+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MyWi will ATT charge you?

is a discussion within the

MyWi

forums, a part of the

Rock Your Phone Discussion

section;
Originally Posted by pylesrm I'm not awesome, you are. Right now my usage is at 12.7 gigs and the last day of my billing cycle is tomorrow. I'm excited and
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pylesrm View Post
    I'm not awesome, you are. Right now my usage is at 12.7 gigs and the last day of my billing cycle is tomorrow. I'm excited and worried. I have not received any over-usage notices or anything of the like. I'll let you know as soon as I know.

13 gigs?? holy crap!

Anyways, curious to see how it ended out..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I still haven't gotten the bill yet. I can't wait to see it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    **UPDATE**
    I just got my bill & at 13.5 gigs of usage my bill was EXACTLY the same. No change at all! Awesome.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pylesrm For This Useful Post:

NiMexicatl (10-21-2010), SepticTank (10-28-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Dude! That is Awesome!! Remember to check back and post like in January. I'm curious to see if they ever catch on.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ViperJPB View Post
    Dude! That is Awesome!! Remember to check back and post like in January. I'm curious to see if they ever catch on.
    I was posting a similar Q (didn't see this topic in search) and there a thread in Mac Rumors where members are asking if Att would know you are using tethering, even with MyWi.

Seems no one has a clear answer. To pay for tethering for an extra $20 a month is ludacris

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yeah from the looks of it, they can't tell. Or they don't care. I think they might quarterly do a data review would be my guess...and you may get dinged with charges then. But I have found no evidence of anyone geting charged for it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ViperJPB View Post
    Yeah from the looks of it, they can't tell. Or they don't care. I think they might quarterly do a data review would be my guess...and you may get dinged with charges then. But I have found no evidence of anyone geting charged for it.
    I totally agree with your comment.

I'm about to purchase it but I wanted to make absolutely SURE, Att doesn't come after you for it. How can they know if you're tethering anyways? I have 2gb of data but I have wifi at home but my fiance and I use our 3G outside the house if no wifi is available. So this app is actually very useful for us as we both have iPhones and a laptop.

I wouldn't go bonkers on usage though. I think Att is just making an attempt to get more customers by OFFERING tethering but I don't see how they would know or even bothering going after someone.

They should be concentrating on other issues like getting a 4g network infrastructure up.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hey everyone, something I wanted to share. Although I didn't get any charges to my bill, I think it may have caused internal damage to my iphone. Ever sense all that happened, my connection on my PC when using MyWi goes in and out at about twenty minuet intervals. Now, on a computer that usually indicates an electrical issue, in that case it's usually a voltage overload and the systems knows to breaks the connect rather than cause damage. It may have cause damage with the wi-fi components. It don't know if that is in fact the case, I'm simply equating the two. Everything on my phone works just fine, even when still connected. It works just OK now, it might be something completely different, it's just a change I've noticed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SepticTank View Post
    I was posting a similar Q (didn't see this topic in search) and there a thread in Mac Rumors where members are asking if Att would know you are using tethering, even with MyWi.

Seems no one has a clear answer. To pay for tethering for an extra $20 a month is ludacris
    I'm wondering the same thing for T-Mobile as they just recently jumped the "charging for tethering" bandwagon. I use TetherMe and I was wondering if T-Mobile can tell that I'm tethering via USB..

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

I doubt that they can tell, the creators of MyWi probably just make it work with a toggle

I have an AT&T unlimited data plan and I went to 12 gigs one month case I was using Netflix and I wasn't charged even though AT&Ts cap on unlimited is 8gigs

That being said I used an app to achieve that so I would guess the creators of MiWi would had found a way around this though of course this is a guess

Please thank me if I've helped somehow lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ive been thetering for years and never paid for it.Ive gone over 5gb about a dozen times over 4 years and no one has said anything. I use to thether my old WinMo phone 24/7 and they never knew the diffrence. Its 100% true if u can thether without calling into modify plan they cant tell the diffrence. I'm pretty sure the post about which access point the phone connects to is wheter they charge u or not, for I know with my old WinMo (HTC Tilt) that was the only diffrence in the paid thether app and the one buried in the OS that I used to avoid charges.

I will say though on months Ive taxed the connection downloading torrents and going over 5gb i did seem to get wayy slower upload speeds the more I used the connection. And wow can speeds vary BIGTIME depending on where you are.

Thanks

All that matter is that your APN stays wap.cingular, which it will. isp.cingular is the APN that AT&T uses to track tethering, which it WON'T do, unless you're stupid enough to call in and ask if it's OK. Although even THEN, they won't change your APN.

Re-lax! And tether away. TetherMe from Cydia is all you need unless you want to start an ISP of your own, by the way.
    (2011) Mac mini Core i5-2520M 2.5GHz-3.2GHz (Turbo Boost) | 8GB DDR3 RAM | AMD Radeon HD 6630M | 27" LED Cinema Display | 6TB GRAID | 3TB Time Capsule 4th gen | iPhone 4 | iPad 2 | Apple TV 2nd gen. | Magic Trackpad | I surrender...

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12