Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MyWi and VPN is it possible?

Default MyWi and VPN is it possible?
    Hi, in the release not I did not find anything about VPN.

I want to avoid AT&T noticing my packets of tether use, I would like to make a VPN connection from the iPhone before setting up the tether. They'll still see the amount of traffic, but not the content. For all they know, it could be a network-hungry iPhone application.

Can this be possible with WiMy? I read that PdaNet allows this on several versions ago. I'm on the fence between which app to purchase. I'm leaning toward MyWi because of having a personal hotspot to share with others. But, I want the content hidden.

bozo8787,

I installed MYWI today and have been having problems with the PPTP VPN client running under Mac OS X SL 10.6.2.

Very Strange... I can make the connection, (to many VPN servers running from OS X Server)
    But I noticed ARD Control sessions do not work, and Browsing to an Internal IP address port 80 in Safari does not work.

SSH Seems to be ok....

I did try L2TP sessions, and they all seem to work just fine... Im having trouble with PPTP though...
    Are you running under mac?

Quote Originally Posted by RandomPlanet View Post
    bozo8787,

I installed MYWI today and have been having problems with the PPTP VPN client running under Mac OS X SL 10.6.2.

Very Strange... I can make the connection, (to many VPN servers running from OS X Server)
    But I noticed ARD Control sessions do not work, and Browsing to an Internal IP address port 80 in Safari does not work.

SSH Seems to be ok....

I did try L2TP sessions, and they all seem to work just fine... Im having trouble with PPTP though...
    Are you running under mac?
    No I'm not on mac. Further, I dropped this project after googling myself out and seeking support from many places but did not get too far.

Default Nope
    Doesn't work. The phone gets in fine, but leaves the tethered connection outside of the VPN.

This is just a routing issue, and seems like it could work with a little modification. If it's a something you want, ask for it. I think the $10 could be better justified if this worked the way you would expect it to.

Default VPN Connection
    I am running a IPSec Cisco VPN and the connection works fine. I am able to hit internal sites and RDP to servers.

iPhone 3GS 3.1.2
    Mac OSX 10.6.2