+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Does it delete everything on the device?

is a discussion within the

MyWi

forums, a part of the

Rock Your Phone Discussion

section;
EDIT: SORRY... POSTED IN WRONG SECTION. Can a MOD please move to " 3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch > Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion >
    Thanks

Default Does it delete everything on the device?
    EDIT:
    SORRY... POSTED IN WRONG SECTION. Can a MOD please move to "3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch > Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion
    > Rock Your Phone Discussion" ??

I have a jailbroken device already with a whole bunch of stuff... When I follow the directions to put device in recovery mode, does it restore the device? I don't want to loose all my apps and settings that I've gotten through Cydia.
    Last edited by AndrewBucklin; 07-24-2009 at 12:26 PM.
    ===========================================

DFU Restore Mode - Quick How-To:
    1. Power phone OFF.
    2. Hold power + home for 10 seconds.
    3. Let go of power and continue to hold home until iTunes finds the phone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    no, recovery mode just allows the iPhone to be put in a state for it to be restored. you wont lose anything UNLESS you put it in recovery mode and restore the device. if your in recovery mode to get back to normal just hold the home and sleep buttons until the screen goes black and turn on normally.

Thanks

So, when I download "Rock Your Phone" and follow the step by step guide to put the app on my iPhone, it will just add it to my already long list of apps on the device? I just wanted to make sure when I followed those steps that it was not reformatting my iPhone and re-imaging it...

1. Power phone OFF.

iPhone? More like MyPhone JustinPizzle's Avatar
    Thanks

Ya, think of recovery mode as a prep. (same for DFU). Only acually restoring the.firmware will erase your settings, or if you erase all data from the restore section in settings.

Thanks

Oh, ok; so kind of like Recovery Console for Windows XP? Allows you to change system files, etc... Things you can't do in normal mode or safe mode because the files are in use...

I understand now.. Thanks!

Well, I started the process, and now it seems to be in recovery mode. The software says "Installing (see phone for progress)". When I open iTunes, it says it found an iPhone in recovery mode and asks me to restore it...

I sure hope all my stuff isn't gone! --I closed and reopened the Rock Your Phone software on my PC which detected the iPhone in recovery mode and then tried to put it back into normal mode... The Apple logo stayed on the screen for a while, then it flashed black, then the Apple logo, then the screen went black again... Then a couple seconds later it came back up...

CYDIA IS GONE!
    All my CYDIA apps also seem to be gone!!!
    All the default Apple apps are gone too! Like the Camera, Photos, Mail, iPod, etc etc etc...

WTF!!!

WTF!!!

EDIT:
    Confirmed that all the original iPhone Apps as well as the Cydia apps are showing up in /private/var/stash/Applications --How do I get them to show back up on the spring board?

EDIT:
    I was able to get all my apps back... There was a new folder in /private/var/stash called "Appplications.uRmS5v" with the "RockApp.app" folder in it. I used SSH to duplicate all my apps from /private/var/stash/Applications into that folder. Rebooted (or respringed) and now all my default Apple apps and Cydia apps are back (although rearranged..lol)
    Last edited by AndrewBucklin; 07-24-2009 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

1. Power phone OFF.