haul. If AT&T does a data review or just a review of accounts once a year or quarter, curious.